It is currently Sun Oct 11, 2026 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Resurfacing flywheels
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:52 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:49 pm
Posts: 64
Location: Shrewsbury, MA
My wife's KJ has ~155K miles on it now and she's been complaining of a funny smell lately. I finally got a small whiff of it and it's clutch, so I'm getting things together for this repair. The clutch kits out there (like at rockauto.com) seem decently priced and complete, but I just realized that the 3.7 uses a dual mass flywheel, which from my understanding cannot be reliably resurfaced. Is this true, and what are my options at this point? Simply scuff up the existing flywheel and hope all is well? Replace with a single mass flywheel? Buy another dual mass one? Or trust my local automotive machine shop to take the time to set up the dual mass and have them resurface anyways (they have a great reputation)?

If anyone has had their OEM flywheel resurfaced, please chime in! Thanks.

_________________
'04 Sport, 3.7, NV3550, NP231, OME and 215/85's
no ABS/TCS/ESP/CIA/FBI/DEA/UFO/MYOFB...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Resurfacing flywheels
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:10 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:49 pm
Posts: 64
Location: Shrewsbury, MA
Hmmm...might've gotten wrong info...it looks like dual mass flywheels started in 2005; my 2004 should use a standard flywheel with a sprung clutch disk...can anyone confirm?

_________________
'04 Sport, 3.7, NV3550, NP231, OME and 215/85's
no ABS/TCS/ESP/CIA/FBI/DEA/UFO/MYOFB...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Resurfacing flywheels
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:39 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
It doesn't matter what flywheel you may or may not have in your KJ you can not machine any of them.

There not machined flat from the factory and unless your machine shop can machine the exact same concave shape you will have issues within 5000 miles.

Replace,replace,replace.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Resurfacing flywheels
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:26 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:27 pm
Posts: 110
Before eliminating resurfacing take to machine shop. Have machinist tell if feasible. It might get too thin and throw off engagement. Save a few $ if possible. Even rockauto is 350 for flywheel and says dual mass. New has new springs or what they use inside.

_________________
Now have GDE full torque eco tune and eco transmission tune. Used an 02 liberty trans computer for my new trans tune.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Resurfacing flywheels
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:34 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:10 pm
Posts: 232
Location: Ct.
Well - on my 04 new flywheels were not available, I purchased a used one with no wear just in case i needed one but when I replaced the clutch I checked the old one which was just fine - scuffed it per the service manual.

I will add that both flywheels (03 - 04) are flat as a pancake.

PS. Rockauto has alot of wrong cheap parts that didn't work for me, Went with a mopar replacement clutch.

_________________
2004 sport 3.7
OME coil lift.
Clevis lift.
Mopar skids.
5-speed manual.
235 70 17 Firestone destination AT'S on stock rims.
Gen 4.5 a-arms


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Resurfacing flywheels
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:55 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
adamkrz wrote:
Well - on my 04 new flywheels were not available, I purchased a used one with no wear just in case i needed one but when I replaced the clutch I checked the old one which was just fine - scuffed it per the service manual.

I will add that both flywheels (03 - 04) are flat as a pancake.

PS. Rockauto has alot of wrong cheap parts that didn't work for me, Went with a mopar replacement clutch.

They look flat but are not when measured with with a micrometer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Resurfacing flywheels
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:58 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:03 am
Posts: 535
Location: NJ
tjkj2002 wrote:
adamkrz wrote:
Well - on my 04 new flywheels were not available, I purchased a used one with no wear just in case i needed one but when I replaced the clutch I checked the old one which was just fine - scuffed it per the service manual.

I will add that both flywheels (03 - 04) are flat as a pancake.

PS. Rockauto has alot of wrong cheap parts that didn't work for me, Went with a mopar replacement clutch.

They look flat but are not when measured with with a micrometer.



What is the purpose of having them concave? To insure a more even contact/pressure distribution under load?

_________________
L.O.S.T. #31000

'03 KJ Freedom Edition - 4" JBA Coilover Lift w/ 32" Cooper STT PROs
'98 XJ Sport - 6" Full-Traction 4-Link Long Arm - Jeepspeed #2731 (Race Jeep)

DobermanRacing.com - Team Driver
Sponsored by UltRanger & CellTech


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Resurfacing flywheels
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:20 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
Myke wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
adamkrz wrote:
Well - on my 04 new flywheels were not available, I purchased a used one with no wear just in case i needed one but when I replaced the clutch I checked the old one which was just fine - scuffed it per the service manual.

I will add that both flywheels (03 - 04) are flat as a pancake.

PS. Rockauto has alot of wrong cheap parts that didn't work for me, Went with a mopar replacement clutch.

They look flat but are not when measured with with a micrometer.



What is the purpose of having them concave? To insure a more even contact/pressure distribution under load?

Clutch chatter.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com