| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| CV replacement puzzle http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=91312 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Gypsy62 [ Fri May 08, 2020 1:48 am ] |
| Post subject: | CV replacement puzzle |
3 years ago I swapped the entire ARB'd '05 3.7 axle assemblies into my '05 CRD (mileage on donor CV's unknown). Highway-ratio benefits aside, I'm trying to determine my best CV replacement alternatives post-swap. The Right died. I wanna replace both L/R CV's while blistering the one. So: - Based on pertinent threads, the CRD requires 1/2" longer CV shafts. That suggests that the 3.7's stock geometry is longer. - I have a very fresh OME 2.5" CRD-rated lift. Does logic suggest that if I subbed the .5" longer CRD CV's in combination with the 3.7 axle assemblies that they MAY help compensate for the 2.5" lift? - I noted posts indicating that the '02-05 2.4 4cyl Liberty's and CRD's have identical CV's. - Machine Work. My excellent local machinist could enlarge/shape the scope of the axle-facing CV cups. Thoughts? Must order pronto. Thanks! |
|
| Author: | WWDiesel [ Fri May 08, 2020 3:24 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: CV replacement puzzle |
What I understand, the front differential housing sets more to the drivers side (left) on the CRD than the 3.7. That makes the left (driver side) CV axle shorter and the right CV axle (passenger side) longer on the CRD versus the 3.7 gasser vehicles. Don't believe it has impact on suspension travel as the suspension components are the same on the front end of both vehicles other than the springs are stronger(heavier duty) on the CRD due to the increased engine weight. For the CRD: Half shaft (intermediate shaft), right side - 5066057AB Axle shaft assembly right - 52111780AB (includes CV joints & boots) NAPA Axles (reman) Right - NMD958484 CV Driveshaft Compressed Length 25 1/16 in. IDParts has both sides complete CV axles with joints, boots listed for the CRD. https://www.idparts.com/axles-joints-bo ... 3_144.html |
|
| Author: | Gypsy62 [ Fri May 08, 2020 7:04 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: CV replacement puzzle |
Thanks for info & PN's, WW. I'm now remembering engaging an issue on the left side when swapping the front ends. Solution: ignore one bolt ![]() In a sea of mounting bolts, it didn't seem like a super-critical fastener. I recall a thread lamenting that any lift over 2" dramatically accelerated CV demise. My OME lift is 2.5", so I'd like to take all possible measures to enhance longevity. Another liability, the ubiquitous potholes here in Baja absolutely destroy running gear (especially night driving, which removes the ally of hole-dodging). Daily-driving the gauntlet of concrete "baches" is brutal; less dust than off-road racing, but the blunt-force impact inflicted by exiting a concrete hole is far less forgiving than dirt, mud, sand & stones. The average trip across town tests all components (& creatures). Combining lift/pothole-related concerns with your info, I'm wondering if it's advisable to replace the CV's with the longest possible for each side. In this case, installing the longer 3.7-spec LEFT CV, and the longer CRD-spec RIGHT CV. The idea of machining [reducing] the inner CV cup is more work than it's worth. Pertinent thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40739 Update- No luck sourcing lift-happy shafts from either JBA nor JE REEL; just ordered Right CRD axle @ ID. Reman@$100 vs OEM @ $375, opted reman, particularly given 1st-time R&R of 3.7 frontend in CRD = potential 'surprises' @ install. Going to attempt install of 3.7-shaft @ Left. Will report results. keys: replacing CV joint joints half-shaft lift |
|
| Author: | Gypsy62 [ Fri May 29, 2020 1:13 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: CV replacement puzzle |
[Update] One surprise: the rebuilt CRD-right shaft received from ID appeared to be identical in length to the removed 3.7-right. That was with the two shafts completely compressed laying side-by-side. Installed normally. So far, so good. Counsel: do a straight-axle swap instead of doing perpetual battle with an IFS that can't reliably host 2.5" of pride. |
|
| Author: | Mountainman [ Fri May 29, 2020 12:35 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: CV replacement puzzle |
I can't imagine those daily potholes with a SFA... How about run as low air pressure as the tires can take without accelerating wear to soften up the impact a bit? I'm soon to put on 265/75's with the added bit of needed lift, hopefully the CV's hold up. |
|
| Author: | My66dodge [ Fri May 29, 2020 10:00 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: CV replacement puzzle |
The crd and 2.4 use the same front diff mounts, the 3.7 used a different diff mount that moved it to the side people... the diffs and carriers are the same the axle lengths changed for the 3.7 since the axle housing moved over on that model Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk |
|
| Author: | Gypsy62 [ Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:16 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: CV replacement puzzle |
[UPDATE] The New Right-Front CRD-spec CV died with less than 150 miles! $100 GSP @ ID. The fun never, ever stops. I'm versed on recommendations to modify the LEFT CV's inner-cup to permit greater travel for lifted libertys. However: - This is the RIGHT CV [=US passenger]. - LEFT side, I installed the longer 3.7-spec CV [NAPA, $80]. Given 2.5 lift, it seemed like a "Why Not?" experiment. So far, okay. - The previous right CV had NOT failed: the LEFT had failed. I decided to purchase/install the Right (from ID) solely as a PREVENTATIVE r&r. So, the old Right unit was handling the 2.5 lift without failure, confirming that the lift is NOT directly responsible for the failure of the ID replacement. Yes, I have the option of re-installing the old one but would prefer to have both-new CV's for long-term reliability. - I'm left wondering if the difference in quality between the GSP (@ $100) versus the OEM (@$320!) could actually be that extreme. Could be. Given the <150-mile failure, I'm waiting to hear if/how ID is willing to work with me. To review KJ CV lengths: CRD = Shorter LEFT, Longer RIGHT 3.7. = Longer Left, Shorter Right. 2.4. = ??? Side-by-side, the Right CRD CV shaft assembly is nearly 2" longer than the 3.7 unit. [Aside: although I swapped ARB'd F/R axles off a same-year 3.7 stick, given the 2.5 OME lift the diff housing is not perilously close to the 2.8's pan.] |
|
| Author: | My66dodge [ Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:45 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: CV replacement puzzle |
Crd and 2.4 are the same Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk |
|
| Author: | Gypsy62 [ Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:00 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: CV replacement puzzle |
Update- Now I'm using 3.7 spec CV's. The combination of the swapped-in [ARBd] 3.7 front drivetrain with the OME 2.5 lift +ARB bumper +12kwinch = so far so good. Had a related problem recently. A front-right vibration was steadily worsening. Thought it was a failing intermediate shaft bearing, but the culprit was actually a missing circlip on the CV (I had a trusted shop do the CV install; rare screw-up). |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|