LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Flinders & Strezelecki Track Trip possible
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=60115
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Glend [ Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Flinders & Strezelecki Track Trip possible

I know I am getting my horse well and truely before the cart but here goes:

A few recent comments by some Sydney KJ owners have led me to put together an idea for a trip in late August early September.

The idea is to do the Flinders Ranges from the south at a fairly easy pace, travel north to Copley, and up the Strezelecki Track to Camerons Corner (with options beyond that). This would be a 10 day to 14 day trip depending on options.

SO....if anyone is interested let me know and I will send you more details. I am thinking a minimum of three vehicles, max of six? Tracks are offroad campertrailer suitable (assuming its a real offroad campertrailer).

Author:  gi frog [ Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Flinders & Strezelecki Track Trip possible

Hi All,
Sounds like a good trip to me .
Count me in .
Who else?


Gi frog x1 (yes)

Author:  pipeliner [ Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Flinders & Strezelecki Track Trip possible

Don't forget to:
    Have a coffee and cake at the Copley Bakery
    Swim in the Montecollina Bore
    Treat yourselves to a meal at the Blinman Hotel
    Visit Brachina and Parachilna Gorges

If you turn off at Copley rather than Lyndhurst you will travel on the Mt Hopeless road to join up with the Strez just SW of Montecollina. A much more interesting road compared to the Strez which is basically the gasfield supply road and virtually at highway standard.

In fact if you are coming in from Sydney why not come through Broken Hill and then turn north at Yunta up the old mail road to Curnamona and Martins Well. After Martins Well you turn west to go through Brachina Gorge, up the highway to Parachilna and then through the Parachilna Gorge to Blinman. From Blinman there are a number of good and not-so-good dirt roads heading up to join the Copley-Arkaroola-Mt Hopeless road at Balcanoona.

When I worked on the Moomba-Adelaide pipeline back in the 80's the Yunta-Martins Well road was our emergency access when the main pipeline track north from Peterborough was impassable. If you like I can post up a set of GPS waypoints.

Be aware that if you take this dirt road option there is no fuel or other supplies between Yunta and Parachilna (300km) and between Blinman and Cameron Corner (500km).

Author:  Glend [ Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Flinders & Strezelecki Track Trip possible

Thanks Pipes. I realise I did not put up an itinerary here but re your suggestions:

Have a coffee and cake at the Copley Bakery - the itinerary calls for dinner at the Copley Pub and breakfast the next day at the Bakery (overnight there at the Copley caravan park).
Swim in the Montecollina Bore - that's a scheduled overnight stopover at the campground there.
Treat yourselves to a meal at the Blinman Hotel - it's on the list
Visit Brachina and Parachilna Gorges - they are on the list as well as Sacred Canyon.

We would be turning north at Yunta and up through Waukaringa and Erudina woolshed then west to Wilpena Pound (there is a wonderful lookput pinnacle on that road as you get near the Pound).

We also have some option days and detours that would be decided on depending on time available, such as:

carrying on north of Merty Merty to Innamincka (and next day to Burke's Grave and Dig Tree) before coming back to the Corner via the Old Strez.

One problem already emerging is someone wants to take a campertrailer that is not a real offroad category trailer (ball hitch, leaf springs, and not much else)- hence the Strez from Lyndhurst to Montecollina is probably the preferred route for them. They would probably be ok from Yunta on to Montecollina via Flinders NP but after that I don't know.
That fact alone may kill the trip or limit it (for them) to a visit to the Flinders NP attractions on a Yunta to Wilpena and return on pavement loop down through Port Augusta.

We'll see what happens but it may have to change.

Author:  pipeliner [ Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Flinders & Strezelecki Track Trip possible

The last time I did the Mt Hopeless road from Balcanoona to the Strez (2008) it was red bulldust just about all the way - not a road I would recommend for an on-road trailer. It's many years since I have used the mail road north from Yunta, but I would hesitate to suggest that it was OK for such a trailer particularly once you turn off the Frome Downs road.

It's a pity if the rest of you have to stick to the sealed roads just because one person has an unsuitable rig. Maybe if the rest of you turn off at Yunta he can carry on to Peterborough then come up through Orroroo and Hawker and meet you at Wilpena, then leave you again at Blinman and catch up at Montecollina. Alternatively he could take a spare leaf spring and wheel bearing set and trust to luck!

Author:  Glend [ Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Flinders & Strezelecki Track Trip possible

Thanks Pipes, I have suggested to him that he ring SA Roads and get some advice on the suitability of his camper trailer for the tracks planned. Having some go one way and others another sort of defeats the purpose of travelling together. He would still have to deal with the Strez after Montecollina, so I'll let SA Roads comment on that. I have a feeling that the trip might change to just a Flinders NP loop - which any sort of car and light camper could do. Definitely lessens the atraction for me to go.

Author:  pipeliner [ Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Flinders & Strezelecki Track Trip possible

The Strez from Lyndhurst right through to Innamincka is fine for 2wd and road trailers these days - as I said it is a major highway and is kept in v. good condition. Ditto the road from Merty Merty to Cameron Corner and on to Tibooburra.

Author:  cmohr [ Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Flinders & Strezelecki Track Trip possible

http://www.nationalparkguide.com.au/sou ... gie-lakes/

Author:  Glend [ Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Flinders & Strezelecki Track Trip possible

This possible trip has fizzeled out for this year. One couple that were most keen are heading off just after ANZAC day to do just the Flinders area with their campertrailer. I don't see much point in trying to convene another trip in late August. Consider this thread closed.

Now about that NSW and Qld KJ gathering...... I guess we wait for the Europeans to return to discuss.

Author:  Team J.a.G [ Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Flinders & Strezelecki Track Trip possible

Glend wrote:
Now about that NSW and Qld KJ gathering...... I guess we wait for the Europeans to return to discuss.



Yes please :SOMBRERO:

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/