Zonie wrote:
I know how to figure MPG using the odometer and the amount of gas I put in, but isn't the odometer off if the speedometer reads 4+ miles faster than I am actually going?
They don't have the highway checks in AZ, but even if they did, all that'd tell me is that my odometer isn't accurate. It would't give me a % or anything to plug into a formula. There must be a formula that will give accurate info. if we can plug in this info: speedometer = +4mpg which means that speed = + x% therefore odometer reads + x extra miles. If I can do that then I may be able to get an accurate MPG.
They don't have mile markers in AZ? That is standard Federal Interstate highway requirements. Not sure if it's true, some owners report the odometer accuarcy is independent from the speedometer. You should check both.
When you do find a road with mile posts, compare actual mileage driven (mile posts) to what your trip odometer is recording. For road-speed, use a stopwatch relative to the mileposts. Set your cruise control to maintain stable speed. Working from 60 mph, it should take you 60 seconds to drive a mile. If you drive the measured mile in 55 seconds, you are going 65 mph (actually 65.45 mph). 70 mph is a 51.4 second mile, 75 mph is a 48 second mile, etc... You can come up with your "% off" with this method for both speedometer and odometer.
From the measured % inacuracy on the odometer, simply plug & play: odometer mileage X (1 + % off) = actual mileage (keeping in mind that % off may be negative). Plug actual mileage into your mpg calculation.