It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: wheel spacers
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:53 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:56 pm
Posts: 140
Location: Southern Illinois
Just curious what the opinion is on wheel spacers. Just 1-1.25 Go or No Go?

_________________
OH NO! I THINK WE NEED SOME "OH SH*&T HANDLES!!!!
KJ gone.
New ride
05 Rubicon Unlimited, mostly stock.Starting to add stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:07 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:36 pm
Posts: 61
Location: Kent, Wa
Definate go! Some might say the addition to the moment arm will have increased wear on wheel bearings.......but they have to be replaced sometime

_________________
02' Liberty Limited
3" Lift
265/75-16
Powertrax No-slip in the rear
Custom Oregon Pinstriping


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:58 pm 
Offline
Got Groceries?
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:47 pm
Posts: 1117
Location: ORANGE BEACH, AL.
I just installed them a few weeks ago and I love them! Give it a much better stance, handles better on road, looks better, and ive had better luck in sand and mud with the width increase. also alot less rubbing with my 245-75 mtr's.

very easy installation also!

definately worth it

_________________
2003 limited 3.7L V6
Vader Edition

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3219059


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Wheel Spacers
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:47 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:50 pm
Posts: 83
Location: Oregon
What Hood297 said, there so worth it!!

_________________
2005 Silver CRD Sport
GDE Hot and Tranny Tunes, Suncoast, Trango, Provent, Magnaflow, Cummins Lift Pump, SAMCO, SEGR
Al's A-Arms, Frankenlift w/790+3 clevis rings, 4.10s, Eaton E-Locker, Skid Row & Mopar Skids, RRO Super-Sliders
ARB Bull Bar, KC Daylighters, Rebuilt Warn MX6085 w/125' Synthetic line, 265/70/16 Cooper Discoverer STT & Moabs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:38 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:59 am
Posts: 286
What'd think about spacer on an unlifted KJ? I like the look of the wider stance, but am not getting the lift, yet...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:45 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:56 pm
Posts: 140
Location: Southern Illinois
thanks guys any particular brand to go with? Or go with best deal?

_________________
OH NO! I THINK WE NEED SOME "OH SH*&T HANDLES!!!!
KJ gone.
New ride
05 Rubicon Unlimited, mostly stock.Starting to add stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:54 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:03 pm
Posts: 124
Location: Madison WI
I know you can get the spidertrax 2.5 inch for 100 bucks a pair not bad

_________________
Shawn

04 liberty Sport 3.7L with tow package
Rusty's 2.5 coil w/science guy mod and OME Long shocks
Rusty's engine/tranny & transfer case skids
245 75 R16 Timberline MTs
More in the plans :)
Lockers and rocker guards soon

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

3505


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:31 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:56 am
Posts: 305
Would getting wheels with a different offset to achieve the same stance-widening effect as a spacer have less negative effect on the life of the wheel bearings?

_________________
2006 Sport 4X4, Deep Beryl Green, NSG370, NV241J, Lifted with OME 927/948 and Bilstein, JBA 4.5 UCA's, Custom 3" Rear Y-Link Extension and Swaybar Relocation, 265/75-16 Toyo Open Country AT2 tires, Black Plastidipped bumpers, flares, and doors, Pioneer speakers, Alpine head unit, 1200w Phoenix Gold Amp, 12" Dayton Reference sub.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:49 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:03 pm
Posts: 124
Location: Madison WI
I think anything that widens the stance is going to have an adverse effect on this stuff doesn't matter it is a rim or a spacer still putting that far leverage point out that much farther. Allthough from what I have read here it doesn't make a huge difference as long as you aren't beating the snot out of it every day which even without the spacers you are going to have to replace stuff like that any ways.

_________________
Shawn

04 liberty Sport 3.7L with tow package
Rusty's 2.5 coil w/science guy mod and OME Long shocks
Rusty's engine/tranny & transfer case skids
245 75 R16 Timberline MTs
More in the plans :)
Lockers and rocker guards soon

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

3505


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:12 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:06 pm
Posts: 610
Location: somewhere in MO
TheJawsOfDeath wrote:
Would getting wheels with a different offset to achieve the same stance-widening effect as a spacer have less negative effect on the life of the wheel bearings?


The spacer is a another point of failure and additional unsprung weight I would use a rim with a different offset if the budget allowed.

_________________
Sold 05 CRD Patriot Blue, hole in the roof, Trailer tow, factory skids, LSD, Saris load bars, Michelin LTX M/S
Current Bright white 2010 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 V8


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:23 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 12:40 pm
Posts: 1496
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
consider this:

the wheel spacers are $100/pair.
One Cragar Soft 8 is $50 on jegs.com

So, if your are wanting to eventually get steelies, you should just get teh wheels with the backspace you want. Save some money

_________________
-Jon-
02 Jeep Liberty - LOST Trail Tested Edition - sold
09 VW Tiguan 4motion - current


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:15 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
See I keep jumping back and forth on the whole spacer/wheel thing due to mainly weight, would love to have Moabs but second choice is spacers because I really dont want to haul around the extra weight of steel rims. Money does not really come into play as black steels are about the same price. Although the black steels would good on mine, I think if no Moabs come my way then spacers will be ordered soon. Spidertrax are really good , should not be any real issues with running them long term.

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:28 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 4:27 pm
Posts: 2130
Location: Dayton, OH
So what is the weight difference between moabs, and soft 8's of the same size?

_________________
It may be that your only purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:08 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
jeepjeepster said like 20 lbs each heavier than stock aluminum, so 80 lbs more to roll down the road, not much but every bit helps or hurts. Anyone else know for sure??

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:11 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:08 pm
Posts: 633
Location: Franklin Ohio U.S.A.
tommudd wrote:
jeepjeepster said like 20 lbs each heavier than stock aluminum, so 80 lbs more to roll down the road, not much but every bit helps or hurts. Anyone else know for sure??
I think Jeepjeepster is pretty close on the weight difference.When I was checking on wheels the steels outweighed aluminum by about 15 pounds on average.Now granted at my age I'm oldschool but I'm going with AR OUTLAW IIs with backspacing and offset to make up the difference in buying spacers.Less between the hub and wheel just makes better since to me.And why OUTLAW IIs? Seems like every time I see a pic of someones KJ it reminds me of the last one I just seen. :)

_________________
Ron
03 Red Libberty Sport
3.7 V6 Auto 4x4
Lifted
Cooper Discover ATRs 265/75/16
American Racing 16x8 Polished Baja Wheels
Moog Lower Ball Joints
Member#051397 L.O.S.T. Midwest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:27 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:56 pm
Posts: 140
Location: Southern Illinois
so how wide should I go? I am looking at some 1.5's

_________________
OH NO! I THINK WE NEED SOME "OH SH*&T HANDLES!!!!
KJ gone.
New ride
05 Rubicon Unlimited, mostly stock.Starting to add stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:08 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:33 pm
Posts: 326
Location: Ga
I can say this.
I have 2" with 265/75/15 stock wheels 5.5 bs and I have no rubbing at all except when I stuff the back wheels , you think I'm ripping the fenders off.I mite be ok with 1.5 but 2" will be to much even with 245/75/16 and I have all of my liners out
click on pix
Image Image

_________________
2002 liberty, Daystar 2.5 Lift, 265/75/16
2005 Unlimited, , 9.5 , BB , 33x12.5 15 , 7" fender flares
2000 S10 PU
Image Image


Last edited by Skipperb on Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:40 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:11 am
Posts: 824
Location: Castle Rock, Colorado
I got the Spidertrax 1.25" pairs front and rear, and it eliminated all my rubbing. I got them instead of new rims because I didn't want to deal with mounting my tires on new rims, since I'd have to pay someone to do that. I would definitely gone that route if I had $700 for some Swampers as well. Either way, I really like my silver alloy Limited rims, since my KJ is silver. I'm just glad I have no rubbing at all, even in the rear! The outside sidewall of the stuffed tire fits in the wheel well almost flush to the flare's edge, but not touching by only a 1/4" or so. In the rear, my tires used to rub near the door and on the body in front of the upper shock mount. In the front, it would rub the pinch weld and fog door area when stuffed and the swaybar when turning full. I can finally u-turn again :roll:

_________________
2003 Limited, Silver - L.O.S.T. # 068957 Rockies
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2127390/14
2006 Kawasaki KLR650


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:27 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:55 am
Posts: 862
Location: Los Angeles, CA
If you get spacers, definitely go with the Spidertrax. I've used them for over a year now with absolutely no problems and they have a great reputation. Don't go with the cheap lugless steel spacers, as they can be dangerous.

_________________
Jeep Liberty Wikibook
# cd /home/fuzzymuzzle.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:58 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:11 am
Posts: 824
Location: Castle Rock, Colorado
unixxx wrote:
If you get spacers, definitely go with the Spidertrax. I've used them for over a year now with absolutely no problems and they have a great reputation. Don't go with the cheap lugless steel spacers, as they can be dangerous.


He's definitely right. Don't go the cheap route with spacers. Spend ~$100 and get them directly from Spidertrax's website.

_________________
2003 Limited, Silver - L.O.S.T. # 068957 Rockies
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2127390/14
2006 Kawasaki KLR650


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com