| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| My 1st 4x4 (first car I bought) http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=37636 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | CD [ Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:21 am ] |
| Post subject: | My 1st 4x4 (first car I bought) |
I bought this after leaving school when an apprentice printer, I loved it and still do (wish I still had it
|
|
| Author: | pipeliner [ Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:12 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
My first 4x4 was the silver 2002 2.5CRD KJ that I had when I came to QLD in 2004. My first car (to use the term loosely) was a 1957 Series II Morris Minor van, ex Post Office
except that mine was red, not green, as it came from the mail section rather than telephones. Note the black wings. These were very thick rubber mouldings used exclusively on vans made for the Post Office: presumably because postal workers were such lousy drivers! Engine was an 803cc ohv 4! Cost me 30 pounds in 1964. |
|
| Author: | Fouros [ Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:04 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
ahh the memories my first car was a 1971 Valiant VJ ranger station wagon with an E49 spec 265 ( yes it did have the triple webbers}, it didnt have a straight panel and it was full of rust but damm it could give the blokes in thier 5.0L VK bommadores a flogging |
|
| Author: | stevemcc [ Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:33 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
No pics as they are now all either in the UK or a pile of mush after three floods ina year But first car was a vauxhall astra in metalic green with a dodgy carb that used to flood the engine going round roundabouts and then stall and refuse to start for 5 mins - I used to be an almost permanent traffic hazard in York. Then a few Mini's, 44 to be exact. a range of 850's,1000's,1257's and a very quick 1600 ( new engine from an austin allegro) with a straight cut racing gear box - poo brown with a rustkill black roof. Loved that car. gave it to my sister who worked at a car dealership. They offered to fix the brakes 1 hour later the brakes failed and it got written off. It drove better then the BMW mini I had a couple of years ago. And 10 CJ7's - the mini's paid for the CJ's. Sold the last one this year and miss it every day - I've seen 5 different CJ7's at woolies in Paddington in the past week and I want one back.....or maybe a CJ8 Now just the KJ - but I love it |
|
| Author: | Fouros [ Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:58 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
i will have to talk to you steve i need to find some genuine seats for my 78 CJ7 i am begining to restore |
|
| Author: | stevemcc [ Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:18 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
glad to hear your doing a resto - I allways tried to keep them stock-ish, nothing to wild and stock where it worked, improved where it kept breaking. But I did all of them - other than the last one in the UK. There were a couple of guys in Doncaster that had a warehouse full of jeep parts - everything from torx bolts, dash pads, seals, panels the lot. To do the one here I used a guy in Canada for those difficult parts. Seats are a pain though - I've stripped seats and welded the problems before to keep original. There is a mob out at albion that do really good recovering and trimming. Used them a couple of times and been pleased with the price and result. Sourced the last set of carpets from them and was pleased. The next best thing is bestop - look great - surpisingly not as comfortable |
|
| Author: | Fouros [ Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:24 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
unfortunatley i dont have the originals, i have sorced some rugged ridge reproduction risers, just looking for the actual seats now if you dont mind i will pick your brains as the time goes on and get those numbers off you Fros |
|
| Author: | cmohr [ Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:45 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Hey Steve, I still have my 1966 Mk1 Cooper "S" under the house doing a resto on it, been slow though, beeen ongoing for past 16yrs... Just got it started a few months back, now the starter motor has just locked up.... Still a long way to go untill he's back on the road... Love that little bugger. |
|
| Author: | 2JeepFamily [ Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:57 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
first 4WD was a Hilux fist car was a 1975 HJ Statesman handed down from Dad. Over the next 2 years I rebuilt everything as of course I lost my licence in the space of 12 months only to have the prep work for the body all finished and have someone T bone me send the car with me and 2 screaming girls into a house on Melton Rd. That was why I vowed never to drive a small car again (Corolla and other little Japanese cars).Mini's are pretty strong for the size Mind you it made way for faster VB Commodore and much more stupidity on my behalf. Finally saw the light 5 years ago. |
|
| Author: | CD [ Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:46 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
2JeepFamily wrote: Mind you it made way for faster VB Commodore and much more stupidity on my behalf. Ahh yes the VB Commodore, my 2nd car was a Triumph 2500S. A mate of mine had a VB, had a few races around town and the 2500S never let me down |
|
| Author: | pipeliner [ Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:02 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Cars I have owned since 1964. In the UK Morris Minor vans (3 of them!) Austin Healey Sprite Mk1 (Frogeye - wish I still had it) Vauxhall Victor FD Ford Escort Estate Mk1 In Australia Ford Cortina Honda Z (now that was interesting!) Valiant Safari wagon Mazda Capella Falcon AU Falcon EAII Jeep KJ 2.5CRD Jeep KJ 2.8CRD Only 14 in 44 years - I obviously wasn't trying! |
|
| Author: | cmohr [ Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:05 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
First to current Mini 1100 - standard very old very rusty, had worlds biggest homemade sunroof Mini Cooper "s" - still have him. Worlds best car ever. Toyota Celica - 1977 Fastback model (the one that looks like a mustang) Black eveything, Lowered, Two litre Twin cam engine, twin 45 sidedraft webbers, worlds largest extractors, big tyres, could spin the wheels going into third at 130. In 5th at 5500rpm @ 1/4 trottle was doing a tad over 230kph, engine could rev to 9000. Traded in for>>>>> Daihatsu Foroza II - engine died at 23000km they would cover it under warranty, replaced engine with a import for 850.00, put engine in one morning-started car- drove straight down to Toyota and tradedit in on >>>>> Toyota Four Runner RV6 5 speed manual - Brillliant vehicle.... ran and ran and ran...had 11 yrs Traded in for >>>>>>> Jeep KJ 2004 |
|
| Author: | 2JeepFamily [ Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:45 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
pity about the Feroza Cmohr. I bought one for the missus with 60 thou on the clock just before we moved to Moura. We had for 4 years and another 150 thou never missed a beat. She had to go to remote properties on some of the most crappy roads in Queensland. it is amazing how one experience is different from another [/quote]Ahh yes the VB Commodore, my 2nd car was a Triumph 2500S. A mate of mine had a VB, had a few races around town and the 2500S never let me down I am the first to admitt that some of the stuff I use to do was stupid in the commodore. I had the 308 in it and was good for 360 horsepower I could get it to 7200rpm and had it there far to many times. The gateway was not a good place to find out how fast it would go. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|