LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Painting trim and modding. It's been a long time coming.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=75655
Page 1 of 2

Author:  U.S.Marine29 [ Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Painting trim and modding. It's been a long time coming.

So, I've recently become active again on the site. Officially out of the marine Corps after 7 1/2 years. Decided that since its finally nice out, I should start ripping trim off and painting. I got a couple pieces done before the weather got bad for about a week or so. I fully trimmed the bumper, which I will pull off again to paint to match the rest. Plans today is to finish all existing fender flares and the rear bumper. Picked up my plastic rivets from Napa so I'm set. Here are some before/now pics for your amusement.

These are pre painting
ImageImage
Grill is plasti dipped
Image

Gutted the front and mounted my custom fabbed front hitch for the winch
Image

Nice and shiny flare. Paint used was of course 2 coats of primer, Rust-oleum super strength gloss enamel, and 4 coats of clear. Other flare is for contrast.
ImageImage

Random pic of Khaos
Image

Front painted, back is still stock
ImageImageImageImageImage

Other notes: completely ripped out the front plastic splash guards. Stupid things. Still need to order my roof rack and need something to mount my large spare tire onto. Also, need to find a place for my hi-lift jack.

Done posting pics for now. Off the clean and rip plastic off the Jeep. I'll post more when completed for this "phase".

Author:  tommudd [ Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Painting trim and modding. It's been a long time coming.

KJs looking good but throw up some of the F150 :wink:
Had a 79 short bed that I ran 38s on back in the late 70s early 80s
all the bells and whistles you could get back then

Author:  KJ_WHEELER_2010 [ Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Painting trim and modding. It's been a long time coming.

KJ's looking good :JEEPIN: I noticed the K9. Were you an MP in the Marines? I used to be an MP when I was in the Army.

Author:  arengant [ Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Painting trim and modding. It's been a long time coming.

tommudd wrote:
KJs looking good but throw up some of the F150 :wink:
Had a 79 short bed that I ran 38s on back in the late 70s early 80s
all the bells and whistles you could get back then


What, like variable speed wipers and a/c?
LOL

Author:  tommudd [ Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Painting trim and modding. It's been a long time coming.

arengant wrote:
tommudd wrote:
KJs looking good but throw up some of the F150 :wink:
Had a 79 short bed that I ran 38s on back in the late 70s early 80s
all the bells and whistles you could get back then


What, like variable speed wipers and a/c?
LOL


had neither A/C nor variable speed wipers !
Did have front and rear lockers and lots of engine :pepper:

Author:  Bmxer524 [ Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Painting trim and modding. It's been a long time coming.

Tom beat me to asking for more pics of the Ford lol :jester:

Anyways, thank you for your service, and it looks good. Subtle, yet different. Now we need more pics of that Ford before we get more pics of the KJ :goink: :POPCORN:

Author:  Pippobug [ Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Painting trim and modding. It's been a long time coming.

Looking Good!! Like the demountable winch at the front. I have one to Warm 8000 with cradel, just wondering if you place it in the boot of the KJ and how you secure it when you don't use it.
Fil.

Author:  U.S.Marine29 [ Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Painting trim and modding. It's been a long time coming.

tommudd wrote:
KJs looking good but throw up some of the F150 :wink:
Had a 79 short bed that I ran 38s on back in the late 70s early 80s
all the bells and whistles you could get back then


Bmxer524 wrote:
Tom beat me to asking for more pics of the Ford lol :jester:

Anyways, thank you for your service, and it looks good. Subtle, yet different. Now we need more pics of that Ford before we get more pics of the KJ :goink: :POPCORN:


Ask and ye shall receive. I'll also post a quick breakdown of what I've done to her.

KJ_WHEELER_2010 wrote:
KJ's looking good :JEEPIN: I noticed the K9. Were you an MP in the Marines? I used to be an MP when I was in the Army.


I was Infantry for most of my career. They started a K-9 cross training program that I volunteered for during my second tour. Khaos has been with me for about 3 years. Now, I work for the Sheriff Department and also a K-9 handler trainer for the state. Guess they couldn't pass up a free dog lol. He's trained mostly as a bite/bomb dog but I've got him training on drug recognition now.

Pippobug wrote:
Looking Good!! Like the demountable winch at the front. I have one to Warm 8000 with cradel, just wondering if you place it in the boot of the KJ and how you secure it when you don't use it.
Fil.


The winch is a waterproof Recon so I very rarely take it off. When I do, it sits briefly in the back somewhere rolling around lol.

Anyways, to the truck pics!

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Most of those were from the day I got it built.

Image
custom tube bumper that I made and apparently, desperately needs refinished.

Image
Rhinolined the entire inside.

Image
So you can see all the frills that came with the /70's :D

Image
Fully loaded. AC and intermittent wipers lol (I took the AC out)

Truck has a brand new Crate 460, Detroit Lockers front and rear, Dana 60 up front, stock 9 inch in the rear, custom drive shaft, Yukon Chromoly axles all the way around, 4.88 gears, 6 inch Skyjacker lift with a 3 inch body lift, another custom front hitch( done by yours truly), I have a rear disk conversion kit sitting in my shed that needs to still go on it. I completely redid the brake system. Ford F350 tandem booster, F350 master cylinder, Thunderbird brake calipers, crossdrilled rotors. It will lock those 38's up with ease. The truck will do about anything but pass up a gas station. Let me know if you want to see anything else

Author:  tommudd [ Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Painting trim and modding. It's been a long time coming.

Thanks for the Ford pics
about the way mine was set up
Local Ford dealership where I used to work had this one and couldn't sell it so I bought it and ran it for a few years. 79 model, the 351 M was gone through with 22 miles on the odo, lift/ gears when it had 110 miles , sold it in 1981 , still wish I had it :cry:
Image

Author:  arengant [ Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Painting trim and modding. It's been a long time coming.

U.S.Marine29 wrote:
The truck will do about anything but pass up a gas station. Let me know if you want to see anything else

:-)r
I had a '76 f150 with a 460 swapped in... I think it got 4-6 mph!

Looks good

Author:  U.S.Marine29 [ Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:11 am ]
Post subject:  Painting trim and modding. It's been a long time coming.

tommudd wrote:
Thanks for the Ford pics
about the way mine was set up
Local Ford dealership where I used to work had this one and couldn't sell it so I bought it and ran it for a few years. 79 model, the 351 M was gone through with 22 miles on the odo, lift/ gears when it had 110 miles , sold it in 1981 , still wish I had it :cry:
Image


Man, I wouldn't have ever given that truck up. It looks beautiful. Probably because it was only a few years old ;) lol

Author:  tommudd [ Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Painting trim and modding. It's been a long time coming.

It had over 90,000 when I sold it, had 7 people on a list wanting it. Guy that bought it was at a Mall 2 weeks later and it was stolen. They found the frame 8 years later still had my name welded on it ! Had a 68 and a 70 Bronco at the same time so while it was hard to get rid of the F-150 I had other toys :wink:

Author:  U.S.Marine29 [ Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Painting trim and modding. It's been a long time coming.

Image
Upon removal, I discovered 5 year old mud. What a poor bumper design. Looks like a Rock Lizard is in my future.

Image
Image
Everything is finished except the bottom trim, middle door trim, and the front bumper (also a horrible design) Awaiting for this new spy ninja awesome front bumper to release. Next I'm tackling all the recalls that I've been getting notices for, as well as installing my renegade light kit. Other than that here's my pup Jinx. He actually beats Khaos up lol
Image

Author:  Leeann [ Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Painting trim and modding. It's been a long time coming.

Jinx is a cutie, but so is Khaos ;)

Nice job on the trim.

Author:  Bmxer524 [ Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Painting trim and modding. It's been a long time coming.

Man, I'm really growing up in the wrong generation. :banghead: I wish I was part of my parents age. The old muscle cars and trucks is where it's at.

Either way, great looking Ford. I like it more than the Jeep 8)

Tom's was just as nice. You've had way too many vehicles in your life bud. One of these days you need to make your own topic showcasing all of them lol

Author:  U.S.Marine29 [ Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Painting trim and modding. It's been a long time coming.

Well, today I found something that wasn't supposed to be there. Image
Today is an unhappy day. No time to fix it. 16 hour shift at work. I'll tackle it sometime soon.

Author:  At The Helm [ Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Painting trim and modding. It's been a long time coming.

Is that a rogue wood chip?

Author:  U.S.Marine29 [ Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Painting trim and modding. It's been a long time coming.

Atthehelm wrote:
Is that a rogue wood chip?


Yeah it's a rogue wood chip/spear lol. Went clean through. Apparently it was holding the liquid and pressure in. Kinda crazy. I pulled it out and everything went gushing......that's what she said.

So, now I need a new radiator. Joy.

Author:  U.S.Marine29 [ Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Painting trim and modding. It's been a long time coming.

Installed new radiator. What an absolute PITA. New fluids. Took this time to change the front and rear diff fluids. Ripped out the rear plastic splash guards and painted all the silver metal with rubber spray coating. Washed, attacked it with a clay bar, Meguiar's Ultimate Compound on the hood to take out the swirls, and the Heap has a brand new coat of Meguiars Ultimate Synthetic Paste wax. Yumm. This is what happens when i can't sleep and have to be at work at midnight tonight.

Also, rhino lined the entire floor of the F-150 so I can just hose it out :P That beast is sexah

Author:  U.S.Marine29 [ Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Painting trim and modding. It's been a long time coming.

A couple quick pics from yesterday. Rhino Lining cured perfectly.

ImageImageImage

Also, installing a couple goodies in the Jeep.
Image

Still need a good box for my sub. It's blowing apart all the pre fab boxes that I have.

Still debating on ripping out all the interior plastic and painting it.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/