LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Lokka? Opinions
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=38150
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Glend [ Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Lokka? Opinions

I have noticed that Lokkas for the Dana 30 are fairly cheap compared to DTT (only $449 apparently). How does the operation of the Lokka differ from the DTT or ARB airlockers? :?: and suitabliity for the KJ.

BTW I have read through numerous Ausjeep posts where Lokka, Lockright, DTT, etc are discussed so please don't send me there, I'm after KJ owner opinions based upon experience. I am only considering it for the front. I admit to being a bit spooked about losing traction to the outside front wheel.

Author:  smorison [ Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lokka? Opinions

Glend wrote:
I have noticed that Lokkas for the Dana 30 are fairly cheap compared to DTT (only $449 apparently). How does the operation of the Lokka differ from the DTT or ARB airlockers? :?: and suitabliity for the KJ.

BTW I have read through numerous Ausjeep posts where Lokka, Lockright, DTT, etc are discussed so please don't send me there, I'm after KJ owner opinions based upon experience. I am only considering it for the front. I admit to being a bit spooked about losing traction to the outside front wheel.



hey Glen,
not sure if the guys post here but on AJOR there are few now with auto lockers like the LOKKA/DTT/ ... perhaps ask them for a drivers opinion.

the difference compared manual and auto lockers is that the Manual (ARB) are activated via compressed air when the driver decides to activate them.
the auto lockers simpliest way to describe it is a LSD on super sensitive settings where it detects slippage it locks the dif up ensuring power goes to both wheels...

both have advantages and disadvantages... but for IFS i'd say we need a front locker more than a rear as we lift wheels so quickly... whether you go auto or manual is personal preference / size of wallet.

Author:  Glend [ Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Lockers and Traction Control

I've just re-read the KJ Renegade post on Ausjeep:

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/sho ... +Lockright

as usual Stig (aka the Slippery Owl) is a fountain of information. What I am trying to get to grips with now is whether the "All Speed Traction Control" supplied from the factory in my KJ somehow negates advantages of locker type technology. I was reading a piece in 4WD Action (the current issue #127) on page 88 where a Grand Cherokee was climbing a loose surface hill with TC turned off and then on. By braking spinning wheels does this not reduce concerns about lifting a wheel stopping forward momentum?

Author:  Glend [ Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Amazing what you can find by looking

I ran across an article on Jeep Traction Control over on the US Jambo 2008 website which linked out to a piece on how the Braked Locked Diff performs. Here is the link:

http://blog.chryslerllc.com/blog.do;jse ... 70&p=entry

Based on this I believe that even lifting a wheel on the front axle will not stop progress as it will be braked to the speed of the grounded wheel. So I'm happy with that.

Author:  Fouros [ Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:59 am ]
Post subject: 

glen you also have to look at which diff The Dana 30 is a completly different animal to the Dana30A

and the trutrac is more of a LSD than a true lokker

Author:  pipeliner [ Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:02 am ]
Post subject: 

Don't forget that the ESP only operates in High range and is disabled when you select Low range.

Author:  Glend [ Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:36 am ]
Post subject:  TCS (Brake Lock Diff (BLD)) operates in Low Range

Pipeliner sorry to disagree, but the brake lock diff functions of TCS appear to remain active in 4WD Low. To quote my Owners Manual:

TCS section, Last three lines ...re Brake Lock Diff "This feature remains active even if TCS and ESP are in the 'Partial Off' mode. In the ESP section it states..."When in 'Partial Off' mode, the TCS portion of ESP, except for the "Limited Slip" feature described in the TCS section (aka BLD), has been disabled...".

In the section on 4WD Low Range it states "In 4WD Low range, ESP and TCS, except for the 'limited slip' feature described in the TCS section, are turned off until the vehicle reaches a speed of 48km/h.

Author:  pipeliner [ Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

You have to forgive me, I'm an engineer - reading the instruction manual is a "last resort" action!

Author:  Glend [ Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

No worries, I understand, my son's an electrical engineer and he never reads the instructions on anything.

Author:  smorison [ Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:19 am ]
Post subject: 

pipeliner wrote:
You have to forgive me, I'm an engineer - reading the instruction manual is a "last resort" action!



LOL!
manuals are for boring people...

hehe... why do you think IT came up with the term R.T.F.M ;) it applies to everyone else except ourselves :P

Author:  2JeepFamily [ Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:09 am ]
Post subject: 

What's this thing you call an "instruction manual" is it something I am supposed to read?
Sorry now to more serious question's. G'ME How's those DTT's going. Keen to hear another
report on life with cool diff center's. Still no on road steering issue's ?
I have been tinkering with idea of how to strengthen the ally front diff housing as well,
has anyone got a broken housing they are willing to give up in the name of research ?
Doesn't mater how many piece's either as after I figure out what casting they are I am
going weld it and machine it anyway.

Author:  Team J.a.G [ Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

2JeepFamily wrote:
I have been tinkering with idea of how to strengthen the ally front diff housing as well,
has anyone got a broken housing they are willing to give up in the name of research ?
Doesn't mater how many piece's either as after I figure out what casting they are I am
going weld it and machine it anyway.


Of course I have broken diff housing!!!!!!!!!......... for some reason I couldn't just throw it away, even though it is total useless to me.......I guess it must be the memories :!: :roll: :lol:
And yes in the name of research You are welcome to it, but how to get all that shrapnel up to you is the question :?: .

I am planning on coming to Deep water NP in January as you know I could bring it with me then unless you would prefer to receive it before then?? :?: Let me know

Author:  mikey [ Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

OOOOHHHH...the GRENADING diff lives again!!!
hahahahaha

Author:  jsc7002 [ Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have the DTT and I love it, Ive yet to have it slip on me, plus it is cheaper than an ARB and you dont have to worry about the air lines or a seal breaking

Author:  2JeepFamily [ Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

Of course I have broken diff housing!!!!!!!!!......... for some reason I couldn't just throw it away, even though it is total useless to me.......I guess it must be the memories :!: :roll: :lol:
And yes in the name of research You are welcome to it, but how to get all that shrapnel up to you is the question :?: .

I am planning on coming to Deep water NP in January as you know I could bring it with me then unless you would prefer to receive it before then?? :?: Let me know[/quote]

Thanks, when you you come up for deepwater will be fine as I will definately see you on Sunday.
The mission will be to weld all the broken bits back together and add extra rib's and a collar around
the pinion shaft. Cast ally is easy to weld just hard to keep contaminet's out of joint. Also if all goes to plan
cryoing it help the grain structure although not sure about a welded item. Big job but not impossible
but will take some time.

Author:  G'ME MUD [ Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:33 am ]
Post subject: 

[quote="2JeepFamily"]What's this thing you call an "instruction manual" is it something I am supposed to read?
Sorry now to more serious question's. G'ME How's those DTT's going. Keen to hear another
report on life with cool diff center's. Still no on road steering issue's ?

No steering issues at all, a more pronounced return to centre when 4X4 FULL TIME is selected and very slightly heaver steering, can still turn at full lock on the tarmac no worries. In 2WD there is no noticeable difference to the original set up. The other day I was driving on my daughters lawn in 2WD and turned sharply and you could see where the inside rear tyre had chewed the grass up a bit as the DTT was doing its thing,( my daughter pointed it out :lol: ) I have not noticed that before with the original limited slip, so must be working to a higher degree. I still have not been off road with them yet to really try them out.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=38254. Here are some other opinions on the tru tracs
Regards Ross

Author:  Team J.a.G [ Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

mikey wrote:
OOOOHHHH...the GRENADING diff lives again!!!
hahahahaha


Mikey!!!!!! Good to hear from you again............where have you been buddy :?: Missed at the Pipes' Xmas BBQ :( I doo hope my exploding diff did not put you off joining in our expeditions :?: :)

Author:  mikey [ Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hi Team JAG!!
All's well, was working on the day of the Xmas Curry Fest :cry:
I was a bit spooked at how easily that diff of yours let go, but time helps erase bad memories!!!
I'll be keen for a run soon in the new year.
All the best for xmas and the new year, and enjoy your travels
M.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/