| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| CRD Owners - Provent hoses degrading http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=43015 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Glend [ Sat May 09, 2009 1:48 am ] |
| Post subject: | CRD Owners - Provent hoses degrading |
It's normal for the CCV re-route hoses to discolour (assuming you used clear reinforced fuel rated PVC), oil coats the inside of the CCV to Provent hose but the return hose should be clear of oil. I have noticed that my hoses have started to become hardened and have assumed that this was due to the heat they are exposed to on top of the engine. I also had a small oil leak at the bottom of the Provent (drain fitting). So I pulled it all out today to replace the hoses and clean the leak up. Here's what I found (after 20 months in place): 1. Most of the clamps had worked themselves a bit loose (as I check these six months ago I assume the hardening of the hose material is reducing flex and transmitting more movement to the joint. 2. The hoses had become so hard and inflexible that I could not remove them from their fittings and had to slice the end to get them off. 3. The area of the hoses over the engine was the worse, they were literally black (and not due to oil inside), this has to be a heat effect. In fact, despite the discolouration, the return to turbo hose (the bottom one in the photo below) was as clean inside as the day it was installed. So I recommend some regular (one a year) Provent hose maintenance checks to make sure that leaks don't develop and to R&R the hoses about every year and a half to two years (if your using the clear hoses, I can't say how fuel rated Nitrel hoses behave). Here are some pics: Old hoses removed, top one is the CCV to Provent hose and the bottom one is the return to turbo hose.
New hoses installed, looks much better.
|
|
| Author: | linewarbr [ Tue May 12, 2009 7:46 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
What are the three filters in a cluster on the fender side of your fuel filter head unit? My North American LHD 2006 KJ CRD doesn't have that. They individually look very similar to the "Boost Pressure Solenoid Filter" on mine, but it is just one, and located directly to the rear of the airbox. |
|
| Author: | Glend [ Tue May 12, 2009 5:17 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Those three filters are simply the caps that I have used for my three front breather extensions that now terminate high up on the firewall (Front Diff, Transmission and Transfer Case). I also have the solenoid filter in the same location as you. |
|
| Author: | ed. [ Sun May 17, 2009 7:34 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Would it be better to use rated rubber hoses? |
|
| Author: | Glend [ Sun May 17, 2009 7:52 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
ed, those are fuel rated reinforced marine hoses, what they don't seem to cope with is the heat they are subject to under the engine cover. It would be interesting to run a parallel test on say a JK CRD that does not have an engine cover. In fact I will try that, my son has a JK CRD and I will be installing a Provent on his vehicle in about a month. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|