It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Building a new 3 link (Boomerang)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:03 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:53 pm
Posts: 33
Location: Spokane, Wa
I was under the backside last night looking at the boomerang and starting thinking about making a new one. I put the RE 3715 adjustable lowers on and would like the move the axle back a little bit without messing up the pinion angle. Looking at it I think a truss of some sort over the axle and then using a SF joint in place of the factory piece. Then at the other ends of the boomerang using either SF or SR joints..... and making it adjustable there, to push the axle back a bit. Any thoughts? Because I'm sure that somebody has already done this.
-Chris

_________________
AL's Arms, ARB Bumper
8" P.C. Driving Lights
T-Max 9000 (EW-9000)
ProComp 16x8 4.5BS 7089's in Black
RE Superflex arms, Franken Lift w/OME struts
Skids
265/75R16 Trxus
My other Jeep projects http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p14/BonesBrosChris/


Last edited by CJ10chris on Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:13 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:21 am
Posts: 1894
Location: Gilbert, AZ
I think Mutt did a similar thing perhaps...I know he moved his back, or at least was talking about moving it back...not sure who all else has done it though..maybe Al did when he was working on his bolt in 5.5" lift, but not sure...

_________________
Had 2005 KJ Rocky Mnt. Edition (destroyed)
Had 2006 KJ Sport 4x4
Have 2007 JK 4-dr Sahara 4x4 (tow package so stock 4.10s!!)
AEV 3.5" RS Lift; Schrockworks FR bumper and Warn 9.5ti winch; Cobra 75 CB; Rigid 50" LED light bar; Adventure Trailers (AT Overland) JK Kitchen setup in the cargo area.
Southern L.O.S.T. # 236487


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:15 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
I believe Al did that.

Just be sure you dont move the axle back so far that the drive line will fall out of the tcase at full flex. :wink:

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:45 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:53 pm
Posts: 33
Location: Spokane, Wa
I going to put a Dana 300 t-case in after I push the axle back. So new drivelines are going in also.
-Chris

_________________
AL's Arms, ARB Bumper
8" P.C. Driving Lights
T-Max 9000 (EW-9000)
ProComp 16x8 4.5BS 7089's in Black
RE Superflex arms, Franken Lift w/OME struts
Skids
265/75R16 Trxus
My other Jeep projects http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p14/BonesBrosChris/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:24 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:55 am
Posts: 862
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Be sure to post all of the details if you make one....

_________________
Jeep Liberty Wikibook
# cd /home/fuzzymuzzle.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:43 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:38 pm
Posts: 786
Location: on the bayou
Yeah I remember hearing Mutt was in the process at one time or another. If I remember, Carolina Rock Shop was doing the fab work for him. Sure he'll chime in on this matter soon.

Would love to see what you come up with. Take pics and notes for a write up. later,mike


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:57 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
Here is Al's rear suspension.

Image

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:35 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:02 pm
Posts: 315
Location: Dover, DE
That is nice. Now if he would start to produce those for sale that would be sweet. Looks way sturdier than the stamped piece of steel Jeep uses now.

_________________
2004 KJ Black Renny
Lifted and modified.
Wheeled hard and starting to show
LOST #070673

http://www.delawareja.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:16 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:53 pm
Posts: 33
Location: Spokane, Wa
I'm going to pick up a used one from the wreckers today. If I get time this weekend I'll make a jig and play around with how I want to do the ends. The one Al made looks similar, but I think by the picture that both ends are adjustable. I think I'll try to make the axle end fixed and where the arms mount to the unibody brackets adjustable. Rubicon superflex joints seem to hold up better than QA1 rodends, well at least they stay quieter, longer and they are rebuildable. Does anybody have a picture of how Al did the mount on the diff. Because after looking at the rear-end last night I think I'll be hard pressed to build a truss over the axle unless I had at least 6" more room over it. So plan "B" was to build a thin ring that would bolt under the diff cover and wrap over the top and bolt into the stock holes on the top side of the diff, and then intergrate the 3rd link bracket into that. just thinking....... and very, very bored. :(
-Chris

_________________
AL's Arms, ARB Bumper
8" P.C. Driving Lights
T-Max 9000 (EW-9000)
ProComp 16x8 4.5BS 7089's in Black
RE Superflex arms, Franken Lift w/OME struts
Skids
265/75R16 Trxus
My other Jeep projects http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p14/BonesBrosChris/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:19 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:15 pm
Posts: 2733
Location: Atlanta GA
CJ10chris wrote:
I'm going to pick up a used one from the wreckers today. If I get time this weekend I'll make a jig and play around with how I want to do the ends. The one Al made looks similar, but I think by the picture that both ends are adjustable. I think I'll try to make the axle end fixed and where the arms mount to the unibody brackets adjustable.
-Chris


The project sounds interesting, Chris. I did have one thought, though. If you make the unibody-ends adjustable and NOT the diff end, then you'll have adjustability for side-to-side fitment, accounting for differences in manufacturing and mounting, but nothing to compensate for geometry changes front-back... thoughts?

_________________
Image
2005 Silver CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
245/75R16 GoodYear Duratracs
Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:56 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:53 pm
Posts: 33
Location: Spokane, Wa
True.... but it's in how the arms are shaped. If at the joint at the unibody the arm(s) went towadrd the rear, lets say 4" before the bend towards the center I see no need to have the adjustabilty at the diff also. Now if you did it like in Al's picture I figure you would need to have the adjustabilty on both ends. Trail and error I guess. I do appriciate the feedback! :P
-Chris

_________________
AL's Arms, ARB Bumper
8" P.C. Driving Lights
T-Max 9000 (EW-9000)
ProComp 16x8 4.5BS 7089's in Black
RE Superflex arms, Franken Lift w/OME struts
Skids
265/75R16 Trxus
My other Jeep projects http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p14/BonesBrosChris/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:58 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 1066
Location: Bel Air, Md
I think Al's was a custom piece from Rusty's. You should PM Al or call Rusty and see if they are the ones that built it. They might also be able to help you with fitment and angle issues.

_________________
David
Bel Air,Md
2003 KJ Patriot Blue Sport w/mods R.I.P.
2005 Wrangler Unlimited not so stock
L.O.S.T. #082670
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/803306
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2399643
More mods planned than money.
-----------------

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:25 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:28 pm
Posts: 683
Location: Blairstown, NJ
Nope that was all mine, make the one end joint adjustable to adjust the pinion angle, and the outer two to adjust the center to center position of the differentional.

Al

_________________
One Ruby, One Grand Cherokee, One YJ, One disassembled CJ, one Chevy Mason dump, one hotrod IH Pick-up, couple of antique tractors.
Former owner of a 5.5 inch lifted KJ


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com