It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Need automatic transmission help!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2026 12:53 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:22 pm
Posts: 24
I was merging onto a express way gently accelerating then I could feel the accelerating stop, I coasted to the side of the road, tried all the gear selections and nothing. I tried four wheel drive hi and low range and nothing, had to get towed home $300. Jeep has been running 100% no issues, If I had to guess I would say the transmission pump just quit? looking for suggestions or a place to start


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need automatic transmission help!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2026 1:12 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 7455
Location: Central GA
Try putting it in 4 wheel LOW range and see if it goes. If it goes in 4X4 low range, something in the transfer case internals have failed.
If it does not motivate in 4X4 low range or any other gear selection, there may be several different possibilities of transmission parts that have failed.
Front pump, flex plate, main shaft, torque converter, etc...to name a few.

Image

_________________
Supporting Vendor and Moderator of LOST
05 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Ironman Springs/Bilstein/Shocks
Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need automatic transmission help!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2026 7:30 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:22 pm
Posts: 24
I just tried 4x4 low range and still nothing, I think the next thing I'll try is to remove a transmission cooling line and see if there is oil flowing, that will tell me if the pump is working


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need automatic transmission help!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2026 10:25 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 7455
Location: Central GA
Yes, if the front pump has failed, it will not any have any locomotion. But it could be one of several other things also causing the problem.
Does it have plenty of ATF+4 in it, preferable a little over the full mark.
There has also been a few reports of the screw-on filter inside the pan falling off. It is a plastic bushing that the filter screws onto and the plastic breaks off.
Some have replaced the plastic bushing for the screw-on filter with a metal one. See picture

Image

Image

_________________
Supporting Vendor and Moderator of LOST
05 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Ironman Springs/Bilstein/Shocks
Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need automatic transmission help!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2026 12:03 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:22 pm
Posts: 24
OK I dropped the transmission pan hoping to find the spin on filter had fallen off but no everything looked fine fluid was red and not burnt. I put that back together, then took the cooling line off, started the jeep and watched a good flow of transmission fluid poor from the disconnected line.
So now I weigh the option of swapping my parts TDI liberty transmission into my rusted New York Liberty, my greatest incentive is I have plenty of red heating oil that I bought for $2.82/gal vs selling both jeeps as parts vehicles and drive one of my Subaru's. PS I'm very thankful of the tips from this forum


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need automatic transmission help!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2026 3:40 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:38 pm
Posts: 481
Location: The Dalles, OR.
farmnfly wrote:
OK I dropped the transmission pan hoping to find the spin on filter had fallen off but no everything looked fine fluid was red and not burnt. I put that back together, then took the cooling line off, started the jeep and watched a good flow of transmission fluid poor from the disconnected line.
So now I weigh the option of swapping my parts TDI liberty transmission into my rusted New York Liberty, my greatest incentive is I have plenty of red heating oil that I bought for $2.82/gal vs selling both jeeps as parts vehicles and drive one of my Subaru's. PS I'm very thankful of the tips from this forum


Take it to someone (Like an actual transmission shop) who can check codes. flow doesn't mean flow at necessary pressure. The bands need two things to engage. The shift solenoid to open the valve and adequate pressure to create clamping force. Also the flat filter can also split and cause it to suck air. I'd have replaced the filters while I was in there to eliminate them as a possibility.

_________________
GDE FT Ecotune, EHM, Weeks kit stage 1 & 2, Carter 4600 lift pump, Upgraded tranny, Fishing boat hauler!
New at 164K: head gasket, rockers, exhaust valves, ARP head studs, Injectors, 5v Bosch glow plugs, water pump, timing everything, serpentine everything,
New at 225k: new head, timing belt


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com