| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Sometimes the winch comes in handy http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61681 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | dieselenthusiast [ Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:50 am ] |
| Post subject: | Sometimes the winch comes in handy |
When clearing select trees on the property I noticed that I had a tree that was a little too close to the power line. It wasn’t in the power line but it had limbs growing close to it. I’d rather cut a tree then be responsible for a future power outage, so I got out the chainsaw and assessed the tree to be sure it would fall away from the power line. Most ponderosa pines grow straight up, but this pine was leaning towards the power line. I’m no lumberjack, but I’ve had a chainsaw in my hand ever since I was 12 years old. I wasn’t sure if I could notch the tree enough to compensate for the lean, so I got out two logging chains and tied the chain to a nearby pine that you see in the photo. Sure enough, as soon as I cut the notch, the tree started leaning more towards the powerline until the chain went tight. At this point I knew that I was potentially screwed if I didn’t do something pretty quick. Keep in mind, my wife is standing there giving me the evil eye. I knew the logging chains could hold the weight, and I was fairly confident that my rigging job would hold together; although, I always plan for the worse case scenario. Anyway, I immediately thought about the winch. I got the Jeep and drove where I thought I’d be free from the tree fall. I had a tree saver strap in my off-road gear bag. I placed the strap as high on the tree as possible, spooled out the line, and latched the hook. We put the Jeep in neutral, applied the brakes, and let the Warn M8000 do the work. The M8000 spools fairly quick for this application, so I tapped the button on the remote and slowly leaned the tree back the other way until it gracefully came tumbling down. I looked up to make sure the wife was smiling, then I knew I was in the good. ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
|
| Author: | Fulltimer [ Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:12 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Sometimes the winch comes in handy |
That turned out to be a pretty good idea! I used my winch one day to remove a downed tree that was completely blocking the highway. A storm blew it down and traffic was backed up pretty far both ways. About an hour later the county work crew came to clear it away. But the traffic was flowing thanks to my winch. Terry |
|
| Author: | dieselenthusiast [ Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:24 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Sometimes the winch comes in handy |
Fulltimer wrote: That turned out to be a pretty good idea! I used my winch one day to remove a downed tree that was completely blocking the highway. A storm blew it down and traffic was backed up pretty far both ways. About an hour later the county work crew came to clear it away. But the traffic was flowing thanks to my winch. Terry Yeah, I remember you posting pics of that. I thought of you when I was out there winching away, lol.
|
|
| Author: | Megalos [ Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:58 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Sometimes the winch comes in handy |
I had to do something similar in me back yard. I didn't use a winch though ... I. Just had to use my fat butt! Nice action shot of the wife. She looks like she's in a shampoo commercial! |
|
| Author: | JJsTJ [ Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:03 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Sometimes the winch comes in handy |
not quite as exciting as falling a tree but my winch got some work recently as well
|
|
| Author: | dieselenthusiast [ Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:35 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Sometimes the winch comes in handy |
JJsKJ wrote: not quite as exciting as falling a tree but my winch got some work recently as well Nice, they do come in handy from time to time, well worth the cost. |
|
| Author: | iMTB [ Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:59 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Sometimes the winch comes in handy |
Jeep looks good. I love that color. Someday I'll have an arb bumper painted to match like that. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|