It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: transfer case fluid question
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:16 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:38 am
Posts: 493
Location: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I was thinking that the front differential fluid would not need changing often because of limited 4x4 use. But this is not the case I was informed, as it is always spinning, even if not engaged, therefore contaminating the fluid.
So my question is: Is the transfer case completely inoperative (command trac part time) when in 2x4? Or all the fluids constantly being sloshed around?
I am doing a full flush of all fluids over to synthetic, but the transfer case already has atf4 in it-full synthetic. So if it hasn't really moved much anyway, I am going to leave it alone.I only have 8000 miles, but I understand that an early flush gets out all of the break in metals in the diffs or tranny.
Thanks in advance for an answer....

_________________
'06 3.7 sport 6 speed (long live manual tranny's)
tinted windows, cruise, midnight blue
Mopar roof rack
Royal Purple Synchromax in tranny
Royal Purple Maxgear in pumpkins
Full mopar skids, front diff collar
Future mods: Rock rails, B.F. Goodrich all terains. (In my dreams: Frankenlift)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: transfer case fluid question
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:24 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:37 pm
Posts: 7928
Location: Big Bear & Lancaster, Ca.
hooperswish wrote:
I was thinking that the front differential fluid would not need changing often because of limited 4x4 use. But this is not the case I was informed, as it is always spinning, even if not engaged, therefore contaminating the fluid.
So my question is: Is the transfer case completely inoperative (command trac part time) when in 2x4? Or all the fluids constantly being sloshed around?
I am doing a full flush of all fluids over to synthetic, but the transfer case already has atf4 in it-full synthetic. So if it hasn't really moved much anyway, I am going to leave it alone.I only have 8000 miles, but I understand that an early flush gets out all of the break in metals in the diffs or tranny.
Thanks in advance for an answer....


I wouldn't bother changing the transfer case fluid that early. No problem waiting until the normal service interval.

_________________
99 TJ
71 C101
04 KJ
03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: transfer case fluid question
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:17 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:38 am
Posts: 493
Location: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
JJsKJ wrote:
hooperswish wrote:
I was thinking that the front differential fluid would not need changing often because of limited 4x4 use. But this is not the case I was informed, as it is always spinning, even if not engaged, therefore contaminating the fluid.
So my question is: Is the transfer case completely inoperative (command trac part time) when in 2x4? Or all the fluids constantly being sloshed around?
I am doing a full flush of all fluids over to synthetic, but the transfer case already has atf4 in it-full synthetic. So if it hasn't really moved much anyway, I am going to leave it alone.I only have 8000 miles, but I understand that an early flush gets out all of the break in metals in the diffs or tranny.
Thanks in advance for an answer....


I wouldn't bother changing the transfer case fluid that early. No problem waiting until the normal service interval.


Sounds good JJ. So the transfer case does nothing during normal 2by usage?(unlike the front diff)?
Thanks!

_________________
'06 3.7 sport 6 speed (long live manual tranny's)
tinted windows, cruise, midnight blue
Mopar roof rack
Royal Purple Synchromax in tranny
Royal Purple Maxgear in pumpkins
Full mopar skids, front diff collar
Future mods: Rock rails, B.F. Goodrich all terains. (In my dreams: Frankenlift)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: transfer case fluid question
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:40 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:37 pm
Posts: 7928
Location: Big Bear & Lancaster, Ca.
hooperswish wrote:
JJsKJ wrote:
hooperswish wrote:
I was thinking that the front differential fluid would not need changing often because of limited 4x4 use. But this is not the case I was informed, as it is always spinning, even if not engaged, therefore contaminating the fluid.
So my question is: Is the transfer case completely inoperative (command trac part time) when in 2x4? Or all the fluids constantly being sloshed around?
I am doing a full flush of all fluids over to synthetic, but the transfer case already has atf4 in it-full synthetic. So if it hasn't really moved much anyway, I am going to leave it alone.I only have 8000 miles, but I understand that an early flush gets out all of the break in metals in the diffs or tranny.
Thanks in advance for an answer....


I wouldn't bother changing the transfer case fluid that early. No problem waiting until the normal service interval.


Sounds good JJ. So the transfer case does nothing during normal 2by usage?(unlike the front diff)?
Thanks!


There are parts moving around in there but I couldn't tell you off the top of my head which stuff is moving. The chain is not engaged to the front shaft but the internals are moving to turn the rear drive shaft for sure.

_________________
99 TJ
71 C101
04 KJ
03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:56 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:38 am
Posts: 493
Location: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
That is exactly what I wanted to know JJ. Thanks a bunch, and I will follow your advice to hold off until scheduled drain and fill...

_________________
'06 3.7 sport 6 speed (long live manual tranny's)
tinted windows, cruise, midnight blue
Mopar roof rack
Royal Purple Synchromax in tranny
Royal Purple Maxgear in pumpkins
Full mopar skids, front diff collar
Future mods: Rock rails, B.F. Goodrich all terains. (In my dreams: Frankenlift)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:05 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:42 am
Posts: 2122
Location: Fort Collins, CO
FYI, my transfer case fluid looked terrible at 11,000 mi. Grey and cloudy, if that's any indication of fluid quality. I'm glad I changed it when I did, to Redline C+ ATF. Never been underwater with it or wheeled it hard either.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:44 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:38 am
Posts: 493
Location: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
CATCRD wrote:
FYI, my transfer case fluid looked terrible at 11,000 mi. Grey and cloudy, if that's any indication of fluid quality. I'm glad I changed it when I did, to Redline C+ ATF. Never been underwater with it or wheeled it hard either.


So the redline would be at least as good as the mopar atf4 (which I noticed is for sale at walmart now), right? I am always looking to upgrade...

_________________
'06 3.7 sport 6 speed (long live manual tranny's)
tinted windows, cruise, midnight blue
Mopar roof rack
Royal Purple Synchromax in tranny
Royal Purple Maxgear in pumpkins
Full mopar skids, front diff collar
Future mods: Rock rails, B.F. Goodrich all terains. (In my dreams: Frankenlift)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:57 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
Use Mopar ATF +4..

Front and rear diffs at 12k and tcase at 30k. I checked my tcase around 25k and the fluid looked great. Ive been offroad many, MANY times.. Usually if the fluid looks milky, that means it has water in it.. Which isnt good at all..

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com