It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Where to get a new bare engine block for a Vin 5 Liberty
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:15 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:11 am
Posts: 3
Hi All,

I live in Lusaka, Zambia with my (RHD) Liberty '05 which was manufactured at Toledo North Assembly plant in Ohio, and purchased in the UK.
A couple of days ago, I had a small overheating issue due to a radiator hose that wasn't tightened up after the serpentine belt was changed, this resulted in Jeepy possibly needing a hart transplant. Does anybody know where I can get a new bare engine block (Vin 5: 2.8-LITER, TURBO DIESEL 16 VALVE DOHC, DI-CR) ?

Thanks!
Benjamin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where to get a new bare engine block for a Vin 5 Liberty
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:00 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:43 am
Posts: 4962
Location: Green Cove Springs FL
If you cant find a used engine locally you might have to look somewhere in europe.
VMspecialists is in England and they have a lot of used engine parts. Its where I got my cylinder head from.

Are you sure the problem is the engine block?

_________________
U.S. Army Retired


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where to get a new bare engine block for a Vin 5 Liberty
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:16 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:11 am
Posts: 3
flash7210 wrote:
If you cant find a used engine locally you might have to look somewhere in europe.
VMspecialists is in England and they have a lot of used engine parts. Its where I got my cylinder head from.

Are you sure the problem is the engine block?


Thanks for the reply.
Not yet sure, wednesday we will do a compression and analysis test after which I will know more... At the moment I am just preparing for the worst. :cry:

Cheers,
Benjamin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where to get a new bare engine block for a Vin 5 Liberty
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:49 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 2663
Location: Boise, Idaho
Jeepy wrote:
flash7210 wrote:
If you cant find a used engine locally you might have to look somewhere in europe.
VMspecialists is in England and they have a lot of used engine parts. Its where I got my cylinder head from.

Are you sure the problem is the engine block?


Thanks for the reply.
Not yet sure, wednesday we will do a compression and analysis test after which I will know more... At the moment I am just preparing for the worst. :cry:

Cheers,
Benjamin


Rarely is the block damaged, unless you threw a rod, or just got one of the few junk blocks out there. I've seen the head gaskets blow out violently, and I thought I threw a rod, but it didn't even damage the head, I got it resurfaced, and with a new head gasket, and ARP head studs, that engine is back on the road.

_________________
05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where to get a new bare engine block for a Vin 5 Liberty
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:26 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:11 am
Posts: 3
Hey mm, now that is good news. I was afraid that the Conrad bearing assembly, crank shaft bearings etc needed replacement. So a new block would probably end up the cheaper and better option. But I like your story! Fingers crossed !


Sent from my S50 using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where to get a new bare engine block for a Vin 5 Liberty
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:39 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:51 pm
Posts: 6302
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
I'm about to be replacing the rod bearings on an engine, and that is certainly cheaper than trying to buy an entire new (used) block from somewhere else.

Go for the rebuild, it may be more complex than just swapping the block, but I think you'll be happy with the results.

_________________
Proud supporting vendor of LOST Jeeps
TRAVELING CRD TECH. I come to you!
Need help? Just ask! I've taken it apart more than most.
Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 225 CRDs currently driving with my valves, timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where to get a new bare engine block for a Vin 5 Liberty
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:44 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:29 pm
Posts: 1167
This is just a thought... has anyone considered using the marine version of the R428? They are sold as a Mercury Diesel, and - apparently - they have an iron head on an iron block and use gears to drive the cams.

Has anyone done any work with the marine engine?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where to get a new bare engine block for a Vin 5 Liberty
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:51 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:10 am
Posts: 31
Location: Indianapolis
With no EGR, an iron head, and gear driven timing, what would there be to work on? :lol:

_________________
[Mine] '95 XJ SE | beater status
[Hers] '05 Liberty CRD Limited | tweaked Yeti tune | inline lift pump | more to come...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where to get a new bare engine block for a Vin 5 Liberty
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:16 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:29 pm
Posts: 1167
t0rquey wrote:
With no EGR, an iron head, and gear driven timing, what would there be to work on? :lol:



You need H-E-L-P, t0rquey. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where to get a new bare engine block for a Vin 5 Liberty
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:13 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:10 am
Posts: 31
Location: Indianapolis
TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
You need H-E-L-P, t0rquey. :roll:


Haha. I forgot to mention that stock thermostat SNAFU. I have already started my countdown to tax refund 2017 so I can pick up the sexiest thermo housing known to man.

_________________
[Mine] '95 XJ SE | beater status
[Hers] '05 Liberty CRD Limited | tweaked Yeti tune | inline lift pump | more to come...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where to get a new bare engine block for a Vin 5 Liberty
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:42 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:29 pm
Posts: 1167
t0rquey wrote:
TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
You need H-E-L-P, t0rquey. :roll:


Haha. I forgot to mention that stock thermostat SNAFU. I have already started my countdown to tax refund 2017 so I can pick up the sexiest thermo housing known to man.


CORRECTION: The sexiest thermostat ASSEMBLY known to man... I manufacture and sell a complete, ready-to-install unit... nothing else is necessary to purchase.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com