LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

2004 Sport, Need lift and tires advice
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11744
Page 1 of 3

Author:  nyrican52884 [ Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:50 pm ]
Post subject:  2004 Sport, Need lift and tires advice

I just put on my 2.5" Rusty's spacer lift. I also did a clevis lift about 1/2". I'm getting the tires next week a set of 245/75/16 Kumho Road Venture AT KL-78. I like the way it looks, but I am not sure if it looks like it leans back. What does everybody think. Should I lower the clevis a little? I'll post more picks when I get the tires on.

Image

Image

Image

Author:  mattnmette [ Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:02 am ]
Post subject: 

All I see are the little X's instead of the pics.

Author:  Neal [ Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:07 am ]
Post subject: 

to view pics just paste properties
for level, just measure from pinchweld to ground front and rear

Author:  nyrican52884 [ Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:11 am ]
Post subject: 

Quote:
All I see are the little X's instead of the pics.

I just changed it to a webpage where you can see all the pics.
Quote:
for level, just measure from pinchweld to ground front and rear

pinchweld?? I measured from the bottom of the fender flares to the ground and the front was about 1.5" taller than the front but it looks like that is the way that the fenders are shaped.

Author:  Neal [ Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:15 am ]
Post subject: 

thats about right from where you measured cause of the fender shape, but if you measure from ground to the pinchweld(thats underneathand runs the entire lengh frombehind the front tire to thr rear) you can see how level it is

Author:  nyrican52884 [ Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:18 am ]
Post subject: 

Thanks Neal. I'll measure it and post back.

Author:  JsCRD KJ [ Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:59 am ]
Post subject: 

Looks nice...just need to add some tires

Author:  Video Guy [ Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:58 am ]
Post subject: 

Wow. Looks good. I'm new to lifts, so I'm not sure what a clevis is, other than something that affects front end height. Looks nice and level as is though, so I wouldn't change anything unless your unhappy with the ride quality.

I really like your top brake lamp. That's awesome. Was that custom made? More info, please.

T.J.

Author:  nyrican52884 [ Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:53 am ]
Post subject: 

So I measured underneath and found that the front is about 1/2" different from the back, but I did find out that the passenger side is higher in the front than the driver side. This is because of the clevis. I noticed a slight difference when I did it but I didn't think much of it, and when I realized the difference today I remembered that I heard that how much you raise the clevis is actually double in height. I'm going to leave the driverside the way it is and try to match the passenger side to that.

Quote:
Wow. Looks good. I'm new to lifts, so I'm not sure what a clevis is, other than something that affects front end height. Looks nice and level as is though, so I wouldn't change anything unless your unhappy with the ride quality.

I really like your top brake lamp. That's awesome. Was that custom made? More info, please.


I have pics of the clevis on the link. The clevis is what holds the bottom of the strut(some people call it the strut fork). There is a post on how to do your clevis lift. Basically there is a bolt that tightens the sleeve that holds the bottom of the strut and you just raise the strut inside the sleeve. There is one pic that you can see the clevis lift and the CV angle in the background.


Thanks for the feedback everybody. I'll post pics of the tires when I get them.

Author:  nyrican52884 [ Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:59 am ]
Post subject: 

Here's the link to the clevis instructions. I only did the front. Didn't need to raise the rear anymore after the lift.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=168&highlight=clevis+lift

Author:  kickit_in4wheel [ Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

The fenderwells are not an accurate way to judge the height because they are different front to rear, even on an unlifted KJ. I was told the most accurate way to gauge the height it to measure the unibody "frame rails", that run the length of the vehicle just inside of the rocker panel. Get one measurement as close to the front wheel, and another as close to the rear. Make sure you are on the same piece of metal and not a pinch weld.

Author:  nyrican52884 [ Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

I finally got my cardomain page set up today. I still haven't gotten the tires because tropical storm Ernesto had other plans. Anyways I will post more pics when I get the tires on but check out my site anyways.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2224536

By the way I did lower the front clevis slightly. It still leans backward just the slightest bit, but I like the way it looks. The only problem is now my gas tank doesn't read full when I fill up, I think it has to do with the car not being level anymore. Has this happened to anybody??

Author:  Mutt [ Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

Yeah, my Liberty leaned backward after installing a Frankenlift. To level it out I added a 1/2" spacer over the rear spring, which I really don't know if it'll work for you being you have a spacer lift.

Author:  Big D [ Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

So how do you find the lift? Any problems?

Author:  Sport [ Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

nyrican52884 wrote:
I finally got my cardomain page set up today. I still haven't gotten the tires because tropical storm Ernesto had other plans. Anyways I will post more pics when I get the tires on but check out my site anyways.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2224536

By the way I did lower the front clevis slightly. It still leans backward just the slightest bit, but I like the way it looks. The only problem is now my gas tank doesn't read full when I fill up, I think it has to do with the car not being level anymore. Has this happened to anybody??



nyrican, the truck looks good after the lift. As you know I have the same spacer lift as you. Mine sits a half inch higher in the back then it does in the front. What I did to achieve this is kept the clevis at stock height and in the back I kept the original spring isolator pad and seated the rusty's spacer on top of it, then obviously the spring on top of that. Worked out great for me, I gained 2 1/2 in the front and 3 in the back and it retains the stock look.

Author:  nyrican52884 [ Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:17 am ]
Post subject: 

Ok, so it sounds like adding a spacer to the back is the common thing to do, its just that lowering the front clevis is alot easier. So did anybody find the problem with the gas gauge when their KJ wasn't level?? I also figured if I lower the front clevis it would put less stress on the CV joints and ball joints.

Quote:
So how do you find the lift? Any problems?


So far everything is good. I chose a spacer lift because I really don't do any wheeling because I live in South Florida. I though it would keep the same spring rate but I didn't realize that the new shocks in the rear would stiffen up the suspension, but I like the way it feels now. It was a little tricky to install because the directions from Rusty are very vague, but once I knew what I was doing it didn't take much time at all. If anybody needs any advice feel free to ask.

Thanks Sport for all the advice on the install. If it wasn't for you I would have paid a local shop $250 to install it.

Author:  nyrican52884 [ Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

I got my tires on today and it looks great. I also decided to bring the clevis all the way down back to stock height and it evened out the front. It doesn't look like its leaning foward either, looks balanced. Also now the gas tank reads full again, I guess it was the unbalanced weight distribution. Everything looks great and I will post pics soon(my battery in my camera is dead)

Author:  TDI4BY [ Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

On your cardomain site it says "CV Angle".... it is actually your tie rod angle, you don't have CV's.

Author:  nyrican52884 [ Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

New pics with the tires

Image

Image

Image

Author:  nyrican52884 [ Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

Quote:
On your cardomain site it says "CV Angle".... it is actually your tie rod angle, you don't have CV's.


The picture shows the CV boot which has a CV joint inside. The tie rod is at an angle from the ground but what is actually bent is the CV joint.

Image

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/