It is currently Sun Oct 04, 2026 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Help.....Trying to install a Rusty's Lift
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:37 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:54 am
Posts: 17
Location: Colorado
Im having problems compressing the spring far enough down to attach the top of the strut...about a half an inch. Has anyone else had this problem? Please advise. :x


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:02 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:54 am
Posts: 17
Location: Colorado
It is like the strut isnt long enough to help accommodate the extra length of the spring!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:03 pm 
Offline
Coal Country Wheelin
Coal Country Wheelin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:17 am
Posts: 945
Location: Goldsboro, NC
I had the exact sam eissue when doing mine. I could not get the strut compressors I had to work for me! So I took them to my neighbor who works for sears and he did them at the shop in the morning for me. No help really but just lettin you know that is what you may have to end up doing if you cant get it yourself.


Mike

_________________
LIBERTY or DEATH

2005 Sport with "STUFF"

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:04 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
The OME shocks are pretty much the same length as the stockers.

You just need to compress it more.

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:42 pm 
Offline
Oilburner
Oilburner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:54 am
Posts: 2788
Location: Barcelona Spain
OME shock is 15 mm (little over half an inch) longer than the stock strut. :D

_________________
Cherokee 2,5 CRD: sold - Wrangler TJ 2.5: gone - Touareg V10 TDI: new toy

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:24 pm 
Offline
JEEPZILLIA
JEEPZILLIA
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:34 pm
Posts: 2358
Location: Orange County: Newburgh NY
kolesy wrote:
I had the exact sam eissue when doing mine. I could not get the strut compressors I had to work for me! So I took them to my neighbor who works for sears and he did them at the shop in the morning for me. No help really but just lettin you know that is what you may have to end up doing if you cant get it yourself.


Mike



SEARS
The EVIL EMPIRE!

I used to work for sears as a field refrigeration tech.
I have nothing but bad things to say about the EVIL EMPIRE. but I don't thing this is the place.
lol

_________________
2003 KJ Sport JEEPZILLA Edition
American Flag flying high
Frankenlift removed =(
Moabs and plenty of pin striping
Flexable people don't get bent out of shape!
Current MPG 6" to a gallon
L.O.S.T. # BL065211
www.ItAtYourHome.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:29 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:25 pm
Posts: 1361
Location: Grafton, Ohio
Are you starting with the compressor in the 3rd. rung of the coil?
If you're still having problems just take them somewhere that does shocks and have them do it.

_________________
Slightly modified Lt. Khaki 3.7 2004 LTD 4X4. Purchased new 8/6/03.
What I don't have....A Mag light mounted to my seat.
Original Old L.O.S.T. #000354

Nick's Pics & Mods click here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/531173
http://www.survivaltopics.com/forums/


Last edited by KJ04 on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:33 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
Its darn close tony. :)

Image

OME 132 shocks:

Image

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:41 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:35 pm
Posts: 50
Location: Birmingham, AL
I had that trouble with mine until I dropped the upper ball joint, that kicked my rear.... hope you get it in :)

_________________
Hella 500s Painted Rims
Rusty's 2.5 inch Lift
General Grabber AT2
cobra cb
custom front and rear light bars
dynomax muffler


Ryan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:27 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:52 pm
Posts: 1184
Location: Atlanta, GA
Get a good strut compresser (I think ours came from Advantage) and place it on the floor between you and a partner. Both of you have a ratchet with the right sized socket -- alternate between the two of you cranking each side down while th other holds it. Should not take more than 15-20 minutes per side if you go slow and are careful.

_________________
Colin
LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4
Steel IFS/DL&DTT/4.10s/Tow Pkg/Mopar-Rusty's-Skid Row skids&sliders/OME struts&springs/Rancho shocks/Terraflex bumpstops/Landy FRH/Gen Steel/Grabber AT2s/Spidertrax/Rockcrusher/Hella/Smittybilt XRC8/Bulldog wiring/NAPA brakes/JBA UCAs&spacers/Deka Intimidator


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:15 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:47 pm
Posts: 61
Location: Allegheny National Forest
I did mine on Wednesday, it took a while with the spring compressors and the air gun, but they went together. Also, the front struts that came with my kit were white... I also used the compressors to pop in the rear springs, no effort at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:16 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:54 am
Posts: 17
Location: Colorado
Lift is finally in. Had a shop compress the struts for me. I still a slight rubbing issue....probably due to the wider wheels. Time to do some trimming i suppose.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com