| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Engineering report http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=32038 |
Page 1 of 4 |
| Author: | CD [ Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:25 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Engineering report |
As I'm changing my setup I'm thinking about getting an engineering report. I'm thinking that it's money well spent and as I have no plan to rid myself of the KJ I think it's a good idea. So a called a few places today and found one bloke to be really good. $175 per hr with an estimated price of $750 to $850 all up. That included the car plate stating what's been changed and that it's OK to run it, as well as all the paper work for the RTA. Only thing I need to do is get a weight check on the KJ 1st, front axle / rear axle & both axle’s. I also have to supply all paper work on the parts in the car. Anyone else doing this or have had it done it? |
|
| Author: | cmohr [ Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:40 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
NO haven't done it, but, Yes thinking strongly about it as well. I have often wondered how others get Blue plates for mods that if you read the specs say that they are not legal, yet they get a blue plate???? Will also look into the whole thing. |
|
| Author: | ed. [ Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:45 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
cmohr wrote: NO haven't done it, but, Yes thinking strongly about it as well. I have often wondered how others get Blue plates for mods that if you read the specs say that they are not legal, yet they get a blue plate???? Will also look into the whole thing.
It's a case of who you know not what you know |
|
| Author: | G'ME MUD [ Thu May 01, 2008 7:30 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I got the blue plate done at the same time as the roadworthy on the CJ10 for having the 350 chev in it and it only cost about $250 for both, took the paper work across the road to QLD Transport and got it registered. |
|
| Author: | CD [ Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:50 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
So I had a good chat to NRMA last night after my bingle, told them that I'm thinking about getting a higher lift |
|
| Author: | mikey [ Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:06 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Geez mate, what have you got planned??? Six inch lift and SFA???? Why the hoo-haa over the blue plate, is it so you don't get hassled by da man?? M. |
|
| Author: | CD [ Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:34 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
mikey wrote: Geez mate, what have you got planned???
Six inch lift and SFA???? Why the hoo-haa over the blue plate, is it so you don't get hassled by da man?? M. I just want to be insured when driving down the road, da-man is yet to ask the question. I'm sitting at 90mm atm and don't plan to change it for some time. However the law in NSW is 50mm or less, if you go over you need an engineering report, new blue slip and re-registered. If it was just me then that would probably be OK, having the kids and Karen in the KJ is way too important so I'm not prepared for any insurance company to say no to a claim (if it ever came to that). I’m booked in for this Friday at $174 p/h |
|
| Author: | mikey [ Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:42 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Righto, that makes sense, I keep forgetting about all those pesky "laws".... M. |
|
| Author: | CD [ Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:14 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I took JZ to North Shore Metal Recyclers on the way to work this morning, part of getting the engineering report is to supply the engineer a weight. Front: 1030kg Rear: 1000kg Total: 2030kg $25, for that and about 10min of my time so all up $450 LOL I now need to find my papers form Jeep stating the speedo recalibration. |
|
| Author: | Fouros [ Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:28 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
whats a standard KJ weigh???? |
|
| Author: | CD [ Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:04 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Fouros wrote: whats a standard KJ weigh????
Standard.... not sure mate. I have the brochure from when I got it & I think it has the weight in it for a 3.7L petrol (I will check tonight). |
|
| Author: | pipeliner [ Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:52 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I think the kerb weight is around 1750kg - but I have been known to be wrong! |
|
| Author: | CD [ Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:08 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
pipeliner wrote: I think the kerb weight is around 1750kg - but I have been known to be wrong!
I wonder if there is about 280kg's in my steel rims, muddies, nudge bar, skids, draws & recovery gear. When I look at it like that there probably is. |
|
| Author: | CD [ Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:26 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I received my quote from TCIS, very happy and cheaper than NRMA. So in your face NRMA Quote: This motor quote provides cover for off road 4WD activities including beach driving and water crossings. The cover is Australia wide with no geographic restrictions.
So that's sorted & I will take it up next week. I will also post up over the weekend what happens at the engineers, should be interesting. |
|
| Author: | CD [ Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:08 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
FAILED So I had the inspection today, top bloke (Terry - engineer). He took me on a wild ride in the KJ, I've never been so fast around corners, I even told him to slow down. Probably not as fast as you would go in a car but man I've never driven the KJ that fast around corners. Anyway we got half way through it and I got the "It's not going to happen Chris, not today mate". Well you could say I was a little dissapointed. He measured the rubber to the edge of the flare, front was flush with the flare. The rear was 10mm outside of the flare, he was cool with that and told me to get some plastic and make a 10mm lip on the flare to cover it. Then he started to measure the wheel track, front was OK and was within the allowed 25mm extra wheel track. The rear is 58mm wider than stock and 38mm wider than your allowed by law in NSW. That's where the brakes came on, we checked everything else and found that my CRDSTU combo lift is giving me a 4" lift from stock height So my problem is I now need to reduce my rear wheel track by 18mm each side, but can't really reduce the front by that as I will or could have contact issues. The IFS is dragging the rubber/rim's under the flare and this make it OK so what to do. Jenko is loaning me his stock steel rims for the rear, that will get me an OK from Terry but it's not a long term solution. I have to change my STT's over to his rims to get the OK. Another good thing is the 265/70/16's are OK to run. I thought the back space on my rims was sus, 5" BS and +12mm offset. Look's like that = 4.5" back space (not 5", wich is what I was after - my fault), even that would be a problem it seems as I need to reduce by 18mm each side Any one got any real cost's for changing the back space if a steel rim or any ideas. One problem I'm having trouble getting my head around is the 8" wide rim to the 7" wide stock rim and how it changes the centre of the tyre. A 7" wide rum running 5" back spave is only 12mm extra offset so what to do with an 8" wide rim to achieve the extra 12mm offset I want. |
|
| Author: | cmohr [ Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:17 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Moabs.........moabs. |
|
| Author: | CD [ Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:48 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
cmohr wrote: Moabs.........moabs.
Same spec as what I'm running now, so no good. I've now found a place that will change my back space, so I'm back on track. |
|
| Author: | smorison [ Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:53 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
what are your tyre pressures like? could you run much higher to narrow the width of the tyre? not sure what else at this stage.. don't know if that would even matter? all depends on how he measured the track cheers |
|
| Author: | CD [ Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:19 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
smorison wrote: what are your tyre pressures like? could you run much higher to narrow the width of the tyre? not sure what else at this stage.. don't know if that would even matter? all depends on how he measured the track
cheers No mate, wont work. Wheel track is measured from the centre of the tyre (rubber) to the centre on the other side, so more air wont change anything. I thought it was just measured on back space but not so |
|
| Author: | CD [ Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:16 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
PASSED - with Ed's 245/75/16's and his KJ rims So I will get the blue slip on Friday and then go back to my setup, the search continues for my new rims. Problem running stock rims and 245/75/16 is the front wheel track is now less than stock |
|
| Page 1 of 4 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|