It is currently Sun Oct 11, 2026 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 2005 Liberty - Blower not working on 2
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:37 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:52 pm
Posts: 31
Location: Seattle, WA
Hey Jeep folks!
I have a 2005 Liberty and the blower only works on 1, 3 & 4. on 2 it does absolutely nothing. Was reading about something that I could maybe replace behind the glove box. Could someone provide more details please? Let me know if you need any further details.

Thanks,
-2005 KJ Owner

_________________
2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6 4X4
Purchased: May 2008
Current Upgrades: Xenon HID's (6000k), Rear Black Altezza Lights, Low Profile Antenna. Sport Utility Rack w/Yakima Ski Rack
Future Upgrades: ARB Bull Bar, A 2.5 lift, Cat Back Exhaust, Cold Air Intake. Double DIN GPS Nav System


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2005 Liberty - Blower not working on 2
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:15 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 7456
Location: Central GA
2005 KJ Owner wrote:
Hey Jeep folks!
I have a 2005 Liberty and the blower only works on 1, 3 & 4. on 2 it does absolutely nothing. Was reading about something that I could maybe replace behind the glove box. Could someone provide more details please? Let me know if you need any further details.
Thanks,
-2005 KJ Owner

Its called a Heater Blower Resistor and yes it is located behind the glove box near the blower motor.
HVAC Heater Blower motor resistor
Part Number: JA1464 (Duralast AutoZone)
OE # 05139719AA; 05066552AA; 05066554AA; 05066553AA
Dorman 973-025
Standard Motor Products RU-352

It is a common part that fits many Mopar vehicles and is available at most parts stores... :wink:
This UTube video does a good job of showing you how to replace the resistor in a Jeep Liberty! :D >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeVJP9hy5fA

Image

_________________
Supporting Vendor and Moderator of LOST
05 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Ironman Springs/Bilstein/Shocks
Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2005 Liberty - Blower not working on 2
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:06 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:52 pm
Posts: 31
Location: Seattle, WA
WWDiesel,
Thanks for the reply and video link (Looks easy)! For $16.99 definitely does NOT hurt the wallet. Based on what I've said do you think that this is a good place to start?

Thanks,
-2005_KJ_Owner

_________________
2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6 4X4
Purchased: May 2008
Current Upgrades: Xenon HID's (6000k), Rear Black Altezza Lights, Low Profile Antenna. Sport Utility Rack w/Yakima Ski Rack
Future Upgrades: ARB Bull Bar, A 2.5 lift, Cat Back Exhaust, Cold Air Intake. Double DIN GPS Nav System


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2005 Liberty - Blower not working on 2
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:58 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 7456
Location: Central GA
2005 KJ Owner wrote:
WWDiesel,
Thanks for the reply and video link (Looks easy)! For $16.99 definitely does NOT hurt the wallet. Based on what I've said do you think that this is a good place to start?

Thanks,
-2005_KJ_Owner

Absolutely!!!! I will be real surprised if it does not fix your problem.... :roll:

_________________
Supporting Vendor and Moderator of LOST
05 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Ironman Springs/Bilstein/Shocks
Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2005 Liberty - Blower not working on 2
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:01 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:18 pm
Posts: 222
Location: Harshaw, WI
It wouldn't hurt to replace the resistor. However in my experience stepped resistors for things such as fan control fail so you have high speed or off. Nothing in between. I'm thinking your problem is elsewhere.

_________________
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited
-Timing belt
-Weeks 1 and 2 EGR delete kits


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2005 Liberty - Blower not working on 2
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:57 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:13 am
Posts: 183
Location: Presque Isle, Maine
Twice I've replaced them. In both cases one out of 4 settings went, then another, then everything but hi.

_________________
Ironman HD springs, Bilsteins, MLL's, Mopar skids 245 75 16 Treadwright Claw's.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2005 Liberty - Blower not working on 2
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:16 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 7456
Location: Central GA
All blower speeds except HI go through the resistor. Hi speed bypasses the resistor and puts 12 volts straight to the blower motor....
And yes, you can lose one of the lower speeds without losing the others when a circuit in the resistor fails... :wink:

_________________
Supporting Vendor and Moderator of LOST
05 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Ironman Springs/Bilstein/Shocks
Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2005 Liberty - Blower not working on 2
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:01 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:14 pm
Posts: 4
WWDiesel wrote:
And yes, you can lose one of the lower speeds without losing the others when a circuit in the resistor fails... :wink:


Definitely! We only had the first one not working for example. The rest worked fine.

I went with the Duralast JA1464 so if it fails again they should replace it for free under the warranty.

Scott

_________________
2002 Jeep Liberty Limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2005 Liberty - Blower not working on 2
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:35 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:52 pm
Posts: 31
Location: Seattle, WA
**UPDATE**
I bought and tried a new blower motor resistor and got it installed. No dice......same thing, number 2 still doesn't work while all others do. :(

I'm starting to think that HER_CRD may be correct in this case.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
-2005 KJ Owner

_________________
2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6 4X4
Purchased: May 2008
Current Upgrades: Xenon HID's (6000k), Rear Black Altezza Lights, Low Profile Antenna. Sport Utility Rack w/Yakima Ski Rack
Future Upgrades: ARB Bull Bar, A 2.5 lift, Cat Back Exhaust, Cold Air Intake. Double DIN GPS Nav System


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2005 Liberty - Blower not working on 2
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:57 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 7456
Location: Central GA
2005 KJ Owner wrote:
**UPDATE**
I bought and tried a new blower motor resistor and got it installed. No dice......same thing, number 2 still doesn't work while all others do. :(

I'm starting to think that HER_CRD may be correct in this case.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
-2005 KJ Owner

Time for a volt meter diagnosis to see just where the failure is at!
Next most likely part that can fail is the rotary blower speed selector switch, but without a proper diagnosis with a voltmeter, an accurate prognosis is just a best guess... :roll:

_________________
Supporting Vendor and Moderator of LOST
05 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Ironman Springs/Bilstein/Shocks
Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2005 Liberty - Blower not working on 2
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:58 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:52 pm
Posts: 31
Location: Seattle, WA
WWDiesel,
Thanks for your help. You had said earlier "I will be real surprised if it does not fix your problem". So, when I installed it that night and seen it didn't work I was disappointed and left the part in over night. The next morning I was ready to re-install the old part back into my Jeep with my intention to return the new part back to the Auto Parts Store. From my work bench I picked up what I thought was the old part from my Jeep and thought to myself for an old part this looks new (hmmmm). From my Jeep I removed the installed part out (Which looked used), after looking at them I knew exactly what I did. I then installed the "New" looking part and once put all back together, it tested good! I had the blower on all 4 settings and they all tested good.

So in short, yeah I pulled a dummy/novice move here. *Sigh* :oops:

I'm set and this part fixed me up! Thanks for dealing with my naivety here.

Thanks,
2005 KJ Owner

_________________
2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6 4X4
Purchased: May 2008
Current Upgrades: Xenon HID's (6000k), Rear Black Altezza Lights, Low Profile Antenna. Sport Utility Rack w/Yakima Ski Rack
Future Upgrades: ARB Bull Bar, A 2.5 lift, Cat Back Exhaust, Cold Air Intake. Double DIN GPS Nav System


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2005 Liberty - Blower not working on 2
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:06 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 7456
Location: Central GA
Heck we all make mistakes! To err is human!
Very glad I was able to help and it turned out to be the correct diagnosis! :wink:
Advise: Next time, throw the old part in the trash before opening the box with the new replacement part... :ROTFL:

_________________
Supporting Vendor and Moderator of LOST
05 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Ironman Springs/Bilstein/Shocks
Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com