| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| pics another valve disaster broke piston http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=90346 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | TKB4 [ Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:20 pm ] |
| Post subject: | pics another valve disaster broke piston |
I finally got around to disassembling the engine on a salvage jeep I bought 2 years ago. I was told it was run with low oil by the wife and locked up but the engine turned by hand with the crank but did hit something that prevented full rotation and there was oil on dipstick. So I bought it thinking engine was probably shot but could be broken rockers and dropped valve and I just had to see for myself. Here is the carnage on cylinder one: https://imgur.com/iLxQMgL https://imgur.com/I43Bapu The rockers were the worst I have ever seen on this jeep all of them with two being particularly bad and it only had about 100k miles on it . Wonder what oil was used and how often changed it still had EGR in place don't know about ORM etc. |
|
| Author: | layback40 [ Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:18 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: pics another valve disaster broke piston |
How bad is the bore? Captain Dean solved the cause of rocker failure. He found the oil gallery to them blocked. That looks like it could be an easy fix. Small head repair, valves & good second hand piston & rings as well as rockers. Could you be so lucky? |
|
| Author: | TKB4 [ Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:52 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: pics another valve disaster broke piston |
bore looks ok. Not sure the head is repairable but could get used one for about $400 and I may still have one that could be useable. Either way I will likely not repair it any time real soon. I have a friend that is a trained diesel mechanic that could help me rework the lower end. For now think I will remove the engine and put it in my storage container on engine stand till I can get to it |
|
| Author: | WWDiesel [ Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:04 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: pics another valve disaster broke piston |
WOW! That's U-G-U-L-Y! Looks like an exhaust valve broke, took out the other exhaust valve and part of the cylinder liner.
|
|
| Author: | TKB4 [ Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:32 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: pics another valve disaster broke piston |
Actually it was two exhaust valves . The picture is just taken at a weird angle but you can see where the glow plug opening is in between the intake valves |
|
| Author: | WWDiesel [ Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:53 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: pics another valve disaster broke piston |
TKB4 wrote: Actually it was two exhaust valves . The picture is just taken at a weird angle but you can see where the glow plug opening is in between the intake valves Yeah my bad, looked at it too quick at 2am. But it is still UGLY!!!!!
|
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|