| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| SURCO http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50401 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | riptricket [ Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:23 pm ] |
| Post subject: | SURCO |
I finally got the roof rack that I wanted from the beginning... Just to let you newbie out there know... just wait to get the product you want and it will come... hopefully via the FS section of the forum, that way you can support fellow Jeepers! ![]() ![]() ![]() I still need to sand and paint some of it, or maybe line-x if it's not too much, BUT it is made of aluminum, so it will never rust!!! And neither will the galvanized hardware that I used. Attachment consisted of drilling 4 holes in the sturdy sport roof rails that I also got from a member on here. Then it was just finding the right combination in order to cinch her down. |
|
| Author: | 2006 KJ [ Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:17 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SURCO |
why did you used the cross bars? why not just bolt the rack straight to the roof rails.. it would keep it lower. |
|
| Author: | riptricket [ Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:30 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SURCO |
b/c i did not want to use the U-bolt setup... I like mine! |
|
| Author: | 2006 KJ [ Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:46 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SURCO |
i was talking about the way you have it.. just without the bar across.... i now come to realize that you probably did that because the rack wasnt wide enough to just put a bolt down though the rack its self and to the roof bars. |
|
| Author: | riptricket [ Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:23 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SURCO |
and the support bar is integral to the sturdiness of the rack. GOTTA QUESTION FOR YALL What would be the best way about painting the rack back to its original black? I have thought of line-x, but i think that is overkill. If I have it sandblaster, can I just rattle can it when I get it back, or do I have to clean it and stuff. It is aluminum remember. thanks! also, was searching their site and found this... ![]() Kinda expensive from amazon.com... 100 plus 30 shipping... maybe I can make one from Lowe's materials... |
|
| Author: | riptricket [ Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:10 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SURCO |
first coat of black rustoleum hammered is on. |
|
| Author: | JeepinJarhead03 [ Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:52 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SURCO |
sounds like you figured out that question lol sometimes sandblasters will pit/etch aluminum and it won't always come out smooth with paint, naturally all depends on the type of aluminum it is, i ran into that a few times but was probably just me falling asleep while blasting if it had been me, i probably would have shot it down with a can of aircraft paint remover from the parts store, roughed it over with some fine grit sand paper then rattled it with rustoleum rust whatever black primer that i have like 5 cans of, use that stuff for everything, fix scratches on my rear bumper, skids, and i painted much of the underbody with it, except around the exhaust i used stove pipe paint on that area my feeling on it, if ya tend to rescratch it over the course of a year, the 30 mins it takes to remove it, strip it let it dry and repaint it for 5 dollars or so.. isn't such a big deal |
|
| Author: | riptricket [ Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:13 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SURCO |
yeah and last night at 2 am i put the second coat on. I think that will suffice. i thought if i scratch it, no big deal just repaint that spot! |
|
| Author: | BVCRD [ Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:35 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SURCO |
2006 KJ wrote: why did you used the cross bars? why not just bolt the rack straight to the roof rails.. it would keep it lower. The roof rails aren't perfectly straight. Gotta slight arch to them. |
|
| Author: | riptricket [ Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:26 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SURCO |
got it painted... 2 coats of rustoleum hammered black. I figured that the money I saved not having it blasted or line-x-ed will make it to where I can scratch the .... out of it and just spray what I mess up. ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() And yes, it's not on there straight, I did it in a hurry and need some help measuring it. But I love the way it turned out. |
|
| Author: | JeepinJarhead03 [ Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:36 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SURCO |
looks good dude but you need to give that SR-A to a shop that sells used tires in return for a free mount and balance on a decent spare hehe |
|
| Author: | riptricket [ Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:39 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SURCO |
well, when I get my lift, when i sell some houses that is, I will be getting 5 new tires, so i thought why waste the money on a 235 and get a 245 with it... |
|
| Author: | JeepinJarhead03 [ Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:43 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SURCO |
totally understandable sr-a hasn't been that long off my rear gate either, traded it in exactly how i suggested to you, got 45 dollars off my mount and balances by giving it to them |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|