It is currently Tue Oct 06, 2026 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Running Rich
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:29 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:20 pm
Posts: 122
Location: NJ
I put a Mopar Borla exhaust on my liberty about 1 month ago. The exhaust tips are stainless so I really notice that the bottoms of them get black soot on them. Even if I wash them it reaccumulates after 1 or 2 days. I didn't notice this w/ the stock exhaust because the tip was up higher and not shiny. If I stand behind the Jeep when it is running I do notice that it smells like it is running rich. Do these Liberties run rich from the factory? Or maybe I should get it checked out at the dealership?

_________________
2006 Jeep Liberty 65th Edition, 4x4, Auto
Mopar Borla Single Side Exhaust
Mopar Full Skids and Tow Hooks

1991 Pontiac Firebird, 305TBI w/ 5 spd manual, Black w/ T-Tops, Pretty much all stock


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:37 pm 
Offline
Got Groceries?
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:47 pm
Posts: 1117
Location: ORANGE BEACH, AL.
I have also had the exact same thing happen to mine when traded my stock muffler for a flowmaster and added a tip to it, same exact problem as 65thKJ described above...

Im also curious as to what is causing this...

_________________
2003 limited 3.7L V6
Vader Edition

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3219059


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:49 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:20 pm
Posts: 122
Location: NJ
Anyone? :?:

_________________
2006 Jeep Liberty 65th Edition, 4x4, Auto
Mopar Borla Single Side Exhaust
Mopar Full Skids and Tow Hooks

1991 Pontiac Firebird, 305TBI w/ 5 spd manual, Black w/ T-Tops, Pretty much all stock


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:28 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:33 am
Posts: 455
Location: Louisville, KY
I too have noticed what appears to be carbon buildup on my SS exhaust tip. I haven't noticed it smelling like it was running rich, so I didn't think much of it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:07 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 1297
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Give them some time; I’m sure someone is out their franticly searching.

_________________
"I'm the guy who does his job, you must be the other guy"
02 Black UNlimited Edition 4X4 Select Trac Liberty Towing/Off Road Packages 245/75/16 on black Moabs
RL diff cover/Super Skink sliders, Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift w/ clevis lift, Roof basket W/Hella FF75...
On the prowl for an M416/M101/M100 trailer
L.O.S.T. Member 2877


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running Rich
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:24 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
65thKJ wrote:
I put a Mopar Borla exhaust on my liberty about 1 month ago. The exhaust tips are stainless so I really notice that the bottoms of them get black soot on them. Even if I wash them it reaccumulates after 1 or 2 days. I didn't notice this w/ the stock exhaust because the tip was up higher and not shiny. If I stand behind the Jeep when it is running I do notice that it smells like it is running rich. Do these Liberties run rich from the factory? Or maybe I should get it checked out at the dealership?
My Borla exhuast is the same way,like you said you didn't notice it before due to the stock pipe being out of the way.When you first start your KJ and till the O2 sensors reach about 600-650 degress you are in "open loop" which means you are on a preset control on fuel delievery and stark control.As soon as the O2 sensors are heated up and start sending the PCM signals then you go into "closed loop" and your PCM adjusts fuel and timing off the O2 sensors.So yes if it is fairly warm out when you first start your KJ it is running rich,nothing you can do about it till the O2 sensors are heated up.Now if it still smells like it's running rich when fully warmed up then your check engine light should turn on telling you one of your O2 sensors is not working.Plus it took a 2 months of running the Borla to get all the preservitive oil burned out of the Borla muffler,that may be what you are smelling.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running Rich
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:48 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:20 pm
Posts: 122
Location: NJ
tjkj2002 wrote:
Plus it took a 2 months of running the Borla to get all the preservitive oil burned out of the Borla muffler,that may be what you are smelling.


That might be it, because it does seem like it is getting less build up as time goes on. I think I'll just give it another month. Plus I have been doing mostly short trips so maybe it from the multiple warm ups and running in open loop.

_________________
2006 Jeep Liberty 65th Edition, 4x4, Auto
Mopar Borla Single Side Exhaust
Mopar Full Skids and Tow Hooks

1991 Pontiac Firebird, 305TBI w/ 5 spd manual, Black w/ T-Tops, Pretty much all stock


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:08 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:44 pm
Posts: 249
I've had the dual mopar exhaust for about a year now...and i the soot still builds up fairly quickly. Most of my trips are 30+ highway miles, but since its always pretty warm around here sounds like there's not much i can do about it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:46 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:21 am
Posts: 1894
Location: Gilbert, AZ
My check engine light couldn't read that one of my O2 sensors was bad. I ended up losing my Catalytic convertors. Had them replaced along with all the spark plugs and O2 sensors...tahnk God for warranty work...hopefully won't happen again...

_________________
Had 2005 KJ Rocky Mnt. Edition (destroyed)
Had 2006 KJ Sport 4x4
Have 2007 JK 4-dr Sahara 4x4 (tow package so stock 4.10s!!)
AEV 3.5" RS Lift; Schrockworks FR bumper and Warn 9.5ti winch; Cobra 75 CB; Rigid 50" LED light bar; Adventure Trailers (AT Overland) JK Kitchen setup in the cargo area.
Southern L.O.S.T. # 236487


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:51 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:46 pm
Posts: 1195
The Libby does run pretty rich when we dyno it. I've had my Borla/Mopar dual for over 5 years. It doesn't stop happening. I just pull out the Mother's polish every once in a while and make them nice and shiney again.

_________________
June 2001 Liberty Limited 4X4
Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:50 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:08 pm
Posts: 349
Funny thing, after I had my O2 sensor changed my mileage dropped 30%. Oh, ya, I also got the BCM reprogrammed.

_________________
2006 Liberty Renegade
Daystar 1.5, 2.5 Lift
Mickey Thompson MTX 225/75 16
Surco Roof Rack
Surco Spare Tire Bike Rack
Garmin Map 76 GPS


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:45 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:36 am
Posts: 507
try wrapping 6 or 8 layers of folded aluminum foil around your exhaust infront of your O2 sensors. from what i understand, that will make it run leaner. mine are wrapped all the way to the cat and secured with safety wire. i dont have any header wrap. i get right at 20 mpg driving in the mountains around 4000 ft. on crappy CA MTBE, winter gas

but you cant do anything about the closed loop start up thing apparently.

_________________
Admin note:
This account has been deactivated.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com