It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:56 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:15 am
Posts: 66
Location: Sydney, Australia
Have run STs and STTs for last 2 years have about 40K on them and not much wear, main problem was that climbing rocks has chewed off quite a few side bitters and lugs. This make the tyres really noisy on the blacktop unless they are balanced often. Bit of an embarasement when on full lock in a carpark and the stabilizer bar starts rubbing also.
I would have choosen STC if they were available for 17" rims as they are quieter and don't chip as quickly. Both tyres types should give in excess of 60,00kms and both will work well in mud and gravel. (The best feature of the Cooper tyres is the thick sidewalls..thats where most blowouts occur specially when running low tyre pressures on sharp rocks and in mud thats full of old fence posts etc)
PS I had a problem with a tyre developing cracks and Coopers replaced at no charge.

_________________
2005 Limited Patriot Blue 3 1/2" Lift, 17" Cooper STTs, ARB Bullbar, JWS Disco's now needs some rails and armour ! Hey don't forget the detroit front lockers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:28 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:03 pm
Posts: 1786
Location: Australia with the Kangaroos
Coopers make the Mickey Thompson tyres. The 245/75/16 ATZ is a 10 ply construction same as a STT in the side walls.

I reckon both the coopers are great, so is the mickey T, Horses for courses I always say..lol


As Brian said, for touring on outback roads when you are using lower tyre pressures, the side walls build up a lot of heat, and it is this friction build up that more often causes blowouts than rock penetrating the tread. So a good stong side wall is a must for touring, just as it is for offroading.


Somebody get me a beer.

_________________
SOME SAY

I'm Toight... Toight lik a Toiger.

And

When I go to the Toilet, Chuck Norris is there to tear the squares off for me.

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:00 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 6:14 am
Posts: 58
Location: Brisbane
Team J.a.G wrote:
smorison wrote:
according to the AU MT's site htey don't make a 245/75/16 anymore ... which is why i settled on the coopers...


http://www.mickeythompsontires.com.au/t ... radial.htm

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com.au/t ... _4_Rib.htm


Just spoke to Mickey Thompson outlet and yes they are most certainly available. Presently have over 250 of the 245 x 75 x 16 around there branches. Gold coast tyre shop just quoted me $268 each fitted and balanced


I just got a set of MT ATZ 245 75 R16 two weeks ago in Brisbane.... and yes they definately still make them. Got them for $255 fitted and balanced from Brisbane Mobile Tyres. They have been great so far...especially on the sand. The link on the MT website for them is:
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com.au/t ... al_atz.htm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:30 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:40 am
Posts: 79
Location: Perth, Australia
I had no rubbing at all with my cooper STT's 245/75/16 & I've wheeled on them very often, but every KJ's abit different as I've learnt. I did however notice that they wore abit quick and it started to "HUM" louder as time went on. I find the Mickey T's MTZ's very much better in that aspect personally & since I only have one set of tyres for the Jeep the MTZ's work well for me.

I did have to relocate the washer bottle futher into the ARB bar as when I changed to the King Rims with the 31/10.5/15's, and if anyone needs todo this perhaps these pics will help... as I was able to move the washer bottle almost 2" away and into the bar, so that it clears the tyres completely.

Image

Image

_________________
06' KJ Renegade 3.7Ltr Auto
OME HD Suspension
Mickey Thompson 31/10.5/15" MTZ's
4:10 Gears, DTT's
ARB Bar, IPF Lights, Rola Vortex roof basket &
Mopar Skids


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com