It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 25  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's (Declassified) Off-Road Bumpers and Rock Slide
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:15 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:41 am
Posts: 296
longer and it would be very cool and how long be for you would have one for a kj 02 would love to have one .

_________________
Brian thanks and thanks to Tom I see you changed it...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Bumper Stinger Q&A?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:17 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5824
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
MtnLuvr wrote:
Anyone else have any comments on stingers?


Here’s my opinion. 99.9% of the buyers will not use the stinger for what it’s true purpose is; however, if people request the stinger for “curb appeal”, then I would offer it as an option. A more “user friendly” option is to incorporate a grill guard in which people can protect their headlights, grill, and other front-end parts. :2cents:

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's (Declassified) Off-Road Bumpers and Rock Slide
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:26 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:22 am
Posts: 2
Location: Placerville, CA
I am excited about these parts! I am a new owner of a 2009 KK! I have read this entire forum and know that you are not giving prices yet so I will just wait patiently :juggle:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Bumper Stinger Q&A?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:50 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:13 pm
Posts: 258
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
dieselenthusiast wrote:
MtnLuvr wrote:
Anyone else have any comments on stingers?


Here’s my opinion. 99.9% of the buyers will not use the stinger for what it’s true purpose is; however, if people request the stinger for “curb appeal”, then I would offer it as an option. A more “user friendly” option is to incorporate a grill guard in which people can protect their headlights, grill, and other front-end parts. :2cents:


Just a caveat onto that. I would love to have a front bumper assembly that has the option to remove a grill guard/headlight protector and what not. For instance we use them on the hummers over here. Just pull the pin and you can drop them to raise the hood, or take them completely off. I doubt this is something that others might be interested in though.

I suppose that getting a decent front bumper would be the biggie, and I could probably fab the grill guard myself.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's (Declassified) Off-Road Bumpers and Rock Slide
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:55 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:02 pm
Posts: 133
Location: Fort Wayne Indiana
nice designs... and so what if the rails look liek someone elses... there are only so many ways to do a solution for a problem efficiently.

_________________
Geek by birth not by choice!!
Black 06 Special edition.
Mechanica Wheels, Graphite Fenders and Bumpers, Hooked, Armored, Get Bent bumper, Winched
MY Jeeps Webpage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's (Declassified) Off-Road Bumpers and Rock Slide
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:52 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:38 am
Posts: 1593
Location: Muncie Indiana
First I've seen of this thread. Nice work!

Make sure you price these things at an amount that will make it worth it for you. Many headaches can arise: shipping / shippers, parts out of spec, material price changes, taxes, liability, etc.

As for the pricing game, if I were to make those, with my waterjet costs in steel, I'm guessing:

1k front (not including piaa lights)
900 rear
400 sliders

keep it up. Can't wait to see where this goes.

As for originality: if you can get products to people inside of two months after payment, THAT will be original enough for most people....

_________________
2005 KJ Renegade
Fabrications for sale: Aluminum Roof Rack (See Page 9)
Aluminum Gas Tank Skid -- Radiator Skid -- Front Strut Shims
Coming Soon: Rear Bumpers with lots of options


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's (Declassified) Off-Road Bumpers and Rock Slide
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:59 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:02 pm
Posts: 133
Location: Fort Wayne Indiana
Boiler wrote:
As for originality: if you can get products to people inside of two months after payment, THAT will be original enough for most people....


there is that too.

_________________
Geek by birth not by choice!!
Black 06 Special edition.
Mechanica Wheels, Graphite Fenders and Bumpers, Hooked, Armored, Get Bent bumper, Winched
MY Jeeps Webpage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's (Declassified) Off-Road Bumpers and Rock Slide
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:54 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:08 pm
Posts: 1070
Location: Michigan
:-)r


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's (Declassified) Off-Road Bumpers and Rock Slide
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:55 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:23 am
Posts: 851
Location: Southern California
yea, id love a stinger too. :mrgreen:

_________________
Libby - 08 Black Liberty Sport 4x4, Selec-Trac II, 3.0" Franken Lift, 245/75/R16 Goodyear DuraTrac's

Cookie Monster - 04 Silver TJ Rubicon, 5.5" Rock Krawler, 1.25" Body Lift, 35" Goodyear MTR's


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's (Declassified) Off-Road Bumpers and Rock Slide
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:04 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:02 pm
Posts: 133
Location: Fort Wayne Indiana
were adding a stinger to mine after tax season some time.. late spring.

_________________
Geek by birth not by choice!!
Black 06 Special edition.
Mechanica Wheels, Graphite Fenders and Bumpers, Hooked, Armored, Get Bent bumper, Winched
MY Jeeps Webpage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's (Declassified) Off-Road Bumpers and Rock Slide
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:24 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:11 pm
Posts: 1013
Location: Kansas City Area
evil libby wrote:
longer and it would be very cool and how long be for you would have one for a kj 02 would love to have one .
Thanks evil, but I have to finish developing my off-road armoring for my KK and the KK enthusiasts before I can think about anything else.


dieselenthusiast wrote:
MtnLuvr wrote:
Anyone else have any comments on stingers?
Here’s my opinion. 99.9% of the buyers will not use the stinger for what it’s true purpose is; however, if people request the stinger for “curb appeal”, then I would offer it as an option....
Thanks and I tend to agree.
dieselenthusiast wrote:
...A more “user friendly” option is to incorporate a grill guard in which people can protect their headlights, grill, and other front-end parts. :2cents:
:twisted: Look for my post a little later.......


Liberty_KI6WXC wrote:
I am excited about these parts! I am a new owner of a 2009 KK! I have read this entire forum and know that you are not giving prices yet so I will just wait patiently :juggle:
Thanks for the encouragement. Probably no one is as anxious to be done as I am since I've been without the use of my KK for coming on 7 months. I'm ready to get it back and have some awesome off-road armoring and then to be able to have my armoring reproduced in batches so other KK enthusiasts can so-equip their KK if they want. Thanks for your patience and welcome to LOST.


Pierocksmysocks wrote:
....Just a caveat onto that. I would love to have a front bumper assembly that has the option to remove a grill guard/headlight protector and what not. For instance we use them on the hummers over here. Just pull the pin and you can drop them to raise the hood, or take them completely off. I doubt this is something that others might be interested in though.

I suppose that getting a decent front bumper would be the biggie, and I could probably fab the grill guard myself.
Pie, no "caveat" needed, I thought I mentioned in my original front bumper post on page 1 of this thread, that part of what I've designed into my front bumper design is the ability to personalize via options such as multiple Grille Guard Hoop options, multiple lower radiator and power steering cooler skid options, compact winch control box mounting, etc. My bolt-on Grille Guard Hoop options won't be "hummer-easy" with a pull pin to lower them, but they are bolted on and thus removable are able to be added when desired. You're not the only one who wants options, I personally can't decide if I want the basic Grille Guard Hoop or a full width Brush Guard, so I want to be able to change it out whenever I want (and maybe as a function of where I'm going wheeling :JEEPIN: ). Look for my post later with a little update on my bolt-on basic Grille Guard Hoop.


GeekyJeep wrote:
nice designs... and so what if the rails look liek someone elses... there are only so many ways to do a solution for a problem efficiently.
Thanks.


Boiler wrote:
First I've seen of this thread. Nice work!

Make sure you price these things at an amount that will make it worth it for you. Many headaches can arise: shipping / shippers, parts out of spec, material price changes, taxes, liability, etc.....keep it up. Can't wait to see where this goes....
Thanks. I know you know the pain and hassles I've been going through. Fortunately (?), my early career prepared me for all the hassles. Now, if I could only figure out something to do about having more time...................


GeekyJeep wrote:
Boiler wrote:
As for originality: if you can get products to people inside of two months after payment, THAT will be original enough for most people....
there is that too.
Although there are some additional challenges not being someone building these out in their own garage or shop, one of the benefits of my plan is that I'll be having my KK bumpers and rock sliders made in batches by professional custom fabricators. To get some benefit from economies of scale, I'll need to have them made in batches. Thus, the benefit to everyone else who wants to buy my KK armoring is that my sell price is based upon my costs so I won't be selling anything until units are made. Thus, we won't be taking anyone's money until we know we've got KK products to ship. So, no one should have to wait multiple months or years to get the aftermarket products they've paid for.


DoubleK wrote:
yea, id love a stinger too. :mrgreen:
Gotcha.



Thank you all for your patience, support and encouragement.

_________________
2009 KK Limited 4x4
Jeep Green/partially dechromed/Sunroof/OEM Skids/
Gray Leather/uConnect GPS-Nav/DVD Head Rests/
MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Coming: :twisted: :JEEPIN:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Bumper - 01/16/2011 update
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:55 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:11 pm
Posts: 1013
Location: Kansas City Area
Ok, now for a little update from this past weekend. Since the welder tech at the street rod fabrication shop I'm (now) working with was going on vacation this week, I repossessed the KK last Friday to bring it home for some review, testing, mock-ups and design fine-tuning. The front bumper in these photos is actually the second one fully made from 100% pre-made parts. Although full-welded, none of the welds have been dressed as they obviously will in my final prototypes as well as in the final products made for me by other fab shops in batches.

Although not the actual hi-lift jack point, I did a little testing by lifting up the front corner of my KK with my hi-lift jack at the very outside end of the front bumper.
Image


Then, I decided to (yet again :dizzy: ), bolt everything in place, including some recently made parts. This included assessing options for front license plate mounting. Front license plates aren't required in Kansas where I live, but I know they are in many other states and sometimes people want a front license plate of some sort even when not an offical and required one. So, an off-the-shelf option would be to use one of the license plate brackets like the below that clips to a roller fairlead:
Image

But if you didn't want such a flat brick-face wall at the front of your KK, I designed my front bumper to accomodate mounting a license plate aerodynamically and aesthetically integrated, while not impacting approach angles:
Image
You'll see more of it in my next post on my basic Grille Guard Hoop .........

_________________
2009 KK Limited 4x4
Jeep Green/partially dechromed/Sunroof/OEM Skids/
Gray Leather/uConnect GPS-Nav/DVD Head Rests/
MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Coming: :twisted: :JEEPIN:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Bumper - 01/16/2011 update
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:26 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:23 am
Posts: 851
Location: Southern California
MtnLuvr wrote:
Ok, now for a little update from this past weekend. Since the welder tech at the street rod fabrication shop I'm (now) working with was going on vacation this week, I repossessed the KK last Friday to bring it home for some review, testing, mock-ups and design fine-tuning. The front bumper in these photos is actually the second one fully made from 100% pre-made parts. Although full-welded, none of the welds have been dressed as they obviously will in my final prototypes as well as in the final products made for me by other fab shops in batches.

Although not the actual hi-lift jack point, I did a little testing by lifting up the front corner of my KK with my hi-lift jack at the very outside end of the front bumper.
Image


Then, I decided to (yet again :dizzy: ), bolt everything in place, including some recently made parts. This included assessing options for front license plate mounting. Front license plates aren't required in Kansas where I live, but I know they are in many other states and sometimes people want a front license plate of some sort even when not an offical and required one. So, an off-the-shelf option would be to use one of the license plate brackets like the below that clips to a roller fairlead:
Image

But if you didn't want such a flat brick-face wall at the front of your KK, I designed my front bumper to accomodate mounting a license plate aerodynamically and aesthetically integrated, while not impacting approach angles:
Image
You'll see more of it in my next post on my basic Grille Guard Hoop .........



I'm really liking how this is coming along. I'm getting more and more interested. Thanks for keeping us updated! :BANANA:

_________________
Libby - 08 Black Liberty Sport 4x4, Selec-Trac II, 3.0" Franken Lift, 245/75/R16 Goodyear DuraTrac's

Cookie Monster - 04 Silver TJ Rubicon, 5.5" Rock Krawler, 1.25" Body Lift, 35" Goodyear MTR's


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's (Declassified) Off-Road Bumpers and Rock Slide
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:40 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:28 am
Posts: 10686
Location: Some where in Colorado
JEEP PORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


:BANANA: :pepper: :BANANA: :pepper:

_________________
2008 KK Liberty Sport NIGHT OPS EDITION + GILLS
OEM & Custom Skids - Factory Tow Package - Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
Prototype JBA 4 Inch Lift - JBA UCA's - Flowmaster Super 44 OR - Whacked Resonator
Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Bumper - basic Grille Guard Hoo
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:41 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:11 pm
Posts: 1013
Location: Kansas City Area
As you should know if you've been following my thread, I've designed my KK off-road front winch bumper to be either as-is or to accomodate 3 different bolt-on front end protection options (basic Grille Guard Hoop, full-width Brush Guard and forward-leaning Stinger Hoop). Last week I picked up the couple formed tubing options I had formed for my basic Grille Guard Hoop option and then test fit and selected the below:

Image
Image
Accessing and opening the KK's hood is no problem. The only problem is that with the Grille Guard Hoop there, you keep wanting to grab it when leaning into or out of or down below the Jeep. This won't be an issue in the final product when the hoop is welded to its mounted brackets (that are each secured by 3 bolts), but for me this past weekend, it created some amusing moments for my dad and I as one of us would repeatedly pull or lean on the hoop and since it was only sitting there, it would give way. :ROTFL:

I wanted to insure the basic Grille Guard Hoop didn't interfere with the driver's line of sight when wheeling:
Image
Really, it's all there in front of the grille, you just can't see any of it from the KK's driver's seat (although you can see how cluttered my garage workbench gets when working on my Jeep :lol: ).

Besides looking cool and offering additional protection for the front-end of your Jeep, what's a Grille Guard without the option to add additional off-road lights? So, I took my PIAA round-tube mounting brackets (I had from when they used to be mounted up on my OEM tube bar) and played around with visual spacing with a couple 6" 130W long-range KC HiLites (121)....

Mounted off the horizontal of the Grille Guard Hoop:
Image
I've seen a lot of Jeeps with off-road lights mounted here even though it blocks some radiator exposure.

So, I played around with mounting them up in the "corners" of the Grille Guard Hoop off the sides of the hoop:
Image
Image
After playing around, I think I'll put light tabs on the sides to match the above and a couple on the horizontal top. When lights are mounted on the horiztonal, the tabs on the side can be used to secure the wire loom going to the lights.

I was pleased with how this worked out. I'm waiting on some feedback from my tubing bender guy before I finalize layout of the additions to the basic Grille Guard Hoop to turn it into a full-width Brush Guard to extend out and protect the front headlights. I'm also needing some input from him as I laid out a couple options for the Stinger Hoop. One would be much easier to implement but is more complex of a tubing bend while the other is easier tubing bends but more complex of a weldment and would require more pieces and be more expensive. I'm hoping in a couple weeks to post something showing test-fit of Stinger Hoop.

_________________
2009 KK Limited 4x4
Jeep Green/partially dechromed/Sunroof/OEM Skids/
Gray Leather/uConnect GPS-Nav/DVD Head Rests/
MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Coming: :twisted: :JEEPIN:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's (Declassified) Off-Road Bumpers and Rock Slide
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:58 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:23 am
Posts: 851
Location: Southern California
Diggerfreek wrote:
JEEP PORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


:BANANA: :pepper: :BANANA: :pepper:



^like

_________________
Libby - 08 Black Liberty Sport 4x4, Selec-Trac II, 3.0" Franken Lift, 245/75/R16 Goodyear DuraTrac's

Cookie Monster - 04 Silver TJ Rubicon, 5.5" Rock Krawler, 1.25" Body Lift, 35" Goodyear MTR's


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's (Declassified) Off-Road Bumpers and Rock Slide
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:24 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5824
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
Diggerfreek wrote:
JEEP PORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


:BANANA: :pepper: :BANANA: :pepper:


If this gets out of hand, we may need to censor some of these posts. Image

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's (Declassified) Off-Road Bumpers and Rock Slide
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:32 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:28 am
Posts: 10686
Location: Some where in Colorado
Image



Image


:-)r :-)r :-)r

_________________
2008 KK Liberty Sport NIGHT OPS EDITION + GILLS
OEM & Custom Skids - Factory Tow Package - Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
Prototype JBA 4 Inch Lift - JBA UCA's - Flowmaster Super 44 OR - Whacked Resonator
Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's (Declassified) Off-Road Bumpers and Rock Slide
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:59 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:54 am
Posts: 2079
Location: Bethpage, NY
great progress... I can't wait to get one :twisted:

_________________
08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's (Declassified) Off-Road Bumpers and Rock Slide
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:21 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:38 am
Posts: 1593
Location: Muncie Indiana
MtnLuvr wrote:
Although there are some additional challenges not being someone building these out in their own garage or shop, one of the benefits of my plan is that I'll be having my KK bumpers and rock sliders made in batches by professional custom fabricators.


This is why you're smarter than me. Having them made to spec gives you time to design and sell. Instead of bringing in a fabrication partner, I should have probably just paid his money to my waterjet guy and had them welded right after cutting, and been done with it. It is pretty difficult finding the time to build them when you both have day jobs and 2nd jobs.

_________________
2005 KJ Renegade
Fabrications for sale: Aluminum Roof Rack (See Page 9)
Aluminum Gas Tank Skid -- Radiator Skid -- Front Strut Shims
Coming Soon: Rear Bumpers with lots of options


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 25  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com