Ok thanks, ill check that stuff out. Pretty sure i did shake the yolk this past weekend and it was solid. My first thought on this was the u-joint so i would have grabbed the yolk as well.
Ill check the fluid sunday i guess while i replace the axle bearing. Measure the axle shaft where the bearing sits because it will be worn and smaller diameter from the bearing freezing and spinning on the shaft instead of the races spinning?
To get the axle out I just have to pop the c-clip in the diff and then unbolt at the wheel end and pull out right?
Autozone has Timkins
http://tinyurl.com/c8pald
I should prob replace the seal while in there too right? Its only a couple bucks.
As far as your maintenance comment goes, i have to respectfully disagree. While I am no freak about doing things exactly on time I dont feel the schedule or activities I do are negligent by any means. Over the past few weeks ive had the timing chain go (1), discovered either a bad steering rack or rack bushings (2), and now this bearing issue(3).
1. Ive always changed the oil since ive had it at 3-4k miles with mobile 1 except this last time where i went about 6-6500 miles. Prob not the cause of a failed chain.
2. The steering gear or bushings could be the cause of the curb i had to jump last winter to aviod getting t-boned by an old lady who didnt see her stop sign. PS fluid has been done twice during my time.
3. Changed the diff fluid twice since I have owned (45K miles) with mobile 1.
I think the KJ is just testing my metal and willingness to to own it. If I can make it through this maybe ill be rewarded with 100,000 more trouble free miles before it acts up again.