It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: CV angles
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:16 am 
Offline
This member has been Banned

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:18 pm
Posts: 2301
Location: Harahan LA (the burbs)
I know that this is a "hot topic" from time to time but I was looking at the KJ on flat ground and our CV's
are darn near perfect ,horizontal that is
we run OME lift and 245/75's so I know we have at least 1.5" over stock and we have very little if any rake
the question is if they come from the factory 1.5" lower than what I am now then that would put the outer end lower
than the inner end relative to 1.5" so if I add another 1-1.5" I would put the outer end 1.5" lower than the inner end but still have factory angle?
does that sound right?

easier version
stock = outer end of CV shaft is X" higher than inner end of shaft ,stock angle
OME coils = shaft is parallel to ground or 90* to tire
OME + Y" of lift = shaft back to factory angle but now outer is lower than inner


I know that too much angle on a CV joint causes premature wear
I want more lift for the KJ
If the KJ's CV was at X angle stock it should not matter what end is higher as it rotates 360* all the time
so if it put it back to that angle ,what ever it is, I should be fine ,till some thing else breaks
Do I put WAY to much thought in to things?
would an alum. spacer ring under the front spring inside the strut be an issue ,besides ball joint contact?
I am thinking about a 1/2" spacer not a 1" spacer ,just a little more
I would put it under the rubber pad right on the strut ,kinda like what the frankie has but alum.
because I can get it laser cut and cheep to free


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:20 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
When they designed the kj's suspension, they made it so the cv's would be level at all times. They then lowered them by .75" which put the cv's pointing upwards.

With that said, when I had the OME lift, they were SLIGHTLY downward. Now with the Rustys lift they look like this:

Image

Eddo and I compared our lifts and it seems that his Jeep is around 1" higher than mine. He has the Franken lift.

I wouldnt worry about the cv's at all if your just going 1/2" higher.

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:54 am 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
mine look about like jeepsters well with a little bit more angle than his, but come about the middle of next month I am going to do some experimenting with some parts I have gathered together. I am adding a top plate, (tearing apart an OTT that came with the used ARB bumper ) plus some other things thats laying around in the garage to gain about 1/2 to 3/4 inch or more! Hope Sean 150 and jerbacher dont say what all is laying in boxes! :lol: :lol:

I dont think that what you want to do Jason that its going to cause any problems esp. if yours are just having a little angle now. So why aluminum spacer????

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:09 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
tommudd wrote:
So why aluminum spacer????


Save weight? :lol: :)

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:17 am 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
OK OK OK Blake so using an aluminum spacer on a KJ will be great...... think of all the weight he will save , wow I feel so stupid for not thinking about that since everything we do to them is weight saving and better mileage.............
....................and .................

now back to our regular programming..................... :roll:

:lol: :lol:
Tom

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:51 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:26 pm
Posts: 1325
Location: Casper, Wyoming
I've heard that it's fairly easy to cut with the laser that he's referring to. And his buddy probably has enough of it lying around his machine in scrap to make them already. :D

_________________
Ron


"There are few problems in life the liberal application of duct tape can't solve."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:53 pm 
Offline
This member has been Banned

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:18 pm
Posts: 2301
Location: Harahan LA (the burbs)
Dje Ryu wrote:
I've heard that it's fairly easy to cut with the laser that he's referring to. And his buddy probably has enough of it lying around his machine in scrap to make them already. :D



correct
I do business with a place that cuts alum. to spec so all I need is the spec


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com