It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Head Unit Install Questions..
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:36 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:13 pm
Posts: 25
Location: near Reading, Pa
Not sure if I should post this here or in electronics so I'll apologize in advance. I have an 03 KJ and I had a after market head unit in my 2000 Cherokee. Nothing fancy just a medium end Pioneer the girlfriend got me. I was thinking about putting it in the KJ but how hard is it? I'm sure others on here have done it. I was trying to figure out how to get the center part of the dash off but didn't really figure it out. Does anyone out there have any thought or opinions positive or negative? and can anyone help with the install question?

Thanks!!!! 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:47 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:21 am
Posts: 170
Location: Cordova, TN for summer
Install is very easy. To get the center trim piece off, take out 1 screw where the ashtray is (if you dont have an ashtray, then the spot by the cigarette lighter outlet). Then take a student id or credit card, and push it in the gap between the center piece and the dash, and work with it till it pops out 4 tabs around the piece. You'll probably wanna unhook a few connectors to the A/C controls to get the piece out further. Wiring will be your toughest job, since you have to wire to a 3rd party head unit. Good luck with it.

_________________
2004 KJ Sport 4x4 - Maroon
235/70/16 Firestone Destination A/T
T-Case and Engine Skids
Husky Front Liners
Escort PASSPORT-X50 Radar hardwired HIGH
ALPINE 9857 w/ full iPod controls
Infinity BassLink I Sub


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:47 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:48 pm
Posts: 160
Walmart has the plug in wire harness for the KJ, and the trim piece (installation kit). Just take the plug from the head unit, and splice the wire to the after market plug. Then pull your stock unit out unhook the plug. Hook up the after market harness to the stock plug and your good to go
To get the center piece off there's one screw by the power port you take that out, and then take a thin blade screw drive and pop the trim piece off
It took me about 20mins to put my Pioneer in


Edit: Here a link to the wire harness I'm talking about
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CAVfUZlnBt ... =120706502

_________________
1989 Dodge Raider
05 Jeep Liberty CRD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:46 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
Idk what you all do with a credit card and a screw driver, I just pull mine from the bottom and it pops right off. I done this about 10 times now.

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com