LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Key fob fritzing out
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=86707
Page 1 of 1

Author:  lfhoward [ Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Key fob fritzing out

Today my Jeep started locking itself randomly, over and over, which set off my remote starter which responds to 3 lock signals in a row. So the parking lights were flashing, the locks were going, and the Jeep was starting itself and shutting itself off. I almost couldn't get in, because I couldn't unlock it fast enough to get the door open. :banghead: Oh CRAP! This can't be the TIPM failing, could it!?! That's what I thought at first. At least my windshield wipers and washer motor hadn't started going on their own. But when I took my key out of my pocket I realized the locking responded to the angle I held the fob. Tilt it just so and *lock* *lock* *lock*. So I popped the fob apart and removed the battery and no more issues. :roll:

I realize this whole episode can't be good for the TIPM. The integrated locking relay is just barely rated high enough to handle the current for the door locks, so many people have had locking issues when their TIPM starts to fail. Here is a thread relating to that issue, which I am hoping I don't have. I'll keep the forum in the loop if anything like that happens.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=84414

So now it looks like I need a new key. The key still starts the Jeep so the security chip must work without needing the battery. But no more remote locks or remote start until I can troubleshoot this. It's back to the 1990's for manual locks, since the Jeep only came with one key! :ALONE:

Author:  WolverineFW [ Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Key fob fritzing out

Check your battery first. Low voltage can cause strange issues.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Author:  lfhoward [ Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Key fob fritzing out

WolverineFW wrote:
Check your battery first. Low voltage can cause strange issues.

The remote's battery or the Jeep's? I will check it out tomorrow.

Author:  lfhoward [ Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Key fob fritzing out

Has anyone tried keys from eBay sellers? They cost about 10% of what Mopar costs. I know there are some things you want to go OEM on, and other things it doesn't matter much. How about it for the keys? Is this a part where you get what you pay for?

Mopar new $120-ish
Mopar refurbished $50-ish
eBay special $20-ish for 2 keys!

(I know I'd need to visit a dealer or a locksmith so there would be additional cost for cutting and programming.)

Author:  GordnadoCRD [ Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Key fob fritzing out

check the jeep's battery
Low/no voltage in the fob simply results in reduced range, to the point it doesn't work at all.
Low voltage in the vehicle can cause a number of things, including some which are related to the fob.

Author:  Scar0 [ Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Key fob fritzing out

I bought 3 E-bay keys at about 10 each with free shipping from China.
1 for my rig, that I was able to self program (I have 2 original keys) and 2 for my father-in-law's 07 RAM. He only had one key.
I had my key cut at a locksmith for $5. For his 2 keys we went to a different locksmith closer to him. It cost $5 each to cut his keys. Then the locksmith grabbed his scan tool and programmed both into the system. Out the door in 20 minutes and for only $65.
Total cost for my father-in-law's 2 new keys, was only $89! Now he has 3 working keys.
All the keys I purchased were listed for a 06-08 RAM PU 1500 2500 3500. But it worked for my 07 KA.

We have not had any issues with any of the keys.
The buttons function as they should and the range is the same as my OEM keys.
I purchased them from seller "camprofessor". Took about 11 days to get here.
EDIT: Make sure the ones you get have the inside electronics included... Mine did.

Author:  lfhoward [ Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Key fob fritzing out

For completeness I thought I would wrap up this thread.

I got two blank keys for $15 from eBay, and took them to the local Jeep dealer. $60 later, I had them cut and programmed. They work perfectly well.

Hope this helps someone!

Author:  Tman's KK [ Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Key fob fritzing out

Did the new keys fix you locking and unlocking problem?

Author:  lfhoward [ Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Key fob fritzing out

Tman's KK wrote:
Did the new keys fix you locking and unlocking problem?

Yes, the locking issue is completely fixed. It was the old key fob malfunctioning, not the Jeep itself.

Author:  Scar0 [ Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Key fob fritzing out

Good news. Glad things are working as they should again.

Author:  lfhoward [ Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Key fob fritzing out

Scar0 wrote:
Good news. Glad things are working as they should again.

Thanks for the advice earlier about eBay keys. That worked out well.

Author:  Scar0 [ Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Key fob fritzing out

Glad to help out.
I see P-bucket is also holding your Pics for 399.00 a year ransom. To bad really... They were a great place to put and share Pics, but then they got greedy. I guess the 5 Mill they make from ads wasn't enough. TinyPics is next. They are also owned by P-bucket. :juggle:

Author:  lfhoward [ Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Key fob fritzing out

Yeah, unfortunate. On WWDiesel's advice, I've opened a Postimages.org account and started moving my photos and updating my posts. It seems to be simple, stable, and easy to use.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/