It is currently Wed Oct 07, 2026 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Custom Air Intake 2 mpg
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:31 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5827
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
My description and pictures can be viewed on my blog. Click on the www in my signature or click on my link. http://dieselenthusiast.blogspot.com/

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:52 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:30 pm
Posts: 443
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Nice job, and very interesting. Are you doing this with a CRD airbox or a gasser airbox?

_________________
2005 Black CRD Sport
All J CRD Frankenlift with 500 fronts, Boulderbars, and Superskid
Kilby Gas Skid
Yukon Rear Axles
265/75 16 TrXus M/T's and Bridgestone Revo's
Fumoto Valve
Aero Turbine 2525
Rock Lizard Komodo Bumper
Sundance Custom's Front Bumper


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:27 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5827
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
AZScout wrote:
Nice job, and very interesting. Are you doing this with a CRD airbox or a gasser airbox?



I traded off my CRD a few months ago for the 2007 gasser. I’m using the factory 3.7L air box but added an additional inlet for more cool air. I wasn’t overly impressed with the factory air inlet. The more I thought about it, the more it bugged me. So I spent the last few weeks walking through hardware stores, talking to others on this forum, and trying to come up with the best way to bring more cool air to the motor. I wanted to see if the engine was really starving for more cool air, so I used the “Ram Air Effect” as seen in my pictures. My wife and I couldn’t believe it, she said, “you mean putting that little tube on made that big of a difference?” To be honest, I was shocked! :shock: I thought I might see a .5 mpg gain and was hoping for 1 mpg gain. But a solid 2 mpg increase! :shock: All for under $5.00 bones! :shock: I hope someone copies what I did or reports similar gains by coming up with their own modification. I have a feeling that NOBODY is going to believe me. :cry: And I don’t know any L.O.S.T. members locally who can verify my findings. :cry:

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:20 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:28 pm
Posts: 475
Location: Chesapeake, VA
What did you use for the tubing?

_________________
LostRenegade - Lost # 477
2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Silver
Mopar Skids, Skid Row Tranny Skid, Boulder Bars, Frankenlift II, 60" Hi-Lift Jack, K&N 6x9 Air Filter, Magnaflow, Dertoit Locker, 245/75R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Al's A-Arms


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:06 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:46 pm
Posts: 1195
The Libby actually responds to colder air quite well. I've been saying it for years. Everybody always says I'm full of BS when I tell them my actual increases at Interstate speeds, so I just say over 15%. Of course you need to consider that the outer edges of the scoop are 2"X25", funneling into a 21.5"X1" opening that blows through a 5"X4" opening right on top of the cone for the FIPK. StreetKJ can also verify that colder air really helps it. Here's a link to his $4 cold air intake mod.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=11748

_________________
June 2001 Liberty Limited 4X4
Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:45 am 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
I have been experimenting also with different ways to get more air in, right now have the stock air box back on with the air intake that went up towards the hood off and 6 inch flexible dryer vent hose from the box up through to the front of the grill. you do have to "smash" it down some to about one and a half inches by of course 6 inches but then the original is about that same size. I have only ran it about 250 miles but seems to help a little. Nope no pictures yet.

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Custom Air Intake 2 mpg
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:01 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:12 pm
Posts: 72
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
dieselenthusiast wrote:
My description and pictures can be viewed on my blog. Click on the www in my signature or click on my link. http://dieselenthusiast.blogspot.com/


Looking at the pictures, did you "stuff" the original inlet hole and are now running strictly on the inlet tube, or is the original hole still open?

_________________
'03 Reny Cactus Green - All the comforts, Escape Hatch, Trac-lok, Selec-trac, Full disk brakes + 45RFE (built Sept 2002).
Had: '98 Dodge Ram 1500 SWB RWD 5.2L - I will miss you...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:21 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5827
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
LostRenegade wrote:
What did you use for the tubing?


1.5” x 16” plastic tubing that came from a Kitchen End Outlet Drain Assembly Kit from Wal-Mart, under $5.00 dollars. At first I was a little concerned that using a 1.5” inlet tube wasn’t going to be large enough. But I wanted to use it anyway as it was the best method that I found to deliver ram air to the box in the most direct route. I plan on making some type of scoop for the inlet to catch more air. I found a second location that I thought would work in addition to my first. The second location is running the same size of tube through the plastic square looking piece that runs along the side of the headlight housing. There is a hole that is exposed to the front of the grill at the end of the plastic housing. I would cut away the rubber deflector to send fresh cool air down the tube and directly to the factory snorkel by cutting with the hole saw again.

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:39 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5827
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
KY Liberty wrote:
The Libby actually responds to colder air quite well. I've been saying it for years. Everybody always says I'm full of BS when I tell them my actual increases at Interstate speeds, so I just say over 15%. Of course you need to consider that the outer edges of the scoop are 2"X25", funneling into a 21.5"X1" opening that blows through a 5"X4" opening right on top of the cone for the FIPK. StreetKJ can also verify that colder air really helps it. Here's a link to his $4 cold air intake mod.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=11748


Oh yes, I remember seeing StreetKJ's modification. :lol: I laughed because I considered using the downspout before I saw that he had used it. I like the downspout idea because the square end was flexible enough to squeeze through the tight opening to the grill. His inlet is much larger than mine, so I know he is scooping up more cool air. I like the cleanliness and direct route of my installation, but I do plan on adding a second inlet and modifying some sort of scoop to the inlets in hopes to funnel more air into the intake tube. Your right KY Liberty, more air does make a BIG difference, more so than what I had ever expected. Now that more of us are reporting similar results, hopefully more people will start believing us. The is probably the best modification for the cheapest cost.

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Custom Air Intake 2 mpg
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:50 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5827
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
Phadeout wrote:
dieselenthusiast wrote:
My description and pictures can be viewed on my blog. Click on the www in my signature or click on my link. http://dieselenthusiast.blogspot.com/


Looking at the pictures, did you "stuff" the original inlet hole and are now running strictly on the inlet tube, or is the original hole still open?


I’m still using the factory inlet tube in addition to my custom install. In the picture I took the factory inlet off so I could measure the amount of tubing needed for my second inlet that will run from the grill straight into the factory inlet tube. I hope to have it installed sometime soon.

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:05 pm 
Offline
Coal Country Wheelin
Coal Country Wheelin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:17 am
Posts: 945
Location: Goldsboro, NC
Did you do this mod at the same time you put the AMS oil air filter in too? I am wondering if the new air filter aided in your gains? That is wild wild though that it bumped up your mpg that much!! Good stuff! And thanks for sharing!

_________________
LIBERTY or DEATH

2005 Sport with "STUFF"

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:16 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5827
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
kolesy wrote:
Did you do this mod at the same time you put the AMS oil air filter in too? I am wondering if the new air filter aided in your gains? That is wild wild though that it bumped up your mpg that much!! Good stuff! And thanks for sharing!


Yep, I installed the Amsoil Air Filter at the same time of the install. I don’t know the flow rate of the stock filter to compare to the Amsoil. But here is what Darby wrote:

DarbyWalters wrote, “I just received my new filter and immediately noticed some big differences. Althoght the filters have similar dimensions length and width, the number of pleats and size of pleats are different. If you unfolded the Amsoil filter media you would have 1,888 square inches of filtering media. If you unfolded the OEM filter media you would have 894 square inches of filtering media. That is 211% increase in filtering area with the AMSOIL air filter vs the OEM filter. Better media AND more filtering area has to be a plus. The stock filter has 67 pleats at 7/8" tall...the AMSOIL filter has 110 pleats at 9/8" tall.”

I do know that Amsoil flows 98% at 15 micron. So based upon Darby’s observation, I would say that the Amsoil air filter played a significant role in the increase of performance and mileage.

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:22 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5827
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
Good News! After doing some real world driving experimentation, I’m happy to report a gain of an additional 40 - 45 driving miles on a tank of fuel with the added air intake and Amsoil air filter. It sure felt good bypassing the normal fuel stop and continue driving where we would normally have to stop and fill up. I’m still showing somewhere between 1.9 mpg - 2.5 mpg increase. My driving speeds vary from 60 mph - 75 mph. I do start to see a drop off in mileage running at 73 mph. I’m eager to add my second inlet location to see if that helps increase or stabilize the mileage gains at 73 mph and other speeds as well. My inlet is pretty small (1.5”), so maybe an additional (1.5”) inlet will increase the amount of cold air entering into the air box.

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:58 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
You didnt happen to put this in right when it was warming up did you? Ive noticed a huge increase in mpg when its warmed up. It always taken me around 3/4 tank to get home and back to school but now it only takes around 1/2-5/8 of a tank since its been warming up.

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:04 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:46 pm
Posts: 1195
The winter mix gas here causes me to lose a couple mpg. Of course, so does a dirty air filter or needing an oil change.

_________________
June 2001 Liberty Limited 4X4
Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:33 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:08 am
Posts: 225
Location: Wisconsin
Nice to see you getting better mileage but for your results to mean anything at all you should be compairing your results originally with stock box and dirty filter, then stock box with clean filter, then stock box with amsoil filter, lastly modified box with amsoil filter. You made a lot of changes at once to take any credit at all for the increased mileage. You might just have had a filthy old filter in there... not trying to be a richard or anything, I do think 2mpg is significant and a very good thing with our thirsty KJs :)

Looks like your tube should be pretty easy to cap off too for driving in water. Slick install.

_________________
Early '02 Limited, Steel Blue, White Guts


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:07 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:36 am
Posts: 507
im having trouble believing it does any good at all.

but until i try it myself, ill trust you.

_________________
Admin note:
This account has been deactivated.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:10 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5827
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
Jeepjeepster wrote:
You didnt happen to put this in right when it was warming up did you? Ive noticed a huge increase in mpg when its warmed up. It always taken me around 3/4 tank to get home and back to school but now it only takes around 1/2-5/8 of a tank since its been warming up.


Excellent observation! I did install the air intake and the Amsoil filter at the time of warmer weather. Before the install I was averaging (City/Highway) between 19.8 - 21.7 mpg in 70 degree temperatures. The next day, and after the install, and in the same temperatures, I jumped up to 24 mpg. The A/C does take a toll on the mpg dropping it down to 23 mpg.

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:49 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5827
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
[quote="waddy whiteguts"]Nice to see you getting better mileage but for your results to mean anything at all you should be compairing your results originally with stock box and dirty filter, then stock box with clean filter, then stock box with amsoil filter, lastly modified box with amsoil filter. You made a lot of changes at once to take any credit at all for the increased mileage. You might just have had a filthy old filter in there... not trying to be a richard or anything, I do think 2mpg is significant and a very good thing with our thirsty KJs :)

Looks like your tube should be pretty easy to cap off too for driving in water. Slick install.[/quote

Good Point! Let me clarify. We just turned 3,000 miles on our Jeep today. :D The factory air filter naturally was clean at the time of the Amsoil filter change. In a very short time I have driven the same 164 mile driving route before and after the install for comparison due to pre and post eye surgery appointments. I don’t know any stock Liberty’s that are reporting 24 mpg. Based on this observation and the fact that I was only averaging 19.8 - 21.7 before the install, I have to conclude that the Amsoil air filter and ram air intake tube increased the amount of cold air being delivered to the motor. My intentions for the install had little to do with fuel economy. Trust me, I didn’t buy a Jeep for fuel economy. My intentions were curiosity and to increase performance. I was really curious if I could squeeze more power from the 3.7. I figured there might be some increase in fuel economy, but I didn’t realize it would be this dramatic. :shock:

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Last edited by dieselenthusiast on Sat May 05, 2007 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:56 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
Need to take the Air Filter out on a rainy day and see what the mileage is.. :twisted:

Someone get back to me when they do that.. :lol:

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com