| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Rear Shelf http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=34711 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | pipeliner [ Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:17 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Rear Shelf |
Since I fitted the HF radio I could no longer use the folding rear shelf that came with the KJ as the supports fouled the radio. Not a problem until I realised that now that I use the towbar tongue upside down I can't open the tailgate with the towhitch fitted. This would have made it awkward to access recovery gear with the trailer attached, so this weekend I made a shelf to fit across the back which (hopefully) will be strong enough to carry the tools and recovery gear, leaving the space underneath for the luggage that is only needed after the campsite has been set up.
Made of 12mm ply, the back sits in the slots used for the original shelf or the blind, whilst the front is supported by hinged legs either side. the front edge (just behind the rear seats) is stiffened by a length of hardwood glued and screwed, whilst the rear has the lip to stiffen it. All I need now is to put some rubber around the bits of dowel which rest in the slots (to prevent it cracking the plastic trim) and cover it in some of that grey carpet material. Cmohr, where do I get the carpet from? |
|
| Author: | cmohr [ Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:35 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Clarke Rubber has Automotive Carpet, you can buy "By the Metre". Looks good, I have a staple gun if you need it as well. Maybe add som etie-down pionts on the lid so as you can secure the tools and what-not down, that way they can't become projectiles in emergency braking situations. |
|
| Author: | pipeliner [ Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:47 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Thanks Chris. Not too worried about the projectile situation - you may have noticed the steel mesh between the shelf and the driver/passengers! More concerned about damage to the flipper glass, so your hold-down idea will be worth pursuing. Feel free to come round and offer advice! |
|
| Author: | cmohr [ Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:18 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
pipeliner wrote: Thanks Chris. Not too worried about the projectile situation - you may have noticed the steel mesh between the shelf and the driver/passengers! More concerned about damage to the flipper glass, so your hold-down idea will be worth pursuing. Feel free to come round and offer advice!
Yes, thats what I was meaning, damage to rear and side glass as well as making heaps of banging/rattling noises in general driving. You can buy the little tie down points for straps at Supercrap, and just add them after carperting. Maybe have a look at doing it on Saturday at the barbie. Or you can pop over one evening thru the week. |
|
| Author: | CD [ Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:23 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Nice handy work Chris, I think adding the automotive carpet would look the goods. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|