It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Buying used, 08 or 09 KK?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:09 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 204
So I was originally in the market for an Xterra, but after I saw that an 08 Liberty would be in the same price range as an 05 Xterra, I figured why not get the newer vehicle/american made?

I was looking through cars.com for local Liberty's in my area and it seems like there's quite a few 08's in my price range, but there are also handful of 09's (I'm looking for under $16k price tag). I'm almost going to pull the trigger on an '08 Sport in green but after seeing that a lot of people are dissing the 08's for 09 and newer, is it worth taking a closer look to see other options?

This would be a daily driver with some (light) off-roading as well, mostly playing in the snow and occasional trailing.

edit: I should also add, the 2009's are likely rentals (one out of the four that has a carfax is), or they would have higher miles then a 2008.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying used, 08 or 09 KK?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:09 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:47 pm
Posts: 133
Location: Detroit, MI/ West Palm Beach, FL
I have a 08 Sport with about 35k on it so far. Just bought out my lease actually. I haven't had a single problem with the car since the day I drove it off the lot. It's my 3rd Liberty, I had 2 KJs before this one and its my favorite. The interior has plenty of storage space and compartments to store all of my crap, and the trunk is pretty decent too. I can't fit my skis/snowboards in the back without the seats folded down, but thats gonna be typical of anything this size. I've seen some reviews that complain the ride is a bit more "truck like" than people would want, but what do you expect? Its a Jeep. These things are the most capable off-road vehicles around, and there are plenty of people on here that will back that up. Another really great aspect of the Libby is that it can handle some pretty large/heavy trailers for an SUV of its size and power. I'm sure a few other folks will speak up, but I love my 08. Look at it this way, I had the opportunity to get rid of it last month and move into a '10 or a different vehicle, but I decided to dig in and keep it for the long haul. I'll be driving this thing well past 100,000 miles, and its always nice to share a "Jeep wave" with somebody else on the road, not to mention the great community here at LOST :JEEPIN: Go for it!

_________________
08 Black Sport
Black Cragar Soft 8s
Bridgestone A/T Dueler Revo2s 245/70/16
Blacked out headlights/turn signals and smoked tails

"I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape"- Miles Straume


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying used, 08 or 09 KK?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:22 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 204
Coming from a Tacoma I'm pretty used to driving a truck-like vehicle. I'm really excited to check the KK out tomorrow and hopefully I can get a good deal with the salesman!

_________________
2008 Liberty Sport Jeep Green Metallic | OME Lift | TreadWright Warden ATs | Black Rock Type 8 Series 997 (16x7) | Yakima roof rack | Flowmaster Super 44 OR | Firestik II 3' Antenna with door jamb mount | Cobra 75WXST Remote CB & Weather Radio | OEM Trailer hitch/wiring and front tow hooks | Philips X-treme Power headlights


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying used, 08 or 09 KK?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:07 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:52 pm
Posts: 2172
Location: NEVADA
Thats funny. I myself wanted an xterra real bad but just couldnt find one in my price range that was new enough and had lowish miles. My girlfriend found my 2010 4x4 with 1500 miles on it for an unbelievably low price. I am very happy with my choice.

_________________
2010 KK 4WD BRILLIANT BLACK
Fox/King/Bilstein ATH BUMPERS ATH RACK GY DURATRACS


ATHFAB.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying used, 08 or 09 KK?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:14 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:59 pm
Posts: 2127
Location: Navarre FL
The newer the better cause generally the quirks are taken care of but I wouldn't ever take a rental.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying used, 08 or 09 KK?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:24 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:52 pm
Posts: 2172
Location: NEVADA
Stronger steering racks are one quirk taken care of for 09+ from what i hear.

_________________
2010 KK 4WD BRILLIANT BLACK
Fox/King/Bilstein ATH BUMPERS ATH RACK GY DURATRACS


ATHFAB.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying used, 08 or 09 KK?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:11 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:52 pm
Posts: 190
Location: Quincy, MA
About 6 months ago I traded in an '08 Frontier for an '08 Liberty. Loved the Forntier (same platform as the Xterra and Pathfinder). It had LOADS of power and torque but was too expensive and awful on gas. A friend of mine has an '05 Xterra and has only had two recalls for an airbag switch and the fuel sening unit.

I usually try to stay away from first model years becaue there are always problems but I found one very near me that was the exact color combo I wanted and had all the options I wanted so I went for it. Very happy with it so far (now that I got the skyslider to shut up). Will be more happy when I get a lift and new wheels/tires.

Good Luck. 8)

As far as made in America goes...although it is a Japanese company, Frontiers/Xterras are made in Tennessee.

_________________
My Pockets Hurt

Mods:
Skyslider fix, K&N Drop in Filter, 7" Soundstream DVD/CD/MP3 Sirius radio with Navigation, Super 44 OR,
Jet Chip Stage II, Mickey Thompson Classic II's with 245/75/16 Duratracs, 3.5" RK lift, JBA A-Arms, OEM Grill Guard,
KC Daylighters, OEM Skids, Hitch, & Tow Hooks

1973 MGB


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying used, 08 or 09 KK?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:53 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:44 am
Posts: 744
Location: Lorton, VA
Personally I would go with the newest Xterra you can get your hands on. But, if you're going with a Liberty, get a 2010.

_________________
2008 Jeep Commander Overland
1999 Chevrolet Corvette

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/
http://www.jeepcommander.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying used, 08 or 09 KK?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:06 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 204
Picked it up and got to drive it home today... 52,000 miles, bargained it down to $12.9k from $15.5k. So far I couldn't be happier! Next step, Pro Comp wheels and some A/T tires.

Image

_________________
2008 Liberty Sport Jeep Green Metallic | OME Lift | TreadWright Warden ATs | Black Rock Type 8 Series 997 (16x7) | Yakima roof rack | Flowmaster Super 44 OR | Firestik II 3' Antenna with door jamb mount | Cobra 75WXST Remote CB & Weather Radio | OEM Trailer hitch/wiring and front tow hooks | Philips X-treme Power headlights


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying used, 08 or 09 KK?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:35 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:52 pm
Posts: 2172
Location: NEVADA
Congratulations! Welcome to the team.

_________________
2010 KK 4WD BRILLIANT BLACK
Fox/King/Bilstein ATH BUMPERS ATH RACK GY DURATRACS


ATHFAB.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying used, 08 or 09 KK?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:13 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 204
When driving home at night I noticed there was no light for the gear shifter? Is this normal? It's not really an issue since I could figure out what gear I was in but I figured that the P R N D would light up.

_________________
2008 Liberty Sport Jeep Green Metallic | OME Lift | TreadWright Warden ATs | Black Rock Type 8 Series 997 (16x7) | Yakima roof rack | Flowmaster Super 44 OR | Firestik II 3' Antenna with door jamb mount | Cobra 75WXST Remote CB & Weather Radio | OEM Trailer hitch/wiring and front tow hooks | Philips X-treme Power headlights


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying used, 08 or 09 KK?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:32 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:56 am
Posts: 1773
Location: Detroit or Ypsilanti, MI
Mine lights up but it should tell you what gear it's in on the instrument cluster. I'd HOPE a bulb is blown in yours is all.

Welcome. :)

_________________
Me - '17 KL Trailhawk 4x4, Rhino, P245/65R17 Destination A/Ts, Stock Skids, waiting for mods...
Sis - '18 Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4 - Black - Dents - Scratches - STOCK


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buying used, 08 or 09 KK?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:22 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 204
Ahh I wish I read your post earlier... When I brought it back to the stealership today they said that it wasn't supposed to light up and I made them double-check. Man that's going to bother me now.

Edit: After looking at it, the 2-Hi,4-Lock,4-Low switch lit up, but the gear shifter didn't. I popped off the panel covering these and the 4wd switch had a separate electronic hooking up to it, and it could pop off completely. The problem is I can't figure out how to get under the gear shifter itself, there's a bunch of tabs that look like it would just easily pop off but I was killing my fingers trying to dig it off, any help?

Edit 2: Pictures added (and after taking them the 4WD switch no longer lights up on the shifter, but still goes on dash when turned to 4-lock).

Image

You can see the female/male wiring harness of the 4wd switch

Image

These tabs don't pull off too easy, and I dont really want to snap the plastic off if I try using pliers or something.

_________________
2008 Liberty Sport Jeep Green Metallic | OME Lift | TreadWright Warden ATs | Black Rock Type 8 Series 997 (16x7) | Yakima roof rack | Flowmaster Super 44 OR | Firestik II 3' Antenna with door jamb mount | Cobra 75WXST Remote CB & Weather Radio | OEM Trailer hitch/wiring and front tow hooks | Philips X-treme Power headlights


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com