It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

Where should I run my antenna/coax
antenna in rear, coax through rear gate/window 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
antenna in rear, coax through hole in roof rack/into roof 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
antenna in front, coax through pass. side door 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
antenna in front, coax through hole in roof rack/into roof 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
antenna in front, coax strung inconspicuously along underside of rack/through rear glass/gate 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
other combo of above options, explain. 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 8
Author Message
 Post subject: Best place to run coax for a CB antenna? bonus poll
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:29 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:58 am
Posts: 820
Location: Ohio
Pretty self explanatory, I'm going to be running my Antenna on the roof, can mount in either the front or the back.

What is the best way to run the coax without a leak? I'm not necessarily against drilling a hole, but I'm not sure where I would do it so that it would be out of the way.


Last minute thought In case Boiler reads this, I might be able to drill a hole in one of the uprights on my rack and run it out of the foot like my roof lights will be...

but supposing something happens and I want to take the CB out, I'd rather not drill a hole unless it isnt worth the effort to try and run it somewhere else.

_________________
L.O.S.T.# AM091337
2006 Voodoo Edition
EVIC
Franken/Jacked
265/75 Duratracs
Skid Row Skids
RED LED Overheads and Footwells
Custom TJ Bumper
4x 100w Hellas on rack
Nokya Hi-Watt headlight bulbs
Blacked Stockers
Thrush Welded muffler
K&N Filter
Custom Boiler Rack

Soon:More Lights, ARB/Winch


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:37 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:06 am
Posts: 166
Location: Melbourne Australia
Get a Nudge Bar or ARB bumper and mount the aerial on the bumper, run the coax through the engine bay
and through the firewall. Works for me. You can also keep an eye on the aerial when in close encounters of the green kind !!

_________________
07 Cherokee/Liberty Limited 4x4
CRDStu 2.5" Lift, JBA's 4.5 UCA's
ARB Winch Bar, WARN XD9000 Winch
Light-Force 170's
3.7 Petrol / Auto
Sun Roof
Tow Pack,Scan GuageII
Reversing Camera
(pretty much stock, really)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:39 am 
Offline
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3970
Location: Phoenix, AZ
it seems you want it on your roof, so run it through the rack to the rear window at the top then run it through the car...i did mine on the rear gate above the right brake light and then through the back but, its your set up, id go with running it through the rack, then rear window

_________________
Steve
2018 RAM 1500 Rebel
2003 KJ
Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:54 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:29 am
Posts: 5956
Location: Hillsborough, NC / Corolla NC
Here's how i ran mine through the back glass, the RTV you see is old rtv from the first coax i had, i just put in new firering coax so had to reseal it and all

it doesn't leak!

i just took wirecutters and cut a V into the weatherstripping, made sure to pull out the adjacent wire supporting that's in the stripping, just grab them and pull, they're about the length of long staples

run your coax, get it all hooked up, then press the stripping back on the lip, put on a glove and gob rtv on your finger and get to spreading

i went about 3 inches either side of the coax with the rtv on the back side of the stripping got it on good, then shut the window and let it cure

Image

my antenna is on a homemade crossrail on my roof

_________________
03 Renegade (Black)
177k miles 3.7L gas - 45RFE
Command Trac / 4.10s
Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:04 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:58 am
Posts: 820
Location: Ohio
dirt pig wrote:
Get a Nudge Bar or ARB bumper and mount the aerial on the bumper, run the coax through the engine bay
and through the firewall. Works for me. You can also keep an eye on the aerial when in close encounters of the green kind !!



ARB is coming at a later date, but the Whip will get better reception on the roof until I get my snowshoes...

Then i might mount it on the ARB, Originally I was going to run Two antennae, one mounted near each brake light, but that isn't quite 4' apart, which is the minimum recommended spacing for big ears.

_________________
L.O.S.T.# AM091337
2006 Voodoo Edition
EVIC
Franken/Jacked
265/75 Duratracs
Skid Row Skids
RED LED Overheads and Footwells
Custom TJ Bumper
4x 100w Hellas on rack
Nokya Hi-Watt headlight bulbs
Blacked Stockers
Thrush Welded muffler
K&N Filter
Custom Boiler Rack

Soon:More Lights, ARB/Winch


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:07 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:29 am
Posts: 5956
Location: Hillsborough, NC / Corolla NC
in my experience anyway.. duals are trash without a decent ground plane and they won't have a decent ground plane mounted to the tail

you'd get a somewhat conical radiation to the rear and almost nothing to the front

_________________
03 Renegade (Black)
177k miles 3.7L gas - 45RFE
Command Trac / 4.10s
Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:14 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 5334
Location: Biggest Little City
I like my location best.

Image

Then you can run your radio and CB from the same antenna. I get great reception and output as well. Works exactly as I hoped.

_________________
My Jeep Build ----> Big Black
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:07 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:58 am
Posts: 820
Location: Ohio
I heard running it there can cause some chatter from the radio. also, can you run your radio and CB simultaneously?

How much did that cost, and what all was involved for the install, as far as materials/work. Or if you happen to have a write up, that would be sweet.

_________________
L.O.S.T.# AM091337
2006 Voodoo Edition
EVIC
Franken/Jacked
265/75 Duratracs
Skid Row Skids
RED LED Overheads and Footwells
Custom TJ Bumper
4x 100w Hellas on rack
Nokya Hi-Watt headlight bulbs
Blacked Stockers
Thrush Welded muffler
K&N Filter
Custom Boiler Rack

Soon:More Lights, ARB/Winch


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:40 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 5334
Location: Biggest Little City
VoodooMann wrote:
I heard running it there can cause some chatter from the radio. also, can you run your radio and CB simultaneously?

How much did that cost, and what all was involved for the install, as far as materials/work. Or if you happen to have a write up, that would be sweet.


I went off an existing write up that someone on here did. I get zero noise or interference from anything when I use it. The only difference from my setup to the one I based mine on is they used the stock radio antenna mount and I went for the beefier ball mount. The antenna is a 3' Firestik $?, the mount is a standard radioshack ball mount $15, the AM/FM/CB splitter is $15 as well IIRC, and I had the coax already. You can run them simultaneously because of the splitter box, but I don't believe I ever have run them together because when I use my CB my radio is always off. As far as install goes, it was super easy. The only real work was making the stock antenna hole a little bigger for the ball mount to run through and avoid contact with the jeep body. I don't have a write up but I can answer any questions you might come across.

_________________
My Jeep Build ----> Big Black
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:55 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:58 am
Posts: 820
Location: Ohio
So you used a standard ball mount and made the hole through the fender slightly larger, correct?

How does the old assembly come off?

I'm sure It is self explanatory, but I haven't looked at it yet.

Also, what are you using as a ground plane, and how much coax did you run?

_________________
L.O.S.T.# AM091337
2006 Voodoo Edition
EVIC
Franken/Jacked
265/75 Duratracs
Skid Row Skids
RED LED Overheads and Footwells
Custom TJ Bumper
4x 100w Hellas on rack
Nokya Hi-Watt headlight bulbs
Blacked Stockers
Thrush Welded muffler
K&N Filter
Custom Boiler Rack

Soon:More Lights, ARB/Winch


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:33 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 5334
Location: Biggest Little City
VoodooMann wrote:
So you used a standard ball mount and made the hole through the fender slightly larger, correct?

How does the old assembly come off?

I'm sure It is self explanatory, but I haven't looked at it yet.

Also, what are you using as a ground plane, and how much coax did you run?


The wires run up inside the inner fender and out the hole to the ball mount, and attach to the mount. The mount comes with parts for grounding. Super simple. I grounded the CB to my driver's side door, by the fuse box. The mount attaches by a large locking washer on the inside of the fender and a large nut that runs over a large bolt that acts as the ground IIRC. That all comes with the mount when you buy it. I hope that answers your question. If not, ask again maybe I can get it right. :wink:

_________________
My Jeep Build ----> Big Black
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:58 pm 
Offline
I live here
I live here
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:59 pm
Posts: 5839
Location: Aurora, CO
VoodooMann wrote:
I heard running it there can cause some chatter from the radio. also, can you run your radio and CB simultaneously?

How much did that cost, and what all was involved for the install, as far as materials/work. Or if you happen to have a write up, that would be sweet.


AdamisAdam was the first to do this, then I did it with a better upgrade and it looked better.

Why do you want to run a radio and cb at the same time? I have a hard enough time doing hard trails, listening to my spotter (and the backseat spotters- ha!) to listen to both. But, yes, you can run both. I have no reception issues with either one and no crosstalk...etc....etc....etc.

Look for my full writeup on this. I did mine back in early 2005 (February or March, I think).

_________________
===
New KJ Gear - Desert Armor Flak

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:04 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 5334
Location: Biggest Little City
Tokyojoe wrote:
VoodooMann wrote:
I heard running it there can cause some chatter from the radio. also, can you run your radio and CB simultaneously?

How much did that cost, and what all was involved for the install, as far as materials/work. Or if you happen to have a write up, that would be sweet.


AdamisAdam was the first to do this, then I did it with a better upgrade and it looked better.

Why do you want to run a radio and cb at the same time? I have a hard enough time doing hard trails, listening to my spotter (and the backseat spotters- ha!) to listen to both. But, yes, you can run both. I have no reception issues with either one and no crosstalk...etc....etc....etc.

Look for my full writeup on this. I did mine back in early 2005 (February or March, I think).

Thank you. I couldn't remember who it was that I went off of. I also agree about running them at the same time.

_________________
My Jeep Build ----> Big Black
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com