It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Shock bushings that FIT?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:34 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:22 pm
Posts: 698
Location: Oregon, USA
Hi, all,

After installing a lift with Doetsch Tech shocks in the rear, I got a lot of thumping. I was able to confirm that the urethane bushings and/or the steel sleeves (which are a little too large for the OEM bolts) are the culprits. How? I made my own upper shock bushings using rubber stoppers from the hardware store. Thumps gone. But there's no telling how long those will last.

Does anyone make a relatively soft urethane bushing that has an ID designed to fit snuggly on a 12mm bolt? Or is there another alternative?

_________________
George Reiswig
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
Suncoast, SEGR, lift, InMotion tune, homebrew B100
At 138k, new head & gasket, timing belt, rockers and swearing vocabulary


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:57 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:25 pm
Posts: 1361
Location: Grafton, Ohio
You should have been supplied a few various size steel sleeves. Cut the longest ones down to fit the upper shock mount and torque to 85 ft. lbs.

Haven't had a problem with mine yet, in two years.

_________________
Slightly modified Lt. Khaki 3.7 2004 LTD 4X4. Purchased new 8/6/03.
What I don't have....A Mag light mounted to my seat.
Original Old L.O.S.T. #000354

Nick's Pics & Mods click here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/531173
http://www.survivaltopics.com/forums/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:10 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:04 pm
Posts: 871
Location: Prescott AZ
Yes this has been a long time problem with the DTs on a KJ. The Rancho RSX is the best cure for this problem and I hope others reading this before they buy the DTs will not do the same thing. You might call Quinn at All J Products...They used to sell a kit to fix this problem but most have just moved over to the Ranchos RSX...Believe me the ride is well worth it as well. later...Clint

_________________
http://lostkjwest.com
http://www.azlostkj.com
http://lostzj.com
KE7JLP


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:17 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:23 am
Posts: 2121
Location: Kentucky, USA
I have Ranchos now with my lift....and I've got a lot of thumping. I've been eliminating possible causes all along and just today I came to the conclusion that I have the same problem as you...my bushings aren't the right size for the bolts. If anyone has a cure let me know, otherwise I'm just going to wrap multiple layers of tape around the bolt to take up the slack. :?

_________________

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:49 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:04 pm
Posts: 871
Location: Prescott AZ
LibertyCRD. Just FYI. The Rancho RS 5248 is for a non lifted KJ. You might be topping out your shocks. That could be ome of you noise or you might be beating the bushing to death on a lifted KJ. Hope that helps. later...Clint

_________________
http://lostkjwest.com
http://www.azlostkj.com
http://lostzj.com
KE7JLP


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:45 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:22 pm
Posts: 698
Location: Oregon, USA
skrracing wrote:
Yes this has been a long time problem with the DTs on a KJ. The Rancho RSX is the best cure for this problem and I hope others reading this before they buy the DTs will not do the same thing. You might call Quinn at All J Products...They used to sell a kit to fix this problem but most have just moved over to the Ranchos RSX...Believe me the ride is well worth it as well. later...Clint


Okay, so in theory getting a set of bushings from these Rancho shocks and putting them in the DT shocks would fix this?

_________________
George Reiswig
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
Suncoast, SEGR, lift, InMotion tune, homebrew B100
At 138k, new head & gasket, timing belt, rockers and swearing vocabulary


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:47 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:22 pm
Posts: 698
Location: Oregon, USA
KJ04 wrote:
You should have been supplied a few various size steel sleeves. Cut the longest ones down to fit the upper shock mount and torque to 85 ft. lbs.

Haven't had a problem with mine yet, in two years.


Ah...so those sleeves have a smaller ID? I didn't even bother to check that out. Thanks!

_________________
George Reiswig
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
Suncoast, SEGR, lift, InMotion tune, homebrew B100
At 138k, new head & gasket, timing belt, rockers and swearing vocabulary


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:44 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:23 am
Posts: 2121
Location: Kentucky, USA
skrracing wrote:
LibertyCRD. Just FYI. The Rancho RS 5248 is for a non lifted KJ. You might be topping out your shocks. That could be ome of you noise or you might be beating the bushing to death on a lifted KJ. Hope that helps. later...Clint



The ones everyone sells for lifted KJs are the RSX17004, right? And those are actually listed for a Dodge Durango, correct? Well the ones I got are the RS series that directly cross with the RSX17004. So my shocks are the exact same length and everything as the RSX17004, they are just $15 less per shock.

I assume the bushings would be the same amongst all Ranchos, am I right? So are there any ways to take up the diameter of the bushings on these??

_________________

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:59 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:04 pm
Posts: 871
Location: Prescott AZ
No...not all the sleves are the same. some are metric and some are not. It's not just the sleve length but also the dia as well. Hope that helps. If you go to the Rancho site...The shock you installed on your lifted CRD is for a non lifted KJ. Hope that helps. later...Clint

_________________
http://lostkjwest.com
http://www.azlostkj.com
http://lostzj.com
KE7JLP


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:04 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:23 am
Posts: 2121
Location: Kentucky, USA
Hmm.. Well when I looked up this shock I have, it was listed for the 98-03 Dodge Durango. And I thought that was the length I needed since that's what the RSX17004 is for. :(

Oh well... I guess this is one time I should have forked over the extra $30 for the shocks everybody else was using. Now I have to explore my options and try to find a way to make these bushings fit. Thanks for the tips. If you have any other ideas post 'em. I'm sick of the thumping noise.

_________________

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:27 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:49 am
Posts: 132
I ended up buying some 3/8" NPT pipe, drilling the inside to match the diameter of the shock bolts, and using that as a spacer inside the shocks. The OD of the pipe matches the ID of the shocks perfectly, and thus, I eliminated my kabumpbump.

_________________
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD, Provent CCR, 2.5" lift


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:36 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:23 am
Posts: 2121
Location: Kentucky, USA
That sounds like a great idea. Pardon my ignorance...but what is NPT pipe?

_________________

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:44 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:49 am
Posts: 132
NPT stands for national pipe thread or something similar. Just go to a hardware store and ask for 3/8 pipe...you can get either galvanized or black pipe...either will work.

_________________
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD, Provent CCR, 2.5" lift


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:52 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:23 am
Posts: 2121
Location: Kentucky, USA
Well this is odd... I pulled the Ranchos off today and compared them to my stock shocks. The internal diameter of the Rancho bushings is identical to the ID of the stock bushings. So that cannot be the problem. The only real differences are the width of the bushings...with I corrected by using washers with the Ranchos. So effectively the width shouldn't be the problem either. Other than that the only difference is the sheer thickness of the bushing itself. The stock shocks have more "padding" there with a thicker bushing.

So I put the stock shocks back on and I'm going to drive it like that for a while and see if the noise goes away. That will at least prove whether it is the shocks making the noise or not. If it is the Ranchos...then based on my visual inspection I have no clue why they are making the thumping sound. Everything should be 100% tight with them in there. I guess we shall see....

_________________

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com