It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Disconnecting EGR caused heavier fuel consumption ...
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm in a flat spin today :(
Before I changed anything on the CRD, I got 8,5 Km/L (20 MPG) with city driving, and 11.3Km/L (26.58MPG) on the highway (driving constant 120km/h (74.5MPH) for a constant 300km..
Then I disconnected the EGR system a while ago ...
All of a sudden my city driving went down to 7,8km/l (19MPG) ... AT FIRST I thought maybe it was because I was driving a bit more ...uhmmm "aggresive" with my last tank .....but then came today ....
I did the same 300km drive, at a constant 120km/h (74.5MPH), and this time I could see it on the highway drive as well!! ... it came down from 11.3Km/L (26.58MPG) to only 9.5km/L (22.3MPG) !! :(
This is a HUGE shock! What could be the problem????? I thought disconnecting the EGR should give me AT LEAST the same MPG if not more ??
Could it be that the ECU is set to optimized economy, and now that I've disconnected the EGR, the system get the wrong readings and causes the fuel consumption to go hay-wire???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:42 pm 
LOST Addict

Give it at least two more weeks before connecting the vacuum operated EGR again. My economy didn't improve before two weeks had passed.

Are you sure you disconnected the right vacuum line? Take a photo of your install please.

DIESEL - saving millions of liters of petrol every day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:58 pm 
LOST Addict

Did you unplug the ECM when you did this? Maybe you need to so it relearns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:20 am 
LOST Newbie

Uffe ...I unplugged both the vacuum lines ....same lines you did on those photos of yours .... I'm almost getting the feeling that the EGR is stuck open now, instead of closed? I'll investigate a bit further and let you know ...
If the car is idling, and I want to test the EGR valve .... when the EGR is opened, should the car's idling go up a bit or down?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:05 am 
LOST Addict

Sonix wrote:
Uffe ...I unplugged both the vacuum lines ....same lines you did on those photos of yours .... I'm almost getting the feeling that the EGR is stuck open now, instead of closed? I'll investigate a bit further and let you know ...
If the car is idling, and I want to test the EGR valve .... when the EGR is opened, should the car's idling go up a bit or down?

Oh trust me you will know when the EGR is stuck open. If the EGR is stuck open the rpm will jitter around 800 and not be stable at 800. The engine sound is like shaking a box of rocks in a metal container...

Get those pictures taken!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:44 am 
LOST Newbie

Interesting ...I did the following a few minutes ago ....
I let the car idle ..... then I took the little hose going to the EGR valve, and sucked on it to create a vacuum to open the EGR .... nothing happened ...the idling stayed normal ... whether I create enough vacuum to open the EGR vavle, by sucking on the little hose, I dunno ... but so far it looks like it has NO effect on the idling ... I'm starting to wonder now whether the previous owner might allready have done something to disable the EGR? ... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:50 am 
LOST Addict

Sonix wrote:
Interesting ...I did the following a few minutes ago ....
I let the car idle ..... then I took the little hose going to the EGR valve, and sucked on it to create a vacuum to open the EGR .... nothing happened ...the idling stayed normal ... whether I create enough vacuum to open the EGR vavle, by sucking on the little hose, I dunno ... but so far it looks like it has NO effect on the idling ... I'm starting to wonder now whether the previous owner might allready have done something to disable the EGR? ... :?

I'm not sure you can suck hard enough for it to open, but you can just connect it directly to the vacuum supply from the engine (hose 2 on the modulator) THEN it should open completely. And you should definately heard a very distinct change in engine sound.

If you want to connect them, find a small straw which can connect the two vacuum hoses. If you do so make sure you disconnect the vacuum hose and re-connect them together withouth the engine running. Don't let the engine suck vacuum out of thin air because the air flow can cause pressurizing of the crankcase and it will spill oil out of the CCV.