It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Portable Fridge/freezer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:02 am 
LOST Member

Anyone carry a fridge onboard?
I'd like to get one for the kj, but I want it to sit below the security blind in the rear.
Any reccomendations?

I like the engel MT17F, but is this too small to be really useful?

What about the latest ARB Fridge? Anyone have one?

Light-Force 170's
3.7 Petrol / Auto
Sun Roof
Tow Pack,Scan GuageII
Reversing Camera
(pretty much stock, really)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:05 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Lots of great reviews on fridges on the Expedition Portal forum plus quite a few of us LOST members as well. There is one out that seems to do a good job in the 400 dollar range cools quickly, stays cold knock off of the Engels/ARBs etc check out EdgeStar freezer at www.compactappliance.com

If you can't log on let me know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don't know if you have Walmarts down under, but here's a 40 qt cooler
you can plug into your cig lighter.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... ductDetail

Previous: 95ZJ 92XJ 90XJ 80CJ5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:15 pm 

Those are pretty much useless, he's wanting one that is more like a real fridge, the one mentioned above will take warm beer and have it nice and cold in 20 minutes or less, can even freeze things in them :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:26 pm 
LOST Junkie

I have the Engle MT45. It'd be too tall to fit under the security cover. With out laying down/ removing one of the seats, the only way to store it would be sideways in the cargo area. That'd take up pretty much the whole thing though.

later, mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tan's2002kjlimited wrote:
I don't know if you have Walmarts down under, but here's a 40 qt cooler
you can plug into your cig lighter.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... ductDetail

I dont think this is what your looking for, however we use one of these coleman for camping etc. I love it, usually we plug it into the house outlet the night before we go so its prechilled because it does take awhile to cool down. But it works great and no ice to mess with also hides nicely under back shade! 8)

Lost#095309
KJ-Lifted, skidded,31's,MT sidebiters
TJ- 33's 4" lift
ZJ-4"on 33's-SOLD
YJ-New toy-Bone stock!
PA JEEPS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:54 am 
LOST Junkie

A word of warning fellows if you do intend to use a 12V cooler in your vehicle remember not to leave it plugged in fo extended periods. A friend of mine ran his battery down on the trail during a stop because of his cooler. He had cold beer but no way to get home :lol:

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I was looking at this. Not sure how good it is but you can use propane once you get to the campsite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:23 am 

Thats kind of like the Colemans except it uses propane, only cools -20 to 30 degrees below what the outside temp is. If its 90 outside then it will cool to 60-70 maybe
They work well if you keep them in a air condidtioned vehicle though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
Thats kind of like the Colemans except it uses propane, only cools -20 to 30 degrees below what the outside temp is. If its 90 outside then it will cool to 60-70 maybe
They work well if you keep them in a air condidtioned vehicle though

Well, to be fair, it's actually talking about deg Celsius not Fahrenheit. 90 degrees Celsius would be almost enough to boil water. :shock: So if its 24 deg Celsius outside (slightly warmer than room temperature) then it will cool to 4 deg Celsius (just above freezing). It usually doesn't get much hotter than that where I live so it might not be too bad for here.

Post subject: Re: Portable Fridge/freezer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

I searched and searched about for a a good portable fridge and found there are many options. I ended up buying an Engel MT45 based solely on price with a group buy and i do like the idea that you can buy a new section to increase its size. If i did not get the MT45 group buy price i was set on getting the Waeco CF-50. Below I list the units i was looking to buy which were all around the 45-50qt range. Some have sizes larger and smaller which you should be able to find within the links below.

1) Cheapo 12v (pleteir type) cooler with no mechanical parts which is found at many stores and online. This is a cheap way to help keep already cooled products stay cooler longer without ice. These will in no way take room temp items and bring then down to fridge (35F) OR freezer (0F) temps. They are also not very good for long trips if you have items such as meat or chicken which can spoil quickly if not maintained at the right temp.

2) Compressor type refrigerator (actual motor compressor and working fluid) which runs just like your fridge at home. This obviously is more expensive, but you can freeze with these. They are very good for longer trips and can work off solar panels if properly sized. There are even more options within this category and many things to consider when purchasing one of these units.
cost
size
weight
power consumption (important on longer trips to preserve battery life or to connect to solar panels)
12v only or AC/DC (nice when getting ready for a trip to plug it into 120 vac).

Here is what my take is on each brand and also links

Edgstar - cheapest, heaviest, most power consumption
http://www.edgestar.com/products/fridgefreeze/fp430.asp
http://www.compactappliance.com/FP430-C ... el_Coolers

Whynter (looks to be same as edgestar in cost, weight, and power consumption)
http://whynter.com/RF_Product19.htm
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index. ... ail&p=1048

Waeco/Dometic (mid priced, lightest, low power consumption, nicest feature = battery guard which shuts off if batt goes to low, but i have heard some people find it cuts power below the min required to start a car)
http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas/US ... taid=85492
http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Dometi ... _p_84.html

Engel (Most expensive, mid weight, most proven design, longest warranty, most accessories, lowest power consumption)
http://www.engel-usa.com/
http://www.coolerstores.com/12-volt-coo ... 8-prd1.htm

2006 Liberty CRD
2006 Rubicon Unlimited (redrubi) - Sold :(
2000 Cherokee - soon to be gone
2005 KTM 950

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have an ARB 40Q jobber. It works great, and if you want it will freeze vodka.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:48 am 
LOST Addict

I used the coleman on my entire trip through Baja... the thermometer inside stayed at about 40F... worked great and it only cost us $70 :BANANA:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:12 am 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

durangotang wrote:
I used the coleman on my entire trip through Baja... the thermometer inside stayed at about 40F... worked great and it only cost us $70 :BANANA:

I used one of these one summer living on a sailboat in the Puget Sound. It kept meat and milk cold, and even froze (not solid) lunchmeat on several occasions. The temp got down to 45 at night, so that helped some.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:45 am 
LOST Newbie

If you are in London, PriceInspector.co.uk gives you the latest deals on portable fridge freezers. You can have one at the cheapest prices. I have bought one last month and I am happy about it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

We have two Coleman 12V coolers. As mentioned above, they do a good job of keeping things cool. We bought them because we live in the remote parts of New Mexico and typically do our grocery shopping in Albuquerque which is a two hour drive one-way. We use the Coleman coolers to keep ice-cream, meat and other items cold during our long travels.

Our camper travel trailer has a built-in refrigerator and freezer. It runs off electricity when hooked up to 110 volt. Without electricity, it runs off propane. I really like propane as it allows for boondocking.

When we build our home, I’m thinking about buying a household propane refrigerator and freezer. I don’t know if I would be totally of the grid, but I like the idea that I can survive without the need for electricity.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

I leave my Engel MT45 in the back of the liberty on all the time. Works great. When in baja, I move it to my pickup. I've had it for...hmm, many years, lets say 5 or 6 and its been great.

87 Suzuki Samurai - VW 1.6NA Diesel, SPOA
12 Toyota Prius V

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:31 am 
LOST Addict

I have and edgestar and I have left it plugged up in the KJ many times all while I slept and it didn't even touch my battery. Even when it was 80+ outside at night. When we went to KY last October me and the girlfriend slept next to it to use the heat off the running fan. And I did the same in Moab when the temperature would drop off at night. But never had and issue with it draining my battery. Just plugged it up the night before I left and ran it on my battery but it is heavy as heck and large enough to fit a small child in but more then capable of freezing just about anything and with the fast freeze function it can drop 40 degrees in 30 mins.