It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: pics of a failed LBJ
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:51 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:31 am
Posts: 1979
Location: Lower NY
Managed to snap a few pics of a KJ that was in my dlr's lot with an obviously failed LBJ.
Had to be stealthy so couldn't get too many of the underneath (kinda obvious trying to get under there!)
Image
Image
Image
:shock: :cry: :x :shock: :cry: :x
And why aren't we involved in a class action suit?!? :?: :evil:

_________________
My pics!!
'03 Rennie w/all Tupperware
Custom Roof Basket
Mopar Tubular Brush Guard
Garmin GPS V & Laptop w/Nav software
RAM products laptop mount
Maglite w/mount
Rear cargo bay tool cabinet
AllJs Rear Shelf
Rear receiver
250k miles!
LOST #CR051230


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:50 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:27 pm
Posts: 228
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Ouch... well glad it wasn't you. It's too bad you had no way of contacting the owner to make sure he/she can fill out an LBJ failure complaint with the NTSB. I actually saw one with the passenger side shot one time when I was at the dealer in Manhattan, KS getting some warranty work done. As soon as I saw that I told the service guy to check my LBJ's. I'm keeping my fingers crossed until I can afford a set of new A-arms and LBJ's.

_________________
04 Sport - SOLD
Factory skids, All J's Super Skid II, Rock Lizard Skink Sliders, Frankenlift, 245/70R16 BFG AT's on Cragar Soft 8's, Cobra 75 CB

'04 TJ Sport - Solar Yellow, D44, stock for now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:59 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
That's got to really suck!!I tell every person I know that has a KJ,most are not modified,to check there LBJ's and show them how.Alot of them don't care and really don't care for there vehicle,so sad :cry: :cry: .At least they can't say I didn't try to warn them when/if they fail(also none are interested in joinning L.O.S.T.,they have them just for transportation only,to bad so sad).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:56 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
tjkj2002 wrote:
That's got to really suck!!I tell every person I know that has a KJ,most are not modified,to check there LBJ's and show them how.Alot of them don't care and really don't care for there vehicle,so sad :cry: :cry: .At least they can't say I didn't try to warn them when/if they fail(also none are interested in joinning L.O.S.T.,they have them just for transportation only,to bad so sad).


I do the same thing. I always tell ppl about the crappy balljoints.

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:18 am 
Offline
Master of the Blender
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:21 pm
Posts: 2804
Location: Margaritaville
Wow, thanks for the image. I wonder if it would be possible for anyone who has replaced their's with other units (Moog, etc) to post up some pics of the condition of theirs, preferably dis-assembled (I know they are sealed units so that may not be possible). Thx.

_________________
Kevin
AD5VG
Just another red Jeep in the world...
L.O.S.T. #KB051963


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:37 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:00 am
Posts: 141
Location: Port Charlotte Fl
That sux. Why are they failing? Do they all fail? Or only on modified Libertys?

_________________
05 Black Renegade, Cobra CB, Rustys 2.5" Suspension Lift, K&N, Founding Member Peace River Jeepers, I've owned 7 Jeeps and this is my Favorite. Revos 245/75/16.
95 YJ 35" MTs and 7.5" lift.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:44 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
jeepmed wrote:
That sux. Why are they failing? Do they all fail? Or only on modified Libertys?


They all fail.

I wanted to do that with mine corwyyn, but they were almost destroyed from pressing them out. One of my balljoints had no play in it before it was pressed, after I took it out it had around 1/8-1/4 of play. They almost popped out the top, and if they would have idk how I would of gotten them out.

The grease was black and white though, so id say thats what done it.

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:24 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:17 pm
Posts: 144
Is this happening on the '05 and '06 models too? How many miles before they fail? About to get a lift at the end of the summer and I'm curious if I should be getting mine checked out first. Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:47 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:56 am
Posts: 1773
Location: Detroit or Ypsilanti, MI
There are people with several thousand miles who HAVEN'T have had Ball Joint failures of any kind.

With that said, '05+ models are still experiencing failures.

_________________
Me - '17 KL Trailhawk 4x4, Rhino, P245/65R17 Destination A/Ts, Stock Skids, waiting for mods...
Sis - '18 Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4 - Black - Dents - Scratches - STOCK


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: PICS
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:36 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:30 pm
Posts: 119
Location: New York City
Thanks cacher for the initiative.

I will take this aLOT more seriously.

BTW, previous chime said "THEY ALL FAIL"

True? Does that mean premature and maybe spontaneous breakage(not from normal wear and tear)?

If so, what are the options for those of us with and without 3/36K and extended warranty coverages? :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pics of a failed LBJ
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:57 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:13 am
Posts: 105
Location: New Hampshire
I am happy to say that I found a local parts shop with Moog k3199's in stock Only two though. I'll be replacing the lowers soon. I have about 85K on the ones the dealership replaced under the recall. Tie rods also being replaced as they have play.
Interesting thing happened today. Went to another parts store to get the tie rod ends and one was a greeser the other wasn't. Very strange. They were made by SPICER. Attempted to contact them, they have a pay number at 1.75 a minute and not an Email address to be found. I am writing a nasty letter.

Now, I'm hoping JeepinAl will have Uppers for me soon. He's having problems finding the Moog's also. There nice heavy duty looking and feeling joints. Anything better then stock.

Good luck all.

_________________
IceColeNH #JC060619
03' Renegade
Al's Arms.
3 inch lift; Rusty's springs all around, Rancho struts + 4 electrical conduit washers up front. Old Man Emu in rear.
Moog K3199 in the lowers
General Grabber AT2 - 245 75 16 "load E on a mawl crawler? You don't need those." tire dealer.
K&N Filter
Silverstar Ultras


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:07 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 382
Location: Houston Texas
I have 2 libertys in my drive way and they both went bad in under 24K miles.

Moogs in both now... thank you very much, have a nice day!

_________________
Ray's Renegade
L.O.S.T # RP052495
Light Khaki 2005 Renegade 4x4
28D package (full skids)
Trailer tow group
Auto tranny
Trac-Loc
Jeep seat covers
K&N air filter
Moog K3199 LBJs
Frankenlift
Al's upper A arms
Goodyear wrangler silent armor
255/70-16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:35 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:52 am
Posts: 483
Location: Rhode Island
So someone tell me why all ball joints arnt designed with a clevis pin somplace as a failsafe in case the joint fails. WTF???

_________________
Pre-Lowered 02 Liberty
2.5" Rustys Coil w/ Ranchos in the rear.
ARB, OME927's, 1/4 strut plate and Als Gen 4.5 Uppers in the front.
Flowmaster Super 40 Series (GONE, SO QUIET!)
245/75/16 Kumho KL-78 w/ Spidertraxxxxx
Ripped out the plastic inner wheel liners
Herculined ALLLL over.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Balljoint failures
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:39 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:46 am
Posts: 798
Location: Williamson, NY
Could someone re-post or post the link to the discussion about how to check your balljoints utilizing the prybar? I'm having a difficult time locating it. I have an '03 Renegade with over 52,000 miles and so far (knock on wood :? ) I haven't noticed any signs of failure. I'd like to test them though. Thank you!

_________________
2003 Renegade 4X4 5-Speed, Bright Silver *TRADED for 2013 Wrangler*
PIAA 520 Auxiliary Lights
Garmin GPSMAP 76S
DynoMax Ultra Flow SS Muffler
Amsoil Ea "Absolute Efficiency" Air Filter
Nokian Vatiiva 235/70/R16 Tires
Pixeldzn's "RENEGADE" decals
Support the 2nd Amendment - It's your right!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:45 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:59 pm
Posts: 5171
Location: Austin, TX
it's a sticky in the 4x4 section
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=4348

_________________
2005 CRD
stuff
Skeptic quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:04 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:23 pm
Posts: 342
Location: North East Illinois (Lake County)
I check my LBJ everytime I get an oil change or swap my tires for wheeling. I was just putting my street tires back on and noticed the drivers side is bad. I'm at 56K I sent an e-mail to jeepin Al. As soon as I have some down time I'm putting in the moogs and upper A arms.

_________________
www.youtube.com/bakerjk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:42 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:27 pm
Posts: 17
Location: Virginia
I have over 120K on my 02 Liberty with the original ball joints the only thing ever done to them was for the recall and all they did was check them and install heat shields.

_________________
_________________________
2006 Liberty Limited CRD
2003 Grand Cherokee Overland
2002 Liberty Limited 3.7
1989 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
Affiliation: Mid-Atlantic
L.O.S.T. #074571


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:14 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:01 pm
Posts: 1214
jeepusa wrote:
I have over 120K on my 02 Liberty with the original ball joints the only thing ever done to them was for the recall and all they did was check them and install heat shields.


I'd honestly have them checked again. Even people that are unlifted and don't four-wheel are still seeing failures as soon as 30k.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com