It is currently Sat Oct 10, 2026 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: XJ repair question...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:49 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:39 am
Posts: 51
I'm currently looking at a '89 XJ 4x4 w/ the 4.0L. The motor is bad, and unfortunately the rocker panels are too (MN eats vehicles). The motor will be easy and I'm not too worried about it, however how difficult would it be to get new rockers either welded in or fabbed up? The subframe is still solid, but the rockers are pretty much completely rusted out. I would hate to pass up a deal like this because I'd only be paying $250 for the Jeep, and the rest of the drive train is solid (Auto-Selectrac).
Thanks for any feedback... the guys holding it for me while I look for good body guys to get estimates on it. This will be a trail rig (possible longarm), so it doesn't have to be pretty, just functional.

-Lance

_________________
2004 Columbia Edition 4x4:
Red/Graphite, Rusty's Skids & RRO Steprails, 225/75/R16 Destination M/Ts, Draw-tite front/rear, and a few other mods... Still waiting for an affordable bumper and WORKING big lift to come to market!
LOST # 521487 - Rochester, MN
"I'm a curb conquerer!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Hope this helps
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:07 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:04 pm
Posts: 871
Location: Prescott AZ
Lance, it would be a lot of work but some of the guys ahve cut open the rocker panels and then added (welded back in) heavy wall tubing. You might wat to check the http://www.naxja.org/forum/index.php? site. Thes are the guys that know everything there is to know about an XJ. Hope that helps. Later..Clint

_________________
http://lostkjwest.com
http://www.azlostkj.com
http://lostzj.com
KE7JLP


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:11 pm 
Offline
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:15 pm
Posts: 1340
Location: Sebastopol CA
An 89 XJ for $250 will cure a lot of sins though.

_________________
Matt Townsend
Sebastopol CA

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:02 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:39 am
Posts: 51
Gracias, I appreciate the feedback and the link. I thought it over last night and my better half even okayed it, so I guess that's it... I have a new project for the winter!

-Lance

_________________
2004 Columbia Edition 4x4:
Red/Graphite, Rusty's Skids & RRO Steprails, 225/75/R16 Destination M/Ts, Draw-tite front/rear, and a few other mods... Still waiting for an affordable bumper and WORKING big lift to come to market!
LOST # 521487 - Rochester, MN
"I'm a curb conquerer!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:17 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
Ive been looking for the same thing, a good xj for cheap, not really started looking, what is involved in looking? Ive got around 1k so i think i can find around 93-94 for that in ok shape?!?

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Last edited by Jeepjeepster on Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:56 am 
Offline
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:15 pm
Posts: 1340
Location: Sebastopol CA
Dunno about what you can get it for. I found a 94 stripped (crank windows etc) in good shape, except for rust cancer from being in PA, for $3000 and that was about the cheapest I could find after 2 months of looking.

_________________
Matt Townsend
Sebastopol CA

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:03 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:39 am
Posts: 51
This was about as unexpected as ever. I've been looking for a decent deal for a long time, but last week on the way to work I ran accross this. It's only about a mile from where I work and it was just parked out in the front w/ the sign on it. Guy said he had a lot of lookers, however they were put off by the "bad motor" on the sign. He's a member of a local off-road group so we shot the breeze for a while (gave him the lowdown on LOST) and showed my Lib off a lil' bit. Told him I was going to build it and he hooked me up w/ a better price.
Complete fluke.
Best of luck to ya finding your XJ jeepster... just drive around a lot and you may get lucky!
-Lance

_________________
2004 Columbia Edition 4x4:
Red/Graphite, Rusty's Skids & RRO Steprails, 225/75/R16 Destination M/Ts, Draw-tite front/rear, and a few other mods... Still waiting for an affordable bumper and WORKING big lift to come to market!
LOST # 521487 - Rochester, MN
"I'm a curb conquerer!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:45 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:37 pm
Posts: 7928
Location: Big Bear & Lancaster, Ca.
Around here the 90-92's in fair shape but w/ Many miles on them will usually sell in the $1k range, especially if they are manual trans and stripped. I paid $5k for my 94, but it was lifted, had lockers front and rear and 4.10's in it and nice bling wheels and 31" BFG's already on it. It was a good deal even though I ended up changing a lot of stuff anyhow. Just like everything Jeep, just can't leave it alone no matter how good it already is. Ugh. :wink:

_________________
99 TJ
71 C101
04 KJ
03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:53 am 
Offline
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:15 pm
Posts: 1340
Location: Sebastopol CA
You need to bring it up here so we can get more pinstriping on it JJ. :lol:

_________________
Matt Townsend
Sebastopol CA

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com