It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Door removal
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:26 pm 
LOST Member

I'm curious, has any one removed the doors on their kk? I'm wondering how hard it would be to make them more like the wrangler styled doors hat detach.

SkyJacker shocks
General Grabber AT2 tires 245/75/R16
6x E3.48 Dimond fire spark plugs

Post subject: Re: Door removal
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:53 pm 
LOST Member

It's four nuts and a wire harness. Can't get much easier than that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:41 am 
LOST Member

I'm not super technically proficient, so my next question would be if there's a way to fabricate something to allow the doors to be opened, then lifted off and maybe a sort of wire conection area or something to allow the wires to be disconnected and reckonected.

SkyJacker shocks

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

why the f_ _ _ would you take the doors off a KK ? just buy a Wrangler if you wanna do that. Just cuz its a jeep doesnt mean you should remove the doors???????????????? :banghead:

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:24 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

libr8ed wrote:
why the f_ _ _ would you take the doors off a KK ? just buy a Wrangler if you wanna do that. Just cuz its a jeep doesnt mean you should remove the doors???????????????? :banghead:

What i like about this forum is how everyone is respectful. Lets keep it that way. Gren, wheeling your KK without the doors is probably a bad idea because of the unibody. You run the risk of twisting up the unibody without them.

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:19 pm 
LOST Member

gren71 wrote:
I'm not super technically proficient, so my next question would be if there's a way to fabricate something to allow the doors to be opened, then lifted off and maybe a sort of wire conection area or something to allow the wires to be disconnected and reckonected.

The wire harness already exists. Once you get the hang of it, the KK harness can be easier to disconnect than a JK harness. Pop the harness out of the door and disconnect the two ends.

There are four nuts that hold the hinge to the door. Roll down your window and have a friend hold the door (depending on how strong you are). remove the nuts from bottom to top and pull the door away from the hinge. To replace the door put it back on the hinges and install the top nut first, working your way to the bottom. Be sure to follow that sequence or you'll mess up the adjustment of the door.

It doesn't get any easier than that. :)

Atthehelm wrote:
Gren, wheeling your KK without the doors is probably a bad idea because of the unibody. You run the risk of twisting up the unibody without them.

Not so much, Atthehelm. At least on a KK. Both the KJ and the KK have solid side panels. The A post, rocker, B Post, and 1/4 panel are all one piece. It's called a side aperture. This makes it much stronger than unibodies of the past. Also, the inner rockers and upper sides where the roof meets the apetures (darn can't remember the name of them) are hardened on the KKs (forgot the name of treatment they go through. darn old age...) If you wanted to drill the inner rockers of upper side rails on a KK it takes a fresh carbide bit and some spare time. They are strong as hell. These areas were beefed up on the KK to stiffing them for the sky slider. Doesn't matter if it has a slider or not.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:33 pm 

Perhaps i spoke (or typed) too soon :oops: . It sounds like you are way more learned in the structure of the liberty than i am. Being in Toledo you have probably seen these things built first hand.

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:51 pm 
LOST Member

Atthehelm wrote:
Being in Toledo you have probably seen these things built first hand.

Maybe a couple. :)

I was there for the launch of the KJ. I worked out of the bodyshop doing final panel fits on the finished vehicles for 7 years. Hoods, door, fenders, etc were all adjusted in my area. We also did bodywork and any body repairs.

I've worked at jeep for 27 years.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:50 am 
LOST Member

Thanks for all the info! And the defense haha not against some one poking me and saying " uh, your dumb" it happens when I dream up weird things to do to my jeep. Bit to answer the question, wranglers are to expensive and not as family oriented.

I don't think I'll end up taking the doors off but it was just sort of a dream of mine to cruse around with the doors off. :)

SkyJacker shocks

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

you should remove them. if i can take all my KJ doors off then you can remove your KK doors
i did a write up on how to remove jeep liberty doors on here (for a KJ) it shouldnt be much different for a KK

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:48 am 
LOST Member

Pollo trust me I haven lost sigh of this desire yet :) I'm just focused o. Getting my skids and some new tires.

SkyJacker shocks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

So, i dont know whether or not i'm the first person to actually do it; but i took the doors (the front ones at least) of my KK. took me and my buddy around 30 minutes and i gotta say, it's really quite awesome! ArcherAce is right too. 4 nuts and a really lenient wiring harness. it's so easy!
Here's a picture

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:25 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Liberty2294 wrote:
So, i dont know whether or not i'm the first person to actually do it; but i took the doors (the front ones at least) of my KK. took me and my buddy around 30 minutes and i gotta say, it's really quite awesome! ArcherAce is right too. 4 nuts and a really lenient wiring harness. it's so easy!
Here's a picture

I like your grille but it seems a little something might be missing
There's a group buy if you're interested but I'll be sending it in next week.
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=72526

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:44 am 
LOST Newbie

Ted15 wrote:
Liberty2294 wrote:
Here's a picture

I like your grille but it seems a little something might be missing
There's a group buy if you're interested but I'll be sending it in next week.
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=72526

I actually like it that way but thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just a thought. The timing would've been pretty good if you wanted to go that way.

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:52 am 
LOST Newbie

Ted15 wrote:
Just a thought. The timing would've been pretty good if you wanted to go that way.

I'm gonna tint the turn signal lenses though so it should look real nice and get a 3.5" rock krawler lift on 31's! Can't wait :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Liberty2294 wrote:
Ted15 wrote:

I'm gonna tint the turn signal lenses though so it should look real nice and get a 3.5" rock krawler lift on 31's! Can't wait :JEEPIN:

Are you going to try 31x10.5-15 or 31x9.5-15? Pro Comp series 51 with 3 3/4" backspace will fit. I tested every 15" rim that Summit Racing had in stock and that was the only one that would clear the lower ball joint bolt.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:43 am 
LOST Newbie

Ted15 wrote:
Liberty2294 wrote:
Ted15 wrote:

Are you going to try 31x10.5-15 or 31x9.5-15? Pro Comp series 51 with 3 3/4" backspace will fit. I tested every 15" rim that Summit Racing had in stock and that was the only one that would clear the lower ball joint bolt.

I was thinking to stick with the stock 17" rims I got and put 265/70r17 ATs with a 1.5 inch spacers I figured the backspace should be good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:11 am 
LOST Addict

Liberty2294 wrote:
Here's a picture

:shock: Is that snow on the ground? Power to ya for doing it in the winter. A few of the XJ guys around here(my friend being 1 of them) take their doors off but that's only in the summer.

Have you put them back on yet? Any alignment issues? My friend stopped taking his rear doors off his XJ just because it was too much of a pain to get them to sit straight again. Now he only does it if he is going to have people in the back all summer.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:27 am 
LOST Newbie

Bmxer524 wrote:
Liberty2294 wrote:
Here's a picture

:shock: Is that snow on the ground? Power to ya for doing it in the winter. A few of the XJ guys around here(my friend being 1 of them) take their doors off but that's only in the summer.

Have you put them back on yet? Any alignment issues? My friend stopped taking his rear doors off his XJ just because it was too much of a pain to get them to sit straight again. Now he only does it if he is going to have people in the back all summer.

Haha yeah that's snow. we took them off and then after a ten munute drive realized how bad of a decision we made haha! it was freezing. I did it mostly just to see how easily that would come off for the summer. But yes, I did put them back on. It was really easy too. I just made sure to label each of the nuts on the door and then make sure they are put on in the correct order. But after that no alignment issues