It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Skid Plate Recommendations
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:08 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:58 am
Posts: 820
Location: Ohio
I think I'm going to tackle the project of making myself some temporary Skid Plates for the Libby (possibly permanent, depending on how well I do), and I was wondering what gauge steel everyone recommends. Obv. since these may be temporary I am going for the best protection I can get with as little money as possible.

Seeing as I live in the midwest, there aren't exactly a whole lot of places to go ROCK crawling, most of the wheeling I do is in the MUD.

So with that in mind, I need some skids that can take moderate abuse on a budget. What does everyone recommend for thickness of steel, reinforcements, etc.

_________________
L.O.S.T.# AM091337
2006 Voodoo Edition
EVIC
Franken/Jacked
265/75 Duratracs
Skid Row Skids
RED LED Overheads and Footwells
Custom TJ Bumper
4x 100w Hellas on rack
Nokya Hi-Watt headlight bulbs
Blacked Stockers
Thrush Welded muffler
K&N Filter
Custom Boiler Rack

Soon:More Lights, ARB/Winch


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:37 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:38 am
Posts: 1593
Location: Muncie Indiana
If you're looking for quick and dirty protection, you're going to spend probably at least half of what the mopar ones are in material, and then you have to make them work & not tear up your rig.

If cost and minimal protection are the main concerns, its hard to beat the mopars IMO. You can definitely do better, but not for the $.

I'd be using 1/8 or 3/16 steel backed by tubing or angle, or formed for rigidity. You're easily going to spend $150 I'd think, and you still have to figure out how to turn a stack of metal into skid plates :D

Oh, and then they have to work and not damage your rig. I'd start asking around for left over mopar skids from other members if I was you.

_________________
2005 KJ Renegade
Fabrications for sale: Aluminum Roof Rack (See Page 9)
Aluminum Gas Tank Skid -- Radiator Skid -- Front Strut Shims
Coming Soon: Rear Bumpers with lots of options


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:25 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 3880
Location: Wichita/ Pittsburg, Kansas
I used 3/16" for my trans skid with 1/8" angle for bracing, but I would recommend 3/16" for all the skid plates plus some bracing.

_________________
1980 Jeep CJ7 Buggy
SOA, D44/ FF14B, SBC 350, SM465, NP205, 108" WB, 37" MTs

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:46 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:58 am
Posts: 820
Location: Ohio
I seem to remember the stock skids on my explorer being much thinner than 3/16ths, I noticed that they weren't 'terribly' sturdy, but they werent flimsy either, i hit a large rock off road at low speed and put a pretty good sized dent in it, but it seemed to keep the roots and pebbles etc out of my CVs and Stuff.

When I say thinner, Im talking 14ish ga. sheet metal, not plate steel...

I knew right away they were to keep mud/sand/snow/small rocks away from the drivetrain...

so I was thinking of making LIGHT DUTY skids.

Remember, I'm not stopping bullets here, just tree roots and small chunks of dirt.

_________________
L.O.S.T.# AM091337
2006 Voodoo Edition
EVIC
Franken/Jacked
265/75 Duratracs
Skid Row Skids
RED LED Overheads and Footwells
Custom TJ Bumper
4x 100w Hellas on rack
Nokya Hi-Watt headlight bulbs
Blacked Stockers
Thrush Welded muffler
K&N Filter
Custom Boiler Rack

Soon:More Lights, ARB/Winch


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:53 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
Mopar skids are not the toughest out there but they are resonable and if you go anywhere at all you need at least them, not sure where you drive but I have had to run over ladders, munice transmissions and other crap like that out on the highways, so any thing worth doing is worth doing right, not light weight :lol:

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:59 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
Skids and mud don't mix well,the skids will hold alot of mud and there goes your seals and joints real fast,not to mention taking out electrical components and shift cables.Unless you plan on removing them often and cleaning real good I wouldn't bother with skids for just playing in the mud since they will do more damage then not having them in the long run.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:12 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:38 am
Posts: 1593
Location: Muncie Indiana
tommudd wrote:
so any thing worth doing is worth doing right, not light weight :lol:


Tom you're killing me. :wink: Light weight is good! I think you meant not flimsy.

Lets face it, a beefy skid or bumper is nice, but if you add up heavy sliders, skids, bumpers, racks, cargo racks, etc, you can easily add 4-500 pounds or more to your ride. That is a major tax on your power, brake response, fuel efficiency, etc. I mean we're talking 10% of the vehicle weight, or more.

Andy: Whatever you do, don't spend much money, you might wish you still had it real soon 8)

_________________
2005 KJ Renegade
Fabrications for sale: Aluminum Roof Rack (See Page 9)
Aluminum Gas Tank Skid -- Radiator Skid -- Front Strut Shims
Coming Soon: Rear Bumpers with lots of options


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:04 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:58 am
Posts: 820
Location: Ohio
Sooooo,

Not having skids (even mopar skids) is better than ramming a stick through your CV, or driveshaft because then I won't have to clean mud off of them?



:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry, had to say it

Basically what I'm getting from this is that I am better off getting Mopar skids, or waiting for Boiler Skids...

What does the Rev. think is necessary for wheeling in the Greater Ohio Area?

Badlands?

I am already getting an Front Engine skid from TBJ, I need TC and Tranny.

Fuel Tank is optional insurance correct?

_________________
L.O.S.T.# AM091337
2006 Voodoo Edition
EVIC
Franken/Jacked
265/75 Duratracs
Skid Row Skids
RED LED Overheads and Footwells
Custom TJ Bumper
4x 100w Hellas on rack
Nokya Hi-Watt headlight bulbs
Blacked Stockers
Thrush Welded muffler
K&N Filter
Custom Boiler Rack

Soon:More Lights, ARB/Winch


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:14 am 
In Ohio and outlying states you need as much armor as you do anywhere else in the world.

If you do not believe it look at ThunderbirdJunkie's, meh_kicks's, and any other KJ that you will see this coming Saturday.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:46 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
I would if I were you just get the Mopar skids and be done with it, even mud in Ohio has some rocks here and there, going off road you have small tree limbs etc wanting to attack you and punch holes in your hanging down parts :oops: ...of your KJ :shock: :wink:
Much better to have something than nothing.

Now if its a mud pit just sit up for that purpose then maybe no skids , but like I said I have ran over ladders on the turn pike before and the skids did their thing

and no I would not run aluminum skidplates



trying to start an argument here :wink:

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:53 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:38 am
Posts: 1593
Location: Muncie Indiana
:roll:

_________________
2005 KJ Renegade
Fabrications for sale: Aluminum Roof Rack (See Page 9)
Aluminum Gas Tank Skid -- Radiator Skid -- Front Strut Shims
Coming Soon: Rear Bumpers with lots of options


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com