| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Hairy ride http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15785 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | snowsport [ Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:54 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Hairy ride |
I just got back from a three day road trip. I drove south about 5 hours to take a friend to see a specialist. We had to go over a mountain pass, and it was quite a ride. On the way there:
On the way back:
There were 9 vehicles in the ditch, including a 50' semi-trailer laying on its side. One guy had flipped and taken out a power pole (snapped it in half) with the roof of his van, and another had taken the ditch and for some reason caught fire. We spotted 14 moose on the side of the road, and two were casualties of vehicle collisions. The plows and sanders were on it but there was a nasty crosswind that kept slapping the cars around in big gusts. And then it started raining... |
|
| Author: | CaKJFreedom [ Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:09 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Whoa. Makes me glad there's no snow here, we freak out enough in the rain. Glad you guys made it safely. |
|
| Author: | Jeger [ Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:12 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Studded tires are absolutely awesome in the snow and ice, I bet you could use your liberty for a snow plow with the tires you have. |
|
| Author: | JJsTJ [ Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:21 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Umm...yeah...Please keep that white crap up North!! While it is beautiful to look at, I can live w/out it, Thanks! |
|
| Author: | snowsport [ Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:24 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Thanks Nanette! Believe it or not, that's the main highway between the northern interior and the area where I live. In fact, it's the only highway. It's either go over that pass, or go down and around a looooooong way through another pass, and then back up. That would turn a 5 hour drive into a roughly 14 hour drive, or more if that other pass is having rough weather. Which it usually does this time of year. JJ: I'd be happy to keep all the snow up here for ya! We're having a great year for skiing and stuff! Jeger: I'm still a bit in disbelief about how much difference there is between my old SR-As and these tires. I still find myself driving too conservatively at times...but I'm getting the hang of it quick! |
|
| Author: | Stampey [ Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:56 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
CaKJFreedom wrote: Whoa. Makes me glad there's no snow here, we freak out enough in the rain. Glad you guys made it safely.
Haha so true! |
|
| Author: | 06altacrd [ Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:44 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Gotta love the Pine Pass. Can be a fun road to drive tho. Much snow up at Powder King yet?? Planning to be heading that way between xmas and new years. |
|
| Author: | snowsport [ Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:47 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Yes, there's lots of snow up there. On their website they say they have a 228 cm base and 40 cm of fresh powder. They have an annual average of 40' of snowfall, so you should have a great time skiing there! |
|
| Author: | spoonplugger1 [ Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:31 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Are you running the Hakkapeliittas or one of the others? Just was in an Outback and Hakks awesome tires. |
|
| Author: | snowsport [ Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:34 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
spoonplugger1 wrote: Are you running the Hakkapeliittas or one of the others? Just was in an Outback and Hakks awesome tires.
Yep, I have the Hakkapeliittas on now. Darn good snow tire. |
|
| Author: | Donkeykong [ Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:53 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
My uncle lives in victoria.... the worst thing I ever did was visit BC. Now I can't get it out of my head...
-Mark |
|
| Author: | mikekj_cda [ Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:51 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I love the mountains and snow but I hate driving through them if I don't have to. Glad to hear you made it through safe. Hwy 97 can suck this time of year I also take 16 sometimes and have wished I had studs on. But some of these mountain passes can get the white stuff in August. Like to thank you for making me miss B.C. some more |
|
| Author: | zeero [ Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:50 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Love the vast west....I'm hoping to get out there again soon.....maybe even live there one day....just love it....all you Alberta and BCers have a great thing oging out there.....Ontario? Ugh.... |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|