It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: B&G Flash
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ok, so i'm ready to take the plunge with the B&G flash. I know KYLiberty has covered this a lot of this in previous threads, but here's an average guy's perspective.

While i guess I could use my current PCM, i wanted to pick up a second one so that i a)didn't lose my jeep for a little while and b)could throw the factory programmed PCM back in if the KJ went in for service. I've read others bought new PCMs, but i went the used PCM from a junkyard route because i found one for a fraction of the price of new. The thread i started a while back has more details on that.

Took the PCM to the dealership for programming. They swapped the second one in, programmed it and charged me for 1 hour worth of labor. The junkyard PCM is currently in my KJ and its working the same as the original.

Called B&G this morning with some questions. I have the Mopar dual outlet exhaust and a K&N FIPK, but plan on doing more mods. They confirmed that i don't need updates as i do more modifications...which fits right in with KYLiberty's advice to do the flash first. While i want better performance, i'm also concerned with gas mileage. The KJ is my daily driver (often over 100 miles/day) and i didn't want to sacrifice too much gas mileage for power. B&G claims that a flash should actually increase fuel mileage some...good news, hopefully something i'll be able to verify down the road. Along the same lines, i asked them about the black soot some of us see on the tips of our exhaust. They told me they lean the fuel mixture out some, which should help with that.

They asked me to give them a call first before i send in the PCM...which i will be doing this afternoon or tomorrow. Basic stuff, return address, payment info, VIN number, etc. Ship to them on my dime, they cover the return shipping. They told me turn around time is two days from when they receive it, so hopefully i'll get it back by the end of next week for a weekend install.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Reserved for post install

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:01 am 
LOST Member

Boi1ermaker:
I got a second PCM too, and I tried to send B&G e-mail, but I got no reply, do I have to call them? Do you have any contact person that can reply to my e-mails? :evil:
I have too many questions to ask, before sending the PCM.

Moper Cool Air Intake (Done)
FastMan Throttle Body (Done)
PCM Flash (Done)
Ring and Pinion (Done)
Shift Kit (Done)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
do I have to call them? Do you have any contact person that can reply to my e-mails?

I didn't email them at any point so i don't have a good contact by email. I tried email with APS but got a much better response when I talked to Wayne in person, some companies are just better to work with over the phone. I would definitely call them, especially since you are overseas. They may not be allowed to do foreign PCMs; but if they are able to reprogram it, i'm guessing their shipping policies and/or cost to get it back to you is different. I know the time difference will make a phone call a pain, but for what it's worth i called them twice on Thursday and both times a person picked up (no automated garbage).

btw, this is the info i gave them during my second call, the one that i actually placed the order during:
Make, model, year and engine type
VIN #
Part number for PCM...not the original tho, they wanted the number stuck on there after software updates
I also gave them my credit card info, but they said they would not charge it until they received the PCM from me
They asked that i put a note with my return address in the box...i also included all the information above on this note, minus my credit card number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Where are you all getting the spare PCM's?

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:11 am 
LOST Member

Boi1ermaker:
Can you please do me a favor next time you call them if they are doing the flash for the Europe models, if possible?
Here are the details:
MOTOROLA S/N: 03A1400RYYTC
MODULE P/N: P56044196AE
MODULE S/N: TEM3372RYYTC
HFBKAD
56044 / 196AE
SEQUENCE # 662390

Thanks in both cases :P

Jeepjeepster:
I got mine from the junkyard, there was one wracked Liberty I asked the guy for it and he asked for $250, but I took it $180.

PCM Flash (Done)
Ring and Pinion (Done)
Shift Kit (Done)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Where are you all getting the spare PCM's?

Junkyards are a good source, but I found mine on ebay. Jeepster, check your pms

Quote:
Can you please do me a favor next time you call them if they are doing the flash for the Europe models, if possible?

I'll probably end up on the phone with them again at some point, and if i do i will ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:27 pm 
LOST Member

Boi1ermaker,
thanks appreciate your help :)

PCM Flash (Done)
Ring and Pinion (Done)
Shift Kit (Done)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:40 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just and update, PCM in the hands of UPS and arriving today or tomorrow. Will be installing it over the weekend. In the mean time, i've been riding around w/ my scangauge taking some baseline numbers.

SS-Virus,
They will do export PCMs; gave them your P/N and they can program it. You're going to have to call them to make arraignments tho, i'm sure its not every day they send stuff overseas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:52 am 
LOST Member

Boi1ermaker:
Thanks for the infos, and congratulations for the new mods. :D
I'll call them tonight, and see.

Thanks again

PCM Flash (Done)
Ring and Pinion (Done)
Shift Kit (Done)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:03 am 
LOST Member

Boi1ermaker:
Did you install the PCM yet?
I also sent mine last week, 8) and I should receive it today or tomorrow, but I want to know if there is any deference between the stock & the programmed, before I install it on the Libby.

PCM Flash (Done)
Ring and Pinion (Done)
Shift Kit (Done)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:39 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I put it in about two weeks ago, and it seems like the more aggressive your driving style, the happier you will be with it. Off the line, my KJ is definitely much quicker when i put my foot to the floor. The rev limit has been raised, and it gets to 5k rpm very quickly. Driving conservatively, like i do most of the time, there is a little more kick than before off the line, but not much. Fuel mileage hasn't changed much, if anything its slightly better. Which is saying something since it's tempting to floor it around every person who pulls out just in front of me and then goes slow.

For the average person looking for a little more performance, i don't think this is the mod for them because of the cost. If you need every single ounce of performance from your KJ regardless of price, his is something you need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:33 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for the reply,
So you mean there is (some) improvement in power, for me I think I’ll get more power, because I already have headers, Borla Exhaust & Mopar intake.
BTW, I try contacting APS for the Torque Converter, but nobody is answering, did you tried to contact them? I was trying last week with no luck, I’ll keep calling them.

Thanks Again

PCM Flash (Done)
Ring and Pinion (Done)
Shift Kit (Done)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
BTW, I try contacting APS for the Torque Converter, but nobody is answering, did you tried to contact them?

I had to call them to place an order for a shift kit, but that was months ago. Haven't needed to speak with them since. Wayne is a good guy, when you finally do get a hold of him, he'll do everything he can to get you what you need.

The flash makes a difference, it makes a bigger difference as the KJ is pushed harder. Except for the headers, we have basically the same modifications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:07 am 
LOST Member

You know, I already have the shift kit long time ago, and didn't find the time to put it in,
Are you planning to get the TC too? If yes, let us do the same in ours :lol:
I'll call them tomorow, the problem is I don't know the timing. :shock:

PCM Flash (Done)
Ring and Pinion (Done)
Shift Kit (Done)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Are you planning to get the TC too?

Not anytime soon. Between the part and labor to put it in, its too expensive to justify right now. Unless i come across a really good deal on something, the last of the mods is going to be a fastman throttle body. I have plenty of other cheap little projects i've been meaning to do, like repadding my seats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

so... getting the B&G flash is worth the money? does it feel like your driving a 4.7L or sumthin? also, this flash will work for my grand cherokee right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
this flash will work for my grand cherokee right?

I'd be surprised if B&G couldn't do something for you. I spoke to them directly when i placed the order; they collect information on the vehicle and its a good time to ask them specific questions.

Quote:
does it feel like your driving a 4.7L or sumthin?

Never been in a GC w/ a 4.7, so i honestly can't say. Thought KYLiberty once posted that KJ felt more powerful than a GC. But then again he's put a lot more into his KJ then i have.

Quote:
so... getting the B&G flash is worth the money?

Like i said in one of my other posts, it all depends on what you are looking for. If you like to push your jeep, then its worth the investment. If you just want to have a little extra for passing a slowpoke once in a while, $430+ might seem a little steep.

SS Virus, did you ever dyno your jeep so you can do a before and after? Having some objective numbers would be more meaningful than my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:47 pm 
LOST Addict

The B&G flash will help you out with performance, but it's greatest value is that it gets rid of the torque management. The stock computer limits the power even when completely stock. I've run the 3.7 KJ on a dyno with the stock ECU, a Jet stage 1, and a B&G aggressive flash. With the same nitrous and fuel settings, it made 214 rwhp with the stock ECU, 201 rwhp with the Jet stage 1, and 251 rwhp with the B&G flash. That was running a little rich, and before the current motor, shift kit, machined heads, throttle body, and intake modifications.

As for power, mine scares my Mom who drives a 2003 GC 4.7. :twisted:

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Last edited by KY Liberty on Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:44 am 
LOST Newbie

As for power, mine scares my Mom who drives a 2003 GC 4.7. :twisted:[/quote]

haha.. thats awsome man. this flash seems to be the answer iv been looking for in terms of adding horsepower for the mean time, is it also super or turbo charged ready? i havent read any thing about the Lag or an increase in acceleration? im hoping this flash will also improve these problems.