| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Remote webasto start idea http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=91708 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Jett [ Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:07 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Remote webasto start idea |
So I’m installing webasto, and I was thinking it would be nice to have a remote start for that on a timer so I could hit it while drinking coffee inside and then it would be ready to drive 20min later. So I was thinking I have this annoying “panic” function on my fob, and it could be used to trigger a 555 timer and that could run the webasto. Would be nice to have some sort of beep or parking lamp flash to verify the command was heard. So, has anyone thought of this idea or is there any obvious snafu here? I’d gladly give up the panic function too, but how cool it would be to repurpose the function?! |
|
| Author: | casm [ Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:37 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Remote webasto start idea |
The idea's good, but given that the panic feature is run by (probably) the ECM, I can't see a good way to externally sense that it's been activated. There's no event that's unique enough (e.g., horn) to indicate that the panic button has been pressed as opposed to, say, the lock button. What may work, though, is repurposing either an aftermarket remote start or remote locking unit. They're pretty cheap (about $15 on eBay last time I checked) and should be able to be connected with an external timer which in turn drives the Webasto. The downside is that you'd have to carry another fob with you, but that may be worth it depending on how often you need to use the Webasto. |
|
| Author: | Jett [ Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:58 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Remote webasto start idea |
That’s what I was afraid of. I wondered if maybe it was a unique relay but you’re probably right. Well, I really only need it from inside my house so a separate fob could hang by the door. |
|
| Author: | PZKW108 [ Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:43 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Remote webasto start idea |
Jett wrote: That’s what I was afraid of. I wondered if maybe it was a unique relay but you’re probably right. Well, I really only need it from inside my house so a separate fob could hang by the door. You are overthinking it !!! Go to any remote start shop and they will rig it to any button want on your fob. I got mine on the rear window....... If I was to redo it I will get it rig to the engine start. first because you don't really need it with the Webasto. Second, it doesn't work good with a in tank lift pump as it will need a bit of key on time before ignition. ( I see it is in your future mods...........Also one of the best one IMO.) |
|
| Author: | casm [ Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:47 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Remote webasto start idea |
Jett wrote: That’s what I was afraid of. I wondered if maybe it was a unique relay but you’re probably right. Well, I really only need it from inside my house so a separate fob could hang by the door. Just out of curiosity: is there a reason why you're going with the Webasto instead of just using the block heater? If you're only going to use it at home, this is something that an extension cord and garden timer can take care of. Then again, I don't know what your Winter weather is like. The block heater (which I will thoroughly admit is barely-adequate, but does work) handles our temperatures just fine, but we never go below 0°F. If you're getting extended periods of mega-cold temperatures, the Webasto would certainly make sense. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|