LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Tyre sizes
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=37291
Page 1 of 2

Author:  pipeliner [ Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:14 am ]
Post subject:  Tyre sizes

I've just posted this over in AJOR.

My KJ came with 235/70 R16's as standard and being a sensible sort of fellow I want to replace these with 245/75 R16's as being a better off-road tyre.

The local tyre place refused to fit them as they are more than 15mm larger in diameter than the originals, which is the legal limit here in QLD, so I rang QLD Transport to see if there is any way they can be engineered to comply.

The answer was a resounding "NO!!" Apparently I COULD get them accepted - as long as I put 3 KJ's fitted with this size of tyre through a crash test at 3 different speeds. Sorry, but I'm not that keen. I could fit them to another set of rims and change them over when I leave a gazetted road, as long as I have the original size on all the time the vehicle is on a gazetted road. According to the guy at QT the vast majority of defect notices issued are for oversize tyres.

Has anyone been pulled up and defected for oversize tyres? In particular for tyres which are only 30-40mm over? How many of you run oversize tyres and have never been questioned about them?

Now here comes the cruncher for all you guys who are thanking the Lord that you don't live in Queensland - apparently on July 1st next year new national uniform rules will come into force, and these are based on the Queensland model. What this will do to all your "Engineer's Certificates" for modifications I don't know, but by the sound of it you won't be able to get mods engineered after 1/07/10.


I reckon that I've seen a lot of KJ's with tyres larger in dia than 235/70 R16 - has anyone been defected for this?

Author:  cmohr [ Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:40 am ]
Post subject: 

PM you on AJOR..

CD has blue plate for his 265/70/16's all legal with a certificate because of enginner report. Maybe see if someone up here knows an engineer that can clarify the situation.

There are guys running around legally on 35's and more with certification,

these 245/75/16's aren't BIG tyres and are not even going to raise an eyebrow from mainsroads in general, but, Yes, technically illegal.


I've never been hassled , and I am allways see a police car behind me or beside me and they don't look once, let alone twice.

Author:  Glend [ Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:22 am ]
Post subject:  Here's a suggestion

Buy the tyres in Tweed Heads, I am sure some enterprising NSW tyre shop will take your money. Just make sure you never have an accident, or get stopped by the 'Transport thought police'.

SO what is the policy in NSW? I have heard that a 50mm lift will be ok everywhere (and that is what Stu is doing for me- well at least getting the stuff rady for me to do). Tyres in NSW? Good topic for our drinks night next week in Sydney (Brissy Conference Call could be the go).

Author:  Glend [ Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:42 am ]
Post subject:  RTA Clarification

The maximum allowed change in the national code is the same as NSW RTA for passenger vehicles, but is much more generous for off road passenger vehicles. Off road passenger vehicles are allowed up to 50mm increase in diameter without certification under the national code (Section 4).


NSW RTA are indeed planning to adopt the NCOP code wrt allowed 4wd tyre diameters without the need for certification.

Author:  Glend [ Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:58 am ]
Post subject:  NCOP Link

Here is the NCOP location:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/ ... _ncop.aspx

Author:  CD [ Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:56 am ]
Post subject: 

I will try to get a photo of my enginerred placards for the lift, rubber and rims.

Author:  4WD Pom [ Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

I've been asking this question about the 15mm thing for a couple of weeks and at last it seems that legally it is all you can do. Guess it really is only an issue either when a) you have to get a safety certificate and the person doing it actually looks at your tyre size and the placard in the glove box or b) the coppers pull you over and look at your placard and tyre sizes or c) you have a prang and the insurance assessor sees the tyres, checks the placard and says your car was being driven illegally and invalidates your insurance........

Author:  Fouros [ Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

pipes

i know someone down the coast that will fit them for you

Author:  damo4runner [ Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

My local trye guy also told me about this NCOP but said it was not in force yet so if I fit the tryes it would still be technically illegal, he also said that it has been in the pipeline for AGES and when it will be taken into account by QLD Transport is anyones guess. He didn't say that he wouldn't fit the tryes however but yes it does worry me with the insurance thing. S what at the moment is the actual maximum trye size we can fit LEGALLY?

Author:  CD [ Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

4WD Pom wrote:
or c) you have a prang and the insurance assessor sees the tyres, checks the placard and says your car was being driven illegally and invalidates your insurance........


The KJ is our family car and [ c) ] was the main reason I got a new blue slip and engineered everything on my KJ.

Author:  4WD Pom [ Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

damo4runner wrote:
My local trye guy also told me about this NCOP but said it was not in force yet so if I fit the tryes it would still be technically illegal, he also said that it has been in the pipeline for AGES and when it will be taken into account by QLD Transport is anyones guess. He didn't say that he wouldn't fit the tryes however but yes it does worry me with the insurance thing. S what at the moment is the actual maximum trye size we can fit LEGALLY?


Legally anything 15mm bigger! :)

As all tyres are different you really need to measure but from my understanding really the only option is 245/70s.

Author:  stevemcc [ Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:14 am ]
Post subject: 

I think this is the greyest of grey areas.....

All of the jeeps we have owned have had tires larger than the 15mm from stock- and I've never had a problem getting a safety cert. The insurance companies have always been told and I've never had a problem getting payouts :D Even Jeep hasn't mentioned it when the transmission failed a few months ago :shock:

ARB fitted my tires to the stock rims with no problems

Where I have had problems and two fines is when the tires stick out past the guards, one for each tire :twisted: ( I'd run out of rubber to extend and was going to clark rubber when I got pulled over to an RBT and the new guy decided that since I was sober he would defect my CJ)

My feeling is if it looks dodgy you will get fined or defected. If it looks safe and withing reasonable limits you will be ok. I've been RBT'ed many times in the KJ and never had a problem. Even had a cop at the servo last week asking how the KJ's went as he was looking at buying one :D

The general 4wd world sees the KJ as a 'Mall Cruiser' and most people go along with that :roll: In fact we all own stealth jeeps - real 4wd's without the unwanted attention :lol: :lol:

Author:  Fouros [ Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:44 am ]
Post subject: 

stevemcc wrote:
In fact we all own stealth jeeps - real 4wd's without the unwanted attention :lol: :lol:


i am going to steal that line and turn it into my signature :lol:

Author:  Glend [ Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Stealth KJs

You know Darby is still selling those KJ CRD Stealth decals (they become highly reflective at night when hit with headlights). Perhaps every Stealth KJ should be equipped. I admit I bought a set but have not been game to put them on.

Author:  CD [ Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Stealth KJs

Glend wrote:
You know Darby is still selling those KJ CRD Stealth decals (they become highly reflective at night when hit with headlights). Perhaps every Stealth KJ should be equipped. I admit I bought a set but have not been game to put them on.


Cool, what do they look like (any pic's). I've been thinking of changing my hood decal, but not 100% on that yet. I'm also looking to get a good price on a large vinyl decal for the rear window. As I removed all my bloody cool decals my KJ feels like it's now ready to be revived.

Quote:
Fouros

stevemcc wrote:
In fact we all own stealth jeeps - real 4wd's without the unwanted attention


i am going to steal that line and turn it into my signature


:lol: and where are you going to find room for that Fros. Your sig is huge mate, infact I had to take a toilet break half way through reading it LOL.

Author:  Fouros [ Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:33 pm ]
Post subject: 

i will squeeze it in somewhere cd

Author:  Glend [ Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:15 am ]
Post subject:  Stealth Decals

CD, I'll bring them (three in the kit) along to the drinks next Tuesday.

Author:  CD [ Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Stealth Decals

Glend wrote:
CD, I'll bring them (three in the kit) along to the drinks next Tuesday.


I could do with a drink now :shock: .

Author:  CD [ Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:00 am ]
Post subject:  Pipeliner

So Chris what are you going to do?

Author:  stevemcc [ Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:39 am ]
Post subject: 

how many more decals are floating about? I know it might be a hard question as they are "stealth" bit like askig the ivisable man how many pairs of socks he has :lol:

And yes it has been a long day.........


so anyone play the suburb game when bored on drives.... for example..

in what Suburb would you find male cows ripped apart?.......Toorbul


Any more??

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/