LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Removed my trail pinstriping
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=34233
Page 1 of 1

Author:  bugnout [ Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Removed my trail pinstriping

I got some new deluxe pin stripping at Badlands last month to add to my collection, and decided it was time to remove it. Did a little research, found an article at Popular Mechanics website and tried it out. Worked well to get rid of the deepest of scratches in the clearcoat.

It was a bit daunting to wet sand the scratches out, but the scratches from sanding come out with using the rubbing compound and the polish. This did work and the results were very good. The only downside to this process is that your removing a portion of the factory clear coat and you can only do that so many times before you wear it down to the paint. Then its time for a new paint job.

Please don't blame me if you try this out and ruin your paint job. I did it and it turned out well for me. I did the work one panel at a time and worked around the Jeep. I still have two panels left to do then I'll buff and polish the whole thing one more time.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4216365.html

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

What kind of rubbing compound did you use bugnout? Did you do it all by hand?

Author:  bugnout [ Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

Jeepjeepster wrote:
What kind of rubbing compound did you use bugnout? Did you do it all by hand?


3M rubbing compound and 3M polishing compound, Nothing fancy $2-$3 bucks at Wally world.

I did most of it by hand, but did use a buffer when polishing out the big panels. Builds those ninja skills, wax-on, wax-off :D :D

Author:  CrossBones [ Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

My experience removing scratches & blemishes with rubbing compound has been on motorcycle tanks, fenders and even a few sidecars. I use 3M Perfect-It ll Rubbing Compound (Fine Cut) - Followed by 3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover. You will need to use both for best results. I suggest a novice do this by hand, and not use a buffer, especially on peak body lines, curves, et cetera.

I too need to do this to my KJ. Of course I am still asking myself, what kind of an idiot buys a black Jeep? :lol:

Author:  tan's2002kjlimited [ Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:14 am ]
Post subject: 

CrossBones wrote:
Of course I am still asking myself, what kind of an idiot buys a black Jeep? :lol:


Not just an "idiot", an "Idiot Savant"! Myself, included.

Author:  CrossBones [ Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

tan's2002kjlimited wrote:
CrossBones wrote:
Of course I am still asking myself, what kind of an idiot buys a black Jeep? :lol:


Not just an "idiot", an "Idiot Savant"! Myself, included.

Exactly.

Author:  2006 KJ [ Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

if you can feel the scratch with your finger nail it's too deep.. dont try to set sand it out...

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/