| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| The Ice Storm http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27405 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | KJKev [ Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:39 pm ] |
| Post subject: | The Ice Storm |
It seems that riptricket's Oklahoma ice storm made it's way to the midwest. After a 1 inch snowfall, the rain came. As temps got lower, that rain turned into ice. Here are a few pix that don't even come close to describing what it looks like here in Jacksonville. Half the town of 20k is still without power over 24 hours later. Luckily I only lost cable access for about 12 hours. But I took the Liberty anywhere and everywhere. Volunteering to help those who couldn't get out. The pix really don't show how bad it really was here. Pay no attention to the date. My camera goes crazy sometimes. KJKev
|
|
| Author: | ryno [ Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:07 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I know how crazy midwest ice storms can be. I'm from Kansas City and we had the worst ice storm back in January 2002. I think Oklahoma got hit pretty hard by that storm too. The roads were covered in about 2 inches of ice, and no one dared drive anywhere for three days. The Kansas City metro lost around one million trees because of that storm. I've got some unbelievable pictures on my computer back home. |
|
| Author: | riptricket [ Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:13 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
ya.. 1/3 of my state.. Oklahoma... has no power! |
|
| Author: | RAYMAN975 [ Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:25 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
oh my gosh that pine tree is crazy in the last picture!!! |
|
| Author: | CD [ Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:26 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
How does your engine go when starting after such a temp drop? |
|
| Author: | toy4everyseason [ Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:29 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
thats whats comming my way in a few hours.... I hope it will hold off untill I get home. |
|
| Author: | KJKev [ Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:12 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
CDKJ wrote: How does your engine go when starting after such a temp drop?
The Liberty started up just fine. I let it run for almost an hour just to get it warm enuf so that I could chip some of the ice off. The ice was an inch thick in some places on the Lib. The storm came out of the north and I had the Lib pointed south towards my garage. That way I could put the battery charger on it if needed. Also a hand held torch comes in pretty handy on days like that...lol. KJ |
|
| Author: | 501 [ Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:29 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
We were supose to get hit by that storm last night but woke up to nothing. Sometimes Lake Michigan kicks our butts and other times it saves us. This time we were spared. |
|
| Author: | itsajeepthing [ Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:44 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Wow crazy pics. Apparently this storm is coming our way in Ontario. The forecasters are saying it'll be here by late morning. The city of Toronto just grinds to a halt when this kind if weather hits, so it should be interesting! (ahhhh we will probably just get rain) |
|
| Author: | the wife's [ Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:32 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
We missed the brunt of the storm here last night in the Kansas City area, some power outages here-n-there. Lived here all my life and the storm in 2002 that ryno was referring to was beyond description. It was incredible. Anyway, I OME'd the wife's Jeep this past weekend... She's out in that mess today along with new tires. Yeah! I'll post pics and thoughts in another thread/topic here shortly. ryno, why are you no longer in the KC area? Job? Woman? Change of pace? |
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:31 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Guess I need to move north! |
|
| Author: | Jeepman56 [ Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:39 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
We got hit with the 2002 ice storms as well. I had my Cavalier then an it was pretty much useless. I had to chip the ice off the door locks to be able to get in and try to start it, which it didn't. Wish I had the KJ then, glad to hear you were out helping others who were stranded. |
|
| Author: | KJKev [ Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:17 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Ice storm update. |
Less than a week after all that ice, we now have 4 inches of snow on the ground. Not as much as our friends up in the northeast, but alot for us here in the midwest...well, alot for those who don't have a JEEP. KJ |
|
| Author: | scotrn [ Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:47 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Michigan got hit with between 8-12 inches of snow. Luckily no freezing rain/ice for us, still pretty slippery around here, though. |
|
| Author: | ryno [ Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:44 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
the wife's wrote: We missed the brunt of the storm here last night in the Kansas City area, some power outages here-n-there. Lived here all my life and the storm in 2002 that ryno was referring to was beyond description. It was incredible. Anyway, I OME'd the wife's Jeep this past weekend... She's out in that mess today along with new tires. Yeah! I'll post pics and thoughts in another thread/topic here shortly.
ryno, why are you no longer in the KC area? Job? Woman? Change of pace? I'm currently attending Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. I'm going back to Overland Park on Thursday for two and a half weeks though! |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|