It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Are new bumpstops necessary with Rusty's 2.5" lift?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:00 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 1111
Location: Erial, NJ
If I do not put new bumpstops on and the tires get stuffed, will I do any damage? Tires will be 245/75/16.

Edit: I would like to order the bump stops then. What brand and where should I order from? Also, would two additional rear spring isolators on each side in the back supplement new bumpstops?

Edit2: Are these what I want?

http://www.rjroffroad.com/Daystar-EVS-Foam-Bump-Stops-pr-16912.html

Also, what is the difference between a soft bump stop and a hard bump stop? I thought they were only there to prevent over-travel.


Last edited by BeepBeepJeepJeep on Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Are new bumpstops necessary with Rusty's 2.5" lift?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:02 pm 
Offline
This member has been Banned

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:18 pm
Posts: 2301
Location: Harahan LA (the burbs)
BeepBeepJeepJeep wrote:
If I do not put new bumpstops on and the tires get stuffed, will I do any damage? Tires will be 245/75/16.



stock rims with NO spacers you will be fine
at least I have very minor rubbing at full tire hanging stuff out back
it will make a clean spot on the liner in 2 places at the top and on the inside wall and it will rub the paint off of the front most part of the flair
but they are plastic so it dont need paint

in the front I can not get it to stuff that far that I can see
I know that even with a front tire off the ground I can still see piston rod on the strut


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:09 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
You may have alittle rubbing on the rear..

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:46 pm 
Offline
This member has been Banned

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:18 pm
Posts: 2301
Location: Harahan LA (the burbs)
Jeepjeepster wrote:
You may have alittle rubbing on the rear..




read above :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:42 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:50 pm
Posts: 760
Location: nj
I haven't ripped anything off yet. :)

_________________
02' Sport- SOLD

07' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 4x4
Yeah it's got a hemi!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:58 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 1111
Location: Erial, NJ
I would like to get bump stops then... where should I order them from and what brand? Also, would two additional rear spring isolators on each side in the back supplement new bumpstops?

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:24 pm 
Offline
This member has been Banned

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:18 pm
Posts: 2301
Location: Harahan LA (the burbs)
BeepBeepJeepJeep wrote:
I would like to get bump stops then... where should I order them from and what brand? Also, would two additional rear spring isolators on each side in the back supplement new bumpstops?

Thanks!



Nope the new isolators will give you more lift but will not limit your up travle
bump stops keep the axel from going to far up

as far as what to use any thing that is metal or rubber/poly that will keep the axel from going up to far
for 245/74 on an OE wheel with no wheel spacers you may need 3/4-1"
I am using some from a F250/350 lift and cutting them down to 1"
they are made strong ,3/4 ton trucks are heavy, and have a steel back with a bolt on it I will let you know in 6 months when I get around to doing it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:53 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:02 pm
Posts: 548
Location: Aberdeen, SD
use rubber hockey pucks....theres a write up somewhere but im not sure it was on a kj.

_________________
Its a Jeep Thing...
IF CAPS LOOK IS ON IM AT WORK DONT WORRY BOUT IT IM NOT YELLING HAHA

2005 RENEGADE 4X4
2.5 RUSTYS LIFT
245/75/16 GOODYEAR MTR'S
FULL TINT
13 MILES TO THE GALLON.....GOD darn HAHA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:48 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 1111
Location: Erial, NJ
Are these what I want?

http://www.rjroffroad.com/Daystar-EVS-Foam-Bump-Stops-pr-16912.html

Also, what is the difference between a soft bump stop and a hard bump stop? I thought they were only there to prevent over-travel.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:11 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:46 pm
Posts: 1251
Location: Sparta
Bumpstops are necessary on a properly tuned suspension. They not only keep your tires from hitting where they shouldn't, but they also control flex so you don't over compress your expensive lift springs causing premature wear and sag.

Here is a tech article I did (not on a KJ, but same principles apply) on adjusting bumpstops, and it mentions using hockey pucks, which are nice because they are dirt cheap ($1 in most places), they are hard rubber, so almost no compression but easy to drill holes for mounting bolts, they are exactly 1" in thickness, and the diameter is enough for using in the rear coil buckets on a KJ.
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/A ... pstops.htm

I also sell 2" HDPE bumpstops that I manufacturer myself that are 2" in height and come with instuctions and hardware (scroll down a little to find them):
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/g ... sories.htm

You don't want soft bumpstops. Those I would think are mostly for prerunner type suspension setups with a lot of jumping and landing.

_________________
WWW.ROCKLIZARDFABRICATIONS.COM

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:27 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:21 pm
Posts: 212
Location: Long Island
Im running 245/75-16 MT/R's without new bump stops in the back and it get some rub sometimes, do it right the first time and throw the new bump stops in, saves the headache later.

_________________
2004 Silver Sport
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2681621


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:58 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 1111
Location: Erial, NJ
Rock Lizard wrote:
Bumpstops are necessary on a properly tuned suspension. They not only keep your tires from hitting where they shouldn't, but they also control flex so you don't over compress your expensive lift springs causing premature wear and sag.

Here is a tech article I did (not on a KJ, but same principles apply) on adjusting bumpstops, and it mentions using hockey pucks, which are nice because they are dirt cheap ($1 in most places), they are hard rubber, so almost no compression but easy to drill holes for mounting bolts, they are exactly 1" in thickness, and the diameter is enough for using in the rear coil buckets on a KJ.
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/A ... pstops.htm

I also sell 2" HDPE bumpstops that I manufacturer myself that are 2" in height and come with instuctions and hardware (scroll down a little to find them):
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/g ... sories.htm

You don't want soft bumpstops. Those I would think are mostly for prerunner type suspension setups with a lot of jumping and landing.


Wow that is creative as hell. How many hockey pucks would I need to use on each side?

Edit: Nevermind, I re-read your writeup.... So if I'm doing a 2.5" Lift + .5" Rear spring isolater = 3" I will need 3 pucks on each side?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:16 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:46 pm
Posts: 1251
Location: Sparta
BeepBeepJeepJeep wrote:
Wow that is creative as hell. How many hockey pucks would I need to use on each side?

Edit: Nevermind, I re-read your writeup.... So if I'm doing a 2.5" Lift + .5" Rear spring isolater = 3" I will need 3 pucks on each side?


Best way to know for sure is to flex it to the point you want it to stop, then measure the distance between the existing bumpstop and the contact point. Take that measurement, add about 1/2" for rubber compression on the stock bumpstop, and there you go.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:14 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:29 am
Posts: 377
I have 265x70 16 sized tires and I don't get that much rubbing, just a little on the left inside/top of the wheel well.

I only added one hockey puck, just enough to keep my shocks from bottoming out.

_________________
2002 Liberty Limited
2.5" Rusty's Coil Lift + OME 927 springs + 1/4" spacers
265x70 Revos
Warn 4x Floods
ARB bumper
TeraFlex extended front bumpstops
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
Bosch Size 86 battery
Jeepin by Al's 4.5 UC Arms
Kryptonite Differential Cover
JBA Bolt on KJ Tri-Angulated 4 Link


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:03 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:13 pm
Posts: 243
Location: Yuma, AZ
OK. I've seen the post about the "formula" for determining how much bump stop to use and read Rock Lizard's tech article. The problem is my current health situation doesn't permit me to do the measuring and installation myself. I'm having a local shop put in my lift and would like to get the bumpstops installed at the same time. I'm providing all the parts for them to install.

I'll be running OME coils, front and rear, Rancho struts and shocks, Spydertrax spacers and 245/65/17's on my stock 17 x 7 wheels. Will one inch tall bumpstops do the trick or should I use more?

I know RockLizard has the 2 inch ones available, I believe the Daystars are about 1 inch tall ( judging from the pics of the Frankenlift pieces), and I found a variety of styles and heights on Summit's site.

_________________
2007 KJ Limited 4x4

29G, Tow pkg, full skids, bun warmers, moon roof
Amsoil Air Filter, CB, custom cargo box
OME / Rancho Lift / Rockcrusher rear Diff Cover / Super Skink Sliders (not installed yet)
245/75R16 GY MT/R's with Crager 16 x 8 x 5" BS wheels
L.O.S.T. # 005465


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:34 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:30 pm
Posts: 17
Location: Corpus Christi , Texas
I did not put in new bumpstops....I am also about to upgrade to a 265/75/16 tire....I have no rubbing issues and no problems at all with my current tires.
You will be just fine.

_________________
***Proud Army Wife***

02' Liberty Sport 4x4
W/ Tow & Offroad Pack
2.5 Rusty's Suspension Lift
Some Thule stuff...K&N...yada...yada...
265/75/16 BFG AT's


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:26 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 1111
Location: Erial, NJ
Bs02KJ wrote:
I did not put in new bumpstops....I am also about to upgrade to a 265/75/16 tire....I have no rubbing issues and no problems at all with my current tires.
You will be just fine.


Do you wheel your jeep at all?

_________________
Have fun out there.

2003 Cactus Green Renegade w/ NP231 & NV3550
Al's 4th Gen UCAs
Custom 3.5" Lift
Rear DTT
Spidertraxed 245/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:11 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:30 pm
Posts: 17
Location: Corpus Christi , Texas
We do alot of soft sand beach driving and mud running (so yes I do have it in 4 wheel drive quite often)....but I am not in an area where I can do any serious rock crawling....still no issues.
I expect a bit of rubbing with the 265's but nothing that will cause me any serious issues and I have never had any issues at all with the bump stops.
I do know that the 2002 stock Libby is a bit taller than newer models of stock Libbys....so I am not sure how much of that will factor in as well.
:D

_________________
***Proud Army Wife***

02' Liberty Sport 4x4
W/ Tow & Offroad Pack
2.5 Rusty's Suspension Lift
Some Thule stuff...K&N...yada...yada...
265/75/16 BFG AT's


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:12 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
Bs02KJ wrote:
We do alot of soft sand beach driving and mud running (so yes I do have it in 4 wheel drive quite often)....but I am not in an area where I can do any serious rock crawling....still no issues.
I expect a bit of rubbing with the 265's but nothing that will cause me any serious issues and I have never had any issues at all with the bump stops.
I do know that the 2002 stock Libby is a bit taller than newer models of stock Libbys....so I am not sure how much of that will factor in as well.
:D
When you put a coil lift on it does not matter if your KJ is a pre-lowered one or not,actually a pre-lowered KJ will only get 1.75" of lift from a 2.5" coil lift.I have to have rear bumpstops or I'll be ripping more then my rear flares off(which I've done so I removed them),but I do rockcrawling and do stuff my tires often,mud running you'll not see the extreme flex as rockcrawling will so you'll get away from not having rear bumpstops running 265/75's.Now if your running 245/75's then you should not need rear bumpstops because those tires are alot smaller.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:18 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:30 pm
Posts: 17
Location: Corpus Christi , Texas
Good info and great looking Jeep! .... :D

_________________
***Proud Army Wife***

02' Liberty Sport 4x4
W/ Tow & Offroad Pack
2.5 Rusty's Suspension Lift
Some Thule stuff...K&N...yada...yada...
265/75/16 BFG AT's


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com