| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Upside down tow bar? http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=34691 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | stevemcc [ Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:28 am ] |
| Post subject: | Upside down tow bar? |
Title sounds strange but what I'm trying to work out, or get any thoughts on is.... I've put together a trailer for camping and work and matched the rims and will match the rubber when I replace my current STT's. Problem is the trailer sits higher than the KJ, so it's running nose down. What I'm finding is this seems to push the trailer weight down more on the jeep and makes for some interesting moments when loaded up. The simpest solution I can think of is to flip the tow bar tongue upside down. By flipping it over with the orac coupling I have it lifts the nose of the trailer up to a much more level position. It seems to ride much better, but does anyone think there would there be any issue or difference in running in that configuration. |
|
| Author: | pipeliner [ Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:19 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
I've done exactly the same thing to get my trailer to a decent height - before I couldn't swing the jockey wheel down unless everything was dead level, and that's with a 70mm suspension lift! It's better if you get a long tongue for the towhitch - I can't open the tailgate with the hitch in but at least the pin clears the spare wheel. |
|
| Author: | Fouros [ Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:44 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
steve i dropped the ride height of my trailer by changing it from a spring over axle config to spring under dropped the height by 40mm |
|
| Author: | stevemcc [ Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:13 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
thanks for the replies guys, I don't have a problem with the hitch itself as the orac is fairly flat and clears the tyre even on tight turns. But I might invest in the long tongue for that bit of extra space as atm the rear door catches on the trailer spare and it looks as though it would give me the clearance needed. and yep - I was thinking of swapping over to a spring under but that means taking the guards off, side rails and fitting everything back on higher up. |
|
| Author: | Fouros [ Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:07 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
bugger |
|
| Author: | stevemcc [ Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:27 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Yep - but maybe right is right |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|