It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Getting mud out of front skid?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:30 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:21 am
Posts: 170
Location: Cordova, TN for summer
OK so I went wheeling a couple of weeks ago, and I've already discovered that the front skid was poorly designed and more or less acts like a shovel in the mud. Anyways, does anybody have any tips on the best way to get mud out of it WITHOUT having to take the skid off every time (PITA). I was changing my oil tonight and noticed that I still had like 10lbs of mud up in the front skid, even after giving it a good 20 min treatment with a power washer.

_________________
2004 KJ Sport 4x4 - Maroon
235/70/16 Firestone Destination A/T
T-Case and Engine Skids
Husky Front Liners
Escort PASSPORT-X50 Radar hardwired HIGH
ALPINE 9857 w/ full iPod controls
Infinity BassLink I Sub


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:33 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:21 am
Posts: 1894
Location: Gilbert, AZ
stick the pressure washer up into that access hole that you have in order to change the oil and put it on a low setting and if that doesn't work try it on the higher pressure carefully I would think...

_________________
Had 2005 KJ Rocky Mnt. Edition (destroyed)
Had 2006 KJ Sport 4x4
Have 2007 JK 4-dr Sahara 4x4 (tow package so stock 4.10s!!)
AEV 3.5" RS Lift; Schrockworks FR bumper and Warn 9.5ti winch; Cobra 75 CB; Rigid 50" LED light bar; Adventure Trailers (AT Overland) JK Kitchen setup in the cargo area.
Southern L.O.S.T. # 236487


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:34 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:21 am
Posts: 170
Location: Cordova, TN for summer
hahaha just the man i expected to reply. Man, that trip is coming back to haunt me now. Permanent memories of it. Next time it rains hard like it did on Thursday, we need to head back out and really get into it.

_________________
2004 KJ Sport 4x4 - Maroon
235/70/16 Firestone Destination A/T
T-Case and Engine Skids
Husky Front Liners
Escort PASSPORT-X50 Radar hardwired HIGH
ALPINE 9857 w/ full iPod controls
Infinity BassLink I Sub


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:36 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:21 am
Posts: 1894
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Sounds like a plan...I found another big area to explore over there by the UPS store near Old Brunswick or Brownsville road near Wolfchase....looks liek it could be fun

_________________
Had 2005 KJ Rocky Mnt. Edition (destroyed)
Had 2006 KJ Sport 4x4
Have 2007 JK 4-dr Sahara 4x4 (tow package so stock 4.10s!!)
AEV 3.5" RS Lift; Schrockworks FR bumper and Warn 9.5ti winch; Cobra 75 CB; Rigid 50" LED light bar; Adventure Trailers (AT Overland) JK Kitchen setup in the cargo area.
Southern L.O.S.T. # 236487


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:39 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:21 am
Posts: 170
Location: Cordova, TN for summer
awesome, you talking bout out by sam's club off 64? and ooooh look, i got an avatar. It's amazing the little things you get done at 250am

_________________
2004 KJ Sport 4x4 - Maroon
235/70/16 Firestone Destination A/T
T-Case and Engine Skids
Husky Front Liners
Escort PASSPORT-X50 Radar hardwired HIGH
ALPINE 9857 w/ full iPod controls
Infinity BassLink I Sub


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:41 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:21 am
Posts: 1894
Location: Gilbert, AZ
looks good bud...were you ever able to get those vids off the camera too??? and yea I think that is the same place i'm talking about....there far behind the Sunrise GMC/Hummer dealership

_________________
Had 2005 KJ Rocky Mnt. Edition (destroyed)
Had 2006 KJ Sport 4x4
Have 2007 JK 4-dr Sahara 4x4 (tow package so stock 4.10s!!)
AEV 3.5" RS Lift; Schrockworks FR bumper and Warn 9.5ti winch; Cobra 75 CB; Rigid 50" LED light bar; Adventure Trailers (AT Overland) JK Kitchen setup in the cargo area.
Southern L.O.S.T. # 236487


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:43 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:21 am
Posts: 170
Location: Cordova, TN for summer
aww my bad, i totally forgot about the vids. You got AIM? if so, PM me your screen name and ill send em over

_________________
2004 KJ Sport 4x4 - Maroon
235/70/16 Firestone Destination A/T
T-Case and Engine Skids
Husky Front Liners
Escort PASSPORT-X50 Radar hardwired HIGH
ALPINE 9857 w/ full iPod controls
Infinity BassLink I Sub


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:13 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
Sorry to break you all up, but I usually get down and pull it all out by hand. :? It likes to pull it right up in there, and thats one reason i stay out of mud! :wink:

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Last edited by Jeepjeepster on Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:34 am 
Offline
KJ / JK Whatever
KJ / JK Whatever
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:20 pm
Posts: 931
Location: Des Plaines, IL
get on your knees and under the car with a pressure washer.... no other way...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:59 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 5:35 pm
Posts: 249
Location: MI (metro detroit area)
Last weekend I spent a few hours under my jeep scrubbing all the tiny spots to clear the whole thign of mud, and I found a great way to clear the caked mud from tight spots was just so sit under and hold a hose (or powerwasher if you've got one) right on the spot and stay there until the water runs clean. Given, I do not have the skids installed yet, but I would assume the premise would be the same.

I am proud to say that my liberty now has a little bit of sparkle on the underbody.

Incidentaly, is it weird that I derive the same amount of pleasure when covering my jeep with mud that I do when I see it washing off?

_________________
~Miah~

2005 Liberty Renegade Dk Khaki
Stock

Pics!
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:10 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
JFortier777 wrote:
Last weekend I spent a few hours under my jeep scrubbing all the tiny spots to clear the whole thign of mud, and I found a great way to clear the caked mud from tight spots was just so sit under and hold a hose (or powerwasher if you've got one) right on the spot and stay there until the water runs clean. Given, I do not have the skids installed yet, but I would assume the premise would be the same.

I am proud to say that my liberty now has a little bit of sparkle on the underbody.

Incidentaly, is it weird that I derive the same amount of pleasure when covering my jeep with mud that I do when I see it washing off?


Did the inside of your jeep ever smell the same after you flooded it? I would die if I ever did that. Did you pull the carpet back and make sure none of the wires under there was wet/hurt? There are a ton under ther drivers side carpet, dont know about the passenger side.

I usually put my jeep on jack stands and clean it. I have a pressure washer that can take soap, so I get it all good and clean.

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:01 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:27 pm
Posts: 228
Location: Goose Creek, SC
[quote="JeepjeepsterDid the inside of your jeep ever smell the same after you flooded it? I would die if I ever did that. Did you pull the carpet back and make sure none of the wires under there was wet/hurt? There are a ton under ther drivers side carpet, dont know about the passenger side.

I usually put my jeep on jack stands and clean it. I have a pressure washer that can take soap, so I get it all good and clean.[/quote]

I've flooded mine before, and it smells fine. And since the wires are all insulated, they'll be fine as long as the connectors aren't wet.

_________________
04 Sport - SOLD
Factory skids, All J's Super Skid II, Rock Lizard Skink Sliders, Frankenlift, 245/70R16 BFG AT's on Cragar Soft 8's, Cobra 75 CB

'04 TJ Sport - Solar Yellow, D44, stock for now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:10 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:11 pm
Posts: 231
Location: Illinois
i actually find it easier to wait until the mud is dry and get under there with a long screwdriver and break up the dried mud and pull it out by hand... much less of a mess when you're doing it at home... then i use the dirt to fill in low spots in the lawn... :lol:

Mark

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:24 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 5:35 pm
Posts: 249
Location: MI (metro detroit area)
Jeepjeepster wrote:
Did the inside of your jeep ever smell the same after you flooded it? I would die if I ever did that. Did you pull the carpet back and make sure none of the wires under there was wet/hurt? There are a ton under ther drivers side carpet, dont know about the passenger side.


The day I got home from that run (3 days after I began the lease).

I pulled out the front and rear seats, all the lower paneling, and all of the carpet and got a shop vac and soem clean water to clear out the muddy water that was pooling and the mud residue. After that, I rinsed, scrubbed, and shampooed the carpet, twice. The whole process took me about 14 hours, not counting drying time, and I had to do it straight through, because I needed it for work on moday. It took all day sunday in the fall sun to dry it.

End result was good though, I had spotless carpet just like new and it smelled beautiful. It does not smell now (8 months later) and I never had any issues with mold or the like. It was a great way for me to get aquainted with my liberty. As far as the wiring along the floors, there is a ton of it, everywhere; but all of it is 100% sealed and waterproof. I would say the only time you would have any problem is if you get over 5" of water inside. I think I was between 3-4".

_________________
~Miah~

2005 Liberty Renegade Dk Khaki
Stock

Pics!
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com