It is currently Sun Oct 04, 2026 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: My Odometer is WAY Off
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:08 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:21 am
Posts: 190
Location: Billtown PA
No wonder I'm only getting 23mpg. I took a trip this weekend that has been 150 miles on the nose for 2 years (in my TDI). I only logged 138 in the Jeep. I also have another “point” from my house that’s a hair over 3 miles (my turnaround point on my 6 mile run). It’s 3.05+- as far as I can tell. The Jeep logs a mere 2.8. Would the tranny update fix this? Tires are OEM. :?:

_________________
Little Mack---06 Atlantic Blue CRD Sport born 5/17/06, rescued 7/31/06
Mods: Daystar 2.5" Lift, OME Long Travel Shocks and HD Struts, Firestone Destination AT's (245/75R16), Fumoto Drain Valve
Gone but not forgotten:
97 VW Passat TDI
89 VW Jetta diesel
540,000+ diesel miles since 12/89!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:12 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:27 am
Posts: 640
Don't know about the update fixing the problem. I had my odometer re-set for new size tires (245/70) by the dealer. It requires a computer update and they charged me approx $ 15. I checked after the update with my hand held gps and it was within 1% on both speed and distance at different speeds.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Odometer is WAY Off
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:47 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:31 pm
Posts: 1465
Location: Kent, OH
CRuD Bucket wrote:
No wonder I'm only getting 23mpg. I took a trip this weekend that has been 150 miles on the nose for 2 years (in my TDI). I only logged 138 in the Jeep. I also have another “point” from my house that’s a hair over 3 miles (my turnaround point on my 6 mile run). It’s 3.05+- as far as I can tell. The Jeep logs a mere 2.8. Would the tranny update fix this? Tires are OEM. :?:

You aren't the only one. My 100 mile commute is only @ 97 miles in the Jeep. Have a feeling the speedo is calibrated for the slightly smaller 235/70/16 tires that were stock on earlier KJ's. So if distance is time, and time is money, the Jeep is saving me money on this. Right??? :lol:

_________________
2005 Liberty Sport CRD, Lt Khaki, sunroof

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:20 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:21 am
Posts: 190
Location: Billtown PA
Yeah, as far as my economy goes it's like throwing away a gallon or more of fuel every tankfull. Hmmmmmmmmmm...

_________________
Little Mack---06 Atlantic Blue CRD Sport born 5/17/06, rescued 7/31/06
Mods: Daystar 2.5" Lift, OME Long Travel Shocks and HD Struts, Firestone Destination AT's (245/75R16), Fumoto Drain Valve
Gone but not forgotten:
97 VW Passat TDI
89 VW Jetta diesel
540,000+ diesel miles since 12/89!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:24 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:52 pm
Posts: 131
Location: Keller, TX
My speedometer reads about 3 mph fast on mine (changed the tires to a 235/70/16, had the dealer recalibrate to this size, still reads fast) but my odometer reads slow ... ??? If nothing else, I look at it as an extended warranty ....

_________________
2006 CRD Sport 4X4, bought 6 July 2006, born 5/20/2006 1900 hrs.
Mods N Things:
235/70r16 Wrangler SilentArmor, ProVent, Gasser airbox, CAT filter, Kennedy lift pump, fuel cooler, Evic from wrecked 05 KJ, factory skidplates, towhooks, OME 2" CRD lift, Magnaflow 12256 muffler, Alpine stereo & XM "stealth antenna" install


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:29 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:31 pm
Posts: 1465
Location: Kent, OH
CRuD Bucket wrote:
Yeah, as far as my economy goes it's like throwing away a gallon or more of fuel every tankfull. Hmmmmmmmmmm...

Filled my Impala last night at the local Speedway for $2.55/gal. Diesel pump on the same island was $3.09/gal. There is no economy in that, cheaper to drive my full size Chevy pick-up than the Jeep right now. :cry:

_________________
2005 Liberty Sport CRD, Lt Khaki, sunroof

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:36 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:16 pm
Posts: 282
Location: Upper Midwest USA
I'm not sure about the accuracy of my speedometer, but my EVIC is way off in calculating mpg's. It consistently reports 2-3mpg higher than when I calculate mpg manually. Could the EVIC be calculating mpg's correctly, but the miles recorded on both the speedometer and EVIC be too low?

_________________
2006 Liberty Limited CRD Bright Silver Metallic (NOW SOLD)
All Recalls Performed
100k extended warranty
Fumoto Oil Drain Valves (Oil Pan & Transfer Case)
V6 Airbox Mod
New Driveshaft, New EGR
2003 Wrangler Sport 4.0L, Bright Blue
2007 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4 Door, Red Rock Crystal Pearl WOW!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: After Market System Scanners.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:33 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:19 pm
Posts: 71
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
KJbob, Check the recal board at Jeep, There is a software upgrade to the transmission control module the corrects a incorrect mph reading of the
after market scanners.

Jim Friese


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: After Market System Scanners.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:35 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:19 pm
Posts: 71
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
KJbob, Check the recal board at Jeep, There is a software upgrade to the transmission control module the corrects a incorrect mph reading of the
after market scanners.

Jim Friese :P :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:23 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:53 am
Posts: 162
Location: VA
CRuD,

I noticed the same thing just last week. I reset the "odometer" on my GPS at the same time as my trip odo. I was off a full mile after 30 miles of driving. I did not check the real odometer to see if it was closer. I need to take a long trip to see how far off it really is.

I thought I was crazy but it seems I'm not alone. Time to get the last two recalls done to see it it fixes the problem.

_________________
2006 Liberty CRD-SOLD
Dynomax 2.5 exhaust


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:36 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:21 am
Posts: 190
Location: Billtown PA
Judging by my 2.8 miles vs. 3.05, I'm off a quarter mile in 3 miles or 1 mile in 12! I don't have a GPS but may be able to borrow one. I will post the results if/when I can.

_________________
Little Mack---06 Atlantic Blue CRD Sport born 5/17/06, rescued 7/31/06
Mods: Daystar 2.5" Lift, OME Long Travel Shocks and HD Struts, Firestone Destination AT's (245/75R16), Fumoto Drain Valve
Gone but not forgotten:
97 VW Passat TDI
89 VW Jetta diesel
540,000+ diesel miles since 12/89!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:41 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:22 am
Posts: 155
Location: Crawford County, Missouri
Mine is off as well, completely stock.

_________________
2006 CRD Sport,
Born on 5-20-2006 @ 7:20pm
Jeep Green, Oil drain valve
Tow Package, Transmission skid plate
EHM2, ORM,
Current mileage 79,000.
Past Jeeps: 63 CJ5,
1994, 1995, 2000 Cherokee,
1995, 1997, 2003 Wrangler


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:38 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:21 am
Posts: 55
Location: Granbury Texas
My 06 is off about 10 miles every 200 miles. Showing less miles than I am really going.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:04 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 8:20 pm
Posts: 165
Location: Houston, TX
Bgame wrote:
My 06 is off about 10 miles every 200 miles. Showing less miles than I am really go
Yep, Mine is 5% off too, on the low side. However, MPH is about 2.5 faster than the GPS

Dave


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:34 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:08 am
Posts: 521
Location: Greem Vally, AZ
Interesting.....I will fire up the GPS on the way back to Tucson from SD and check both the odometer and EVIC trip. There should not be a differance between them as they read from the same place but one can never tell.

If our recorded distance is lower then acual, then we are all getting better fuel economy then we think....right??

_________________
2006 Libery Sport CRD, Lt Kakhi, nicely equipped
*****GDE Hot Tune at 38,879 miles
*****Stock TC.....for the time being!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:53 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:21 am
Posts: 55
Location: Granbury Texas
litton wrote:
Interesting.....I will fire up the GPS on the way back to Tucson from SD and check both the odometer and EVIC trip. There should not be a differance between them as they read from the same place but one can never tell.

If our recorded distance is lower then acual, then we are all getting better fuel economy then we think....right??


Wrong if the recorded distance is lower then you are not getting as many miles to the gal.

_________________
06 CRD build date 5/15/06


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:54 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:21 am
Posts: 55
Location: Granbury Texas
litton wrote:
Interesting.....I will fire up the GPS on the way back to Tucson from SD and check both the odometer and EVIC trip. There should not be a differance between them as they read from the same place but one can never tell.

If our recorded distance is lower then acual, then we are all getting better fuel economy then we think....right??


Wrong if the recorded distance is lower then you are not getting as many miles to the gal.

Sorry hit the button twice :roll:

_________________
06 CRD build date 5/15/06


Last edited by Bgame on Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:45 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:17 pm
Posts: 27
Location: Ann Arbor, MI (Michigan Tech)
Bgame wrote:
Wrong if the recorded distance is lower then you are not getting as many miles to the gal.


Why? I hate to be so naive but I would rather divide 220/10 then 200/10. So If the recorded distance is lower then actual the recorded would be 200 and actual would be 220...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:58 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:21 am
Posts: 55
Location: Granbury Texas
seanpr123 wrote:
Bgame wrote:
Wrong if the recorded distance is lower then you are not getting as many miles to the gal.


Why? I hate to be so naive but I would rather divide 220/10 then 200/10. So If the recorded distance is lower then actual the recorded would be 200 and actual would be 220...


No, the way I see it. my mileage is showing 200 when I have really gone 210. My meter is off 10 miles for every 200 miles. So yes I would rather be dividing 210/10 than 200/10. With the last 8 trucks I have owned, from my house to my shop it is 20 mile round trip. Now on the CRD it is showing 19 miles. So I'm showing 190 miles and really going 200 miles

_________________
06 CRD build date 5/15/06


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:00 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:17 pm
Posts: 27
Location: Ann Arbor, MI (Michigan Tech)
edit: delete


Last edited by seanpr123 on Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com