| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Ugly Antenna Removal? http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=56969 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | remdawg [ Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:42 am ] |
| Post subject: | Ugly Antenna Removal? |
I love the look of the Liberty but the one thing that throws me about it is the antenna sticking out of the back of the roof. It makes it look like all of the crossover/soccer mom SUV's. I have an XM-ready radio and I am thinking about asking for a subscription for Christmas. Does the antenna on the roof have a part in the satellite reception? I have some ideas I'm trying to run with including mounting a CB antenna on the tail light and using a AM/FM/CB splitter to use it as my radio as well, but I don't want to remove it and find out that I can't get reception to satellite anymore. Has anyone removed this or modified it in some way? |
|
| Author: | SD-KJ [ Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:09 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Ugly Antenna Removal? |
The antenna on the KK can literally screw off, if you have SAT already you can see if it cuts out. I would guess with 99% certainty that it will. I dont see any other way they would make it work... I can test this for you when i get some time... i have sirius sat in mine... If this is the case your going to have to dig around and find the lines for the radio and re-route them and figure out a way to attach a 3rd party antenna. Is it worth it?! Not to me, i think the antenna looks fine but i understand this is a personal preference... Good luck! |
|
| Author: | remdawg [ Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:59 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Ugly Antenna Removal? |
SD-KJ wrote: The antenna on the KK can literally screw off, if you have SAT already you can see if it cuts out. I would guess with 99% certainty that it will. I dont see any other way they would make it work... I can test this for you when i get some time... i have sirius sat in mine... If this is the case your going to have to dig around and find the lines for the radio and re-route them and figure out a way to attach a 3rd party antenna. Is it worth it?! Not to me, i think the antenna looks fine but i understand this is a personal preference... Good luck! That would definitely help me out if you could find out about the satellite signal when the antenna is off... I was actually at Home Depot yesterday looking for something to plug the hole with but all I found were grommets with holes in the center. |
|
| Author: | nightdrv [ Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:47 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Ugly Antenna Removal? |
That antenna should be an AM/FM only antenna. SAT antennae are usually separate. I removed mine because the light bar I have back there sits right on top of it. And yea, it was ugly. I plan to reinstall a new am/fm antenna somewhere else later. |
|
| Author: | JojosJeep [ Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:41 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Ugly Antenna Removal? |
Nope the antenna is also for the satellite. I had XM too so once my free year of Sirius was up I put my XM head unit in and was able to use the same antenna. We have XM in our Ram too so I tried to add the Sirus in the Jeep to that account but they want to charge them separate. And I have a 4' magnetic antenna on the roof on the rear drivers side behind my skyslider for my cb. Not many people really notice it, but I would love to have something built in and more powerful for my cb. |
|
| Author: | JojosJeep [ Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:43 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Ugly Antenna Removal? |
Oh, but look what I just found..... All models feature a roof-mounted active mast antenna. This is a combination antenna that receives both AM/FM and satellite digital audio. The antenna cables are routed along the left side of the under the headliner, down the A-pillar to the instrument panel. For antenna removal (Refer to 08 - Electrical/Audio and Video/ANTENNA, Satellite - Removal) . For antenna installation (Refer to 08 - Electrical/Audio and Video/ANTENNA, Satellite - Installation) . According to Chrysler all KK's have SAT antenna installed from factory. The part on the rear of the roof that the AM/FM spiral antenna screws into is the SAT antenna. So the part that sticks up is the AM/FM, the base is for the SAT. |
|
| Author: | remdawg [ Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:08 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Ugly Antenna Removal? |
JojosJeep wrote: Oh, but look what I just found..... All models feature a roof-mounted active mast antenna. This is a combination antenna that receives both AM/FM and satellite digital audio. The antenna cables are routed along the left side of the under the headliner, down the A-pillar to the instrument panel. For antenna removal (Refer to 08 - Electrical/Audio and Video/ANTENNA, Satellite - Removal) . For antenna installation (Refer to 08 - Electrical/Audio and Video/ANTENNA, Satellite - Installation) . According to Chrysler all KK's have SAT antenna installed from factory. The part on the rear of the roof that the AM/FM spiral antenna screws into is the SAT antenna. So the part that sticks up is the AM/FM, the base is for the SAT. Great find! I was actually searching through past posts with CB's and it looks like Wolverine had mounted it with in his rear tail light. viewtopic.php?f=88&t=47265&hilit=antenna I'd probably be looking at getting a Firestik Firefly, so I'm wondering if the mount he used would hold up over time, or if it would start to bend out from wind resistance/stuff hitting the antenna. |
|
| Author: | nightdrv [ Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:09 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Ugly Antenna Removal? |
JojosJeep wrote: . The part on the rear of the roof that the AM/FM spiral antenna screws into is the SAT antenna. I feel an ahhh-so moment coming on I too will be doing a taillight mounted antenna, just not sure when. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|