LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

My New Roof Rack *Finished with Pics*
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=44209
Page 1 of 2

Author:  4WheelAholic [ Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:28 pm ]
Post subject:  My New Roof Rack *Finished with Pics*

So I had to work the weekend and wanted to do something for the jeep so I built it a roof rack since I'm to cheap to buy one. It's made of 3/4" electrical conduit (non galvanized) and expanded metal. The bends didn't turn out exactly like I wanted but they still turned out good. When I have time next week I'll finish grinding my not so nice welds and spray it with bed liner.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Author:  oddball [ Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

Nice job. I especially like how you built the front frame.

Author:  XC204 [ Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:16 pm ]
Post subject: 

Great Job! looks like it belongs.nice proportions. Mig or Tig? what kind of tubing?

Author:  4WheelAholic [ Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:35 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thanks! It's 3/4" non galvanized electrical conduit and I used a Mig welder.

Author:  durangotang [ Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:20 am ]
Post subject: 

oooooooooo... we'll have to talk now... I have some welding I need to do and no welder to do it with ;)

Author:  JeepinJarhead03 [ Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:14 am ]
Post subject: 

got a pair of jumper cables tang? you got-cher-self a welder :lol:

Author:  Boiler [ Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:26 am ]
Post subject: 

Very fun to make your own stuff isn't it? I like the front of it.

The front of that looks kind of like what I was thinking for the front of my rack back when I was thinking about doing it as a bolt on basket.

Image

Have you thought closing off the front with sheet? Would be a pretty crazy shape, but with cardboard to make a template it would be pretty easy. Then just bend it around a fire estinguisher or something...

Author:  4WheelAholic [ Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

That looks real nice Boiler. What's more fun then making your own stuff is it actually turning out the way you planed it... I haven't been the greatest at fabbing stuff so it was nice that this turned out. I played with the idea of putting a front on it but the plan was to weld light tabs from the very front bar to the next one back..just haven't got that far..enough stuff broke at work that I ran out of time. I also plan on doing something for my Hi-Lift but I'm not sure if I want to fab it or buy the Loc-Rac. I'll either take it back to work for the light mounts or fab up some sort of bolt on.

Author:  TruLiberty [ Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

planning on just drilling down thru the front bar for the lights? 3/4 inch is too small for thule/yakima accessories :(

looks nice tho!

Author:  4WheelAholic [ Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

TruLiberty wrote:
planning on just drilling down thru the front bar for the lights? 3/4 inch is too small for thule/yakima accessories :(

looks nice tho!


I was planning something like this for the lights, not a perfect drawing but you get the point. I'm sure I'll end up welding the tabs on. As far as tube being to small for Yakima/Thule accessories..as we've seen on L.O.S.T where there is a will there is a way :wink:

Image

Author:  TruLiberty [ Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

good point. overall how much did this bad boy cost you?

Author:  4WheelAholic [ Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

Me....nothing, I used stuff around the plant seeing as I was on call and had to be here. I would figure the conduit is around $4 per 10 foot stick for us and I used 7.. and I'm not sure what expanded metal is going for but it's about 4' x 4'.

Author:  kskj [ Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

That is a heck of a nice rack and great price free 8)

Author:  Sport [ Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:56 am ]
Post subject: 

looks great, good work. I would just sit it on top of the rails and remove the cross bars.

Author:  4WheelAholic [ Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

I finally got it finished...here are the updated pictures :D

Image

Image

Image

Author:  durangotang [ Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

Lookin good with the lift and everything!

You're Jeep's growing up... :D

Author:  4WheelAholic [ Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

Yeah they grow up so fast......I still remember when it was little, feels like it was just yesterday

Author:  jay21 [ Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

My first thought was pretty cool, after paint and clean up WOW. Looking great, and congrats. Doing stuff yourself is the only way it is trult yours.

Author:  KJWildman [ Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

Looks great! I did the same thing and just made mine out of conduit too :D . What a pain to weld this stuff tho'
Image
Image

Author:  4WheelAholic [ Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

Yeah thanks for posting that larryewaller now mine looks like crap.......... :wink: :D JK looks awesome, I like the extension in the front for the lights...looks like you had more time then I did. OHHHHHHH yes the conduit was a real pain.....my wall thickness was a little thin and that's why the corners are flat.....but hey it works

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/